Santa's Wonderland Business Question

10,247 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by One Louder
Buford T. Justice
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why don't they only do pre-arrival ticket purchases?
We drove past tonight and the line of traffic was unbelievable. Which made me think, some of those folks aren't getting in, or won't get in until very late in the evening.

If they did sold their tickets in advance, they could manage the traffic/parking/and the overall experience in a much more controlled manner.

???
TXAGBQ76
AG
They sell tickets in advance for everything including parking- the only exception I know of is food. Not their fault that people fail to take advantage of it.

I'm betting long traffic was waiting to park in the various on site lots, we have tickets for everything, but our prepaid parking took a while.
txgardengirl
I think a lot of what you see for lines are people that don't realize that the parking right by the park are pre-paid lots. All tickets are available for sale online- but not all people are online
Aggie
AG
Last night the northbound line was ridiculously long.. and that was just to go pass Santa wonderland to cross over 6 at Texas World Speedway to get in the ridiculously long southbound line.

No doubt some these waited in that line for a probably close to 2 hours.

Went by earlier today around 1:15 and a good amount of cars already were lined up and they open at 3.

That place just gets busier and busier each year.
Yes the family and kids like it but the lines and crowds just really push your patience to the max.
You have to have the right mindset going in
AggiePhil
AG
We call it Santa's Christmas Circus, the disaster in the pasture, or Six Flags Over Baby Jesus. Not our idea of a good time.
maroon barchetta
AggiePhil said:

We call it Santa's Christmas Circus, the disaster in the pasture, or Six Flags Over Baby Jesus. Not our idea of a good time.
LostInLA07
AG
How much is the helicopter arrival package?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Old Man ALERT: Last time I went to Santa's Wonderland, I was in high school. I took my girlfriend, now wife, there. Paid $10 and drove my own car through.

Maybe one day the clouds will yell back.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
AggiePhil said:

Yet here you are posting on a thread about the place so that you can voice how much you don't like the place.

Sounds about right.
techno-ag
AG
Glad to see it just keeps getting more and more successful. This is a BCS success story.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
AggiePhil
AG
I should clarify. I love the concept and the fact they bring a lot of people into our community. I just can't handle the insanely long lines and rat race type atmosphere. Maybe I'm spoiled cause I knew it back when it was just a drive-thru park. That's more our speed.
maroon barchetta
GiveEmHellBill said:

AggiePhil said:

Yet here you are posting on a thread about the place so that you can voice how much you don't like the place.

Sounds about right.

Can't decide if username checks out.
jja79
AG
I find it pretty amazing there could be a single negative comment about this local business. Think of the seasonal employment it creates for people who really need it. The employment for students who need it. The out of town money spent at other local businesses. The sales tax dollars that benefit this community.

EliteElectric
jja79 said:

I find it pretty amazing there could be a single negative comment about this local business. Think of the seasonal employment it creates for people who really need it. The employment for students who need it. The out of town money spent at other local businesses. The sales tax dollars that benefit this community.

Not to mention all of the LEOs that make their Christmas money there
BlackstoneBuilder
Go check out The Light Park, its a drive Christmas Light show all of the lights are synchronized to music. Its a great show!. There's two in Houston (Spring & Katy). Its also owned by an Aggie '04!

thelightpark.com
war hymn aggie
AG
Today, I learned from an employee that works there that the lines were backed up for1-2 miles for families waiting for the opportunity to get in to SW this past weekend.

Many locals continue to be critical of this business because of the entrance price, but many others from out of town continue to take the time to drive to our community & pay these "exorbitant" prices.

I used to think the same way, but the lines of cars waiting to get in BEFORE THANKSGIVING makes me think that it's OK to just enjoy the evening with my family (& especially to enjoy the excitement of my grandkid's smiles & giggles).

I'm looking forward to going with my family again this year, damn the admission prices (& I'm a cheapscate in most cases)
IMO, Christmas is all about memories & instilling traditions & relationships & we have the luxury of having this business in our own back yard, so I'm all for going on a cool, crisp weeknight in December. Helps me get into the Christmas Spirit,as well.

YOLO.

I have pledged to remember the happy times I spent with my friends & family (especially over the holidays).
The $$ spent will soon be forgotten.
Hoping that the the memories & relationships associated with these times will be remembered fondly/revered by the rest of the family, but they will always be etched in my memory, especially as I grow older, so that in itself is worth the price of admission.

techno-ag
AG
Well said war hymn aggie
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
one MEEN Ag
AG
Half of this board would love it if A&M stopped having classes so it would solve your traffic woes.
EliteElectric
war hymn aggie said:

Today, I learned from an employee that works there that the lines were backed up for1-2 miles for families waiting for the opportunity to get in to SW this past weekend.

Many locals continue to be critical of this business because of the entrance price, but many others from out of town continue to take the time to drive to our community & pay these "exorbitant" prices.

I used to think the same way, but the lines of cars waiting to get in BEFORE THANKSGIVING makes me think that it's OK to just enjoy the evening with my family (& especially to enjoy the excitement of my grandkid's smiles & giggles).

I'm looking forward to going with my family again this year, damn the admission prices (& I'm a cheapscate in most cases)
IMO, Christmas is all about memories & instilling traditions & relationships & we have the luxury of having this business in our own back yard, so I'm all for going on a cool, crisp weeknight in December. Helps me get into the Christmas Spirit,as well.

YOLO.

I have pledged to remember the happy times I spent with my friends & family (especially over the holidays).
The $$ spent will soon be forgotten.
Hoping that the the memories & relationships associated with these times will be remembered fondly/revered by the rest of the family, but they will always be etched in my memory, especially as I grow older, so that in itself is worth the price of admission.

100% This ^^^^^

I can make more money, I cannot make more time. In the end, in my opinion, the only thing that really matters in life is time spent with those we love and enjoy. We travel, we get the queso, and we go to Santa's Wonderland with our daughter every year, several times per year actually. We've been twice already lol. We also go to Renfest, Aggie football games Disney and all sorts of overpriced money traps, and pay more than this dad wants to at each place but we have such wonderful memories that we lock away in our hearts and carry forever. YMMV

My grandfather told me once "it's better to die with memories than regrets". He was right.
waltonloads11
AG
So if you buy parking in advance, do you still have to wait in the traffic line or can you cut?
MB19
AG
waltonloads11 said:

So if you buy parking in advance, do you still have to wait in the traffic line or can you cut?
Wait in line. Head to parking lot you paid for, and at the time you paid for it.

Hint: Don't go on a weekend.
MiMi
S
A look at future infrastructure options as Santa's Wonderland, south Brazos County grows

KBTX loves to get story ideas from this board.
Carny89
Why not just open it in September and close in February? Might ease up the congestion.
Buford T. Justice
AG
To bring this back to my question, does SW offer a walk-up/non-presale option? I'm focusing solely on a logistics aspect, not an emotional or community impact nature.
EliteElectric
Buford T. Justice said:

To bring this back to my question, does SW offer a walk-up/non-presale option? I'm focusing solely on a logistics aspect, not an emotional or community impact nature.
yes you can buy tickets at the gate
waltonloads11
AG
MB19 said:

waltonloads11 said:

Wait in line. Head to parking lot you paid for, and at the time you paid for it.

Hint: Don't go on a weekend.

So the only advantage of buying in advance is a cheaper price
ag009
AG
Not quite sure about these long parking lines. We have gone for years and just park in the bus lots. Ride a bus from the lot to the park. Kids love the bus ride, super easy, and pretty quick too. And we usually go on busy nights.
H2SAag
AG
Cars are currently going the wrong way on the feeders on both sides of Santa's wonderland. Something needs to change
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgGunNut
AG
Traffic is backed up on 6 to the Miligan/Peach Creek exit. Dead stop on the highway.
4lilmonkeys
Houston2AngeloAg said:

Cars are currently going the wrong way on the feeders on both sides of Santa's wonderland. Something needs to change
One of our kids was on the way to the Consol game and sent us a video of people standing outside their cars chatting while they waited in line. I'm afraid something bad is going to happen out there if there isn't a viable solution soon.
halibut sinclair
I've seen the arguments about how great Santa's Wonderland is for the local economy. I'm wondering - How many of these people clogging up the feeder road are from the local area and how many are from out of town? How many of those from out of town actually stay here in a hotel for a night or two or visit a local restaurant or retail establishment in CS or Bryan? I'm guessing it's not that many after they experience the "fun" of Santa's Wonderland.
ElephantRider
AG
halibut sinclair said:

I've seen the arguments about how great Santa's Wonderland is for the local economy. I'm wondering - How many of these people clogging up the feeder road are from the local area and how many are from out of town? How many of those from out of town actually stay here in a hotel for a night or two or visit a local restaurant or retail establishment in CS or Bryan? I'm guessing it's not that many after they experience the "fun" of Santa's Wonderland.

I know multiple people that have come from out of town to go to SW. They drove in, went to SW, and left town. The ones that came from Houston didn't really even make it to CS.
jja79
AG
But they did spend money that supports employment even if SW was their only stop.
localag242
You come to a dead stop coming north on 6 tonight. All roads around there completely clogged.
AggiePhil
AG
What a disaster.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.