Santa's Wonderland Business Question

10,323 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by One Louder
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
localag242 said:

You come to a dead stop coming north on 6 tonight. All roads around there completely clogged.
On Broadcastify, the police officers/sheriff deputies sound like they're ready to pull their hair out.

People were driving the wrong way on the feeder road to avoid the traffic jam caused by SW.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
EBrazosAg
AG
It's obvious they need to pay a impact fee. It won't help anything but at least CS can make some money off it ….
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
UmustBKidding
They would just pay it with the 150000 city gave them to bring more congestion
ChampsAg
Last night was by far the worst I have ever seen. At 5:00, there were cars on the highway shoulder at the southbound exit. Northbound was worse, backed up to FM 159.

We came home after 7:00 and exited to take Peach Creek over to Fitch. Traffic was still backed up to almost the 159 overpass.

I'm afraid it's going to take a multiple vehicle accident or fatality before action is taken.

Dispatch is apparently giving out the SW phone number when they get calls. We have multiple friends that live in the area already at their wits end and it's not even December.
AustinCountyAg
Planning on going tomm. Whats the easiest way to park? Pre pay for a lot or ride free shuttle? We've never been and I'm already cussing my wife….
555-PINF
There's a giant parking lot to the south of SW. Prepay and park there.
basketaggie
AG
halibut sinclair said:

I've seen the arguments about how great Santa's Wonderland is for the local economy. I'm wondering - How many of these people clogging up the feeder road are from the local area and how many are from out of town? How many of those from out of town actually stay here in a hotel for a night or two or visit a local restaurant or retail establishment in CS or Bryan? I'm guessing it's not that many after they experience the "fun" of Santa's Wonderland.
Take this for whatever you want, but in the fall of 2019 I was at a large travel conference in Montana. I was at a lunch table with several reps from Visit Louisiana. They asked where I was from in Texas and I said College Station. They told me, "oh we know CS!". I figured a convo about A&M was about to ensue, but no, it was all about Santa's Wonderland. They spent the whole lunch telling the other people at the table what an amazing experience it is and how they come for a weekend every year with their families. By the end of it, everyone at that table was convinced they should go to SW. And I was just sitting their quietly not saying a word because I've never went and I believe only one of our 4 children have went. I had never until that moment realized how much SW impacted people outside of our region.
Stive
AG
We live in Tyler and people talk to my wife about it all the time. We came down this weekend for the last volleyball game yesterday, were looking for some time kill on Friday night so the wife bought tickets online early and we opted to pay for the $20 lot when we got there.

We exited Peach Tree headed south at about 3:45 (park opens at 4:00) and walked into the park around 5:15. Once you're on property it actually all runs really efficiently. The mess is that there is only one main entrance to 90% of their parking (the entrance just south of the main complex). We left at 8:45 after my kids had a blast (and with me slightly admiring that I hadn't been miserable all night) and I was blown away at the amount of cars still trying to get in on both the north bound and south bound feeder roads.

A VERY rudimentary eyeball of the parking lots had me guessing that they cash flow $60,000+ on a busy night just on parking alone. I don't know how many they employ nor what their overhead is but that thing, per hour open, is printing money.

Also, my wife asked the lady at the front desk of our hotel why it was crowded at the hotel on Thanksgiving weekend with an away football game and campus virtually empty of students. The lady smiled and said "Santa's Wonderland". Yesterday at the hotel breakfast, based on listening to the kids sitting in the crowded seating area chattering, it was obvious that the woman was right. They'd all been the night before or were going that afternoon. There's zero doubt it's bringing a ton of money to the community as a whole.
techno-ag
AG
Awesome stories.

So glad SW is bringing in all those out of town visitors and all their money!
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
FlyRod
Friends and I had a nice time at the lights in Central Park this evening. Plenty of parking.
AustinCountyAg
Went yesterday and pulled into the parking lot at 2:20. Zero traffic getting in and we parked front row of the lot. Didn't pre pay park, just bought it once we pulled up. Stood in line to enter for about twenty minutes. Once inside everything was efficient and virtually zero wait. Granted we got there immediately when it opened and were able to knock out some of the "rides" early for the kids. I did pony up and buy the hayride express pass for everyone and it worked out great.

Not near the painful experience I was expecting. Also having both grandparents there to spend their money on the kids made it more tolerable. Could've easily dropped a **** ton of money there quickly.

By 7:30 it was packed. Luckily we were walking out at that time.
Captn_Ag05
AG
They have partnerships with some local hotels, but hopefully they can expand that, set up more hotel shuttles, and really push people to make a night of it and stay in town. It would bring more revenue to BCS and hopefully ease some of the traffic issues. They are getting a lot of heat this year for wait times and traffic, so I expect that they will use the off-season to try and work our solutions. They've grown so much over the past 5 years and haven't been able to keep up.
BCSWguru
you were there for five hours?
RDH80
AG
We went yesterday (Sunday) .
Prepaid parking in Prancer . Park opened at 3, we arrived 3:30 . 5 minute wait and only because 2 cars were purchasing at the gate .
Line to enter park due to security checks (metal detectors and all the dang wagons and strollers ) but truly only about 20 min .
Great time once we entered . A little beer , then some food and more beer , then it was dark and the fun started .
The Bandera BBQ was awful. Wrong orders , fatty, tough meat , whatever small amount of meat on the ribs was cooked so long it was like jerky . Ran out of some items by 5 pm . Cold food . Don't eat there .
Hayride line was long (45 min) and I'm too "cheap" to buy express passes . Hayride worth the wait . Overall great experience . (First time and I've lived here since 1981 ). Sunday night seems to be a good night to go .
EliteElectric
weeknights are good too, avoid Friday and Saturday.
The Collective
AG
So, I don't know if this breaks forum rules, but I happen to be an out of towner that usually visits SW each year with my family. We usually stay two nights in CS, eat out, try to make an Aggie basketball game, and show our kids College Station without the madness of a football weekend. Honestly, the lights in Central Park are my favorite experience each year - the crowds at SW aren't my thing!

Anyway, we've had a massive change of plans this year and are not going to make it into town. I have 4 super saver tickets (2 adults & 2 children) with some date restrictions. Anyone interested in purchasing them from me. Here are the remaining allowable dates per the face of the ticket.
November: 29th, 30th
December: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 24th, 25th, 26th,27th, 28th, 29th, 30th

Wife says these cost us $140. So, I'd say $100 OBO.
Hornbeck
Not everyone had a great time with the traffic it seems: https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/11/29/families-frustrated-after-traffic-issues-block-trip-to-santas-wonderland-in-college-station
techno-ag
AG
Hornbeck said:

Not everyone had a great time with the traffic it seems: https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/11/29/families-frustrated-after-traffic-issues-block-trip-to-santas-wonderland-in-college-station

Looks like some of it was out of their hands. I thought their response on Facebook was very professional:

Quote:

Our Santa's Wonderland team would like to sincerely apologize to guests that were negatively impacted by traffic delays on Friday, November 26th. There were 2 large unrelated accidents on the highway near Santa's Wonderland that diverted traffic onto the feeder roads. This additional traffic combined with increased guest attendance, due to strong rain chances on Saturday, caused our parking operation to fall behind. Our team is taking steps to better prepare for and prevent this type of event in the future.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
AustinCountyAg
LSCSN said:

damn near yes....and we still didn't do it all.
The Collective
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

LSCSN said:

damn near yes....and we still didn't do it all.

As a person who has attended 10+ times, this is actually my greatest nightmare.
ChampsAg
Their response on Facebook was literally ridiculous in my opinion. The traffic was backed up from Fitch to FM 159. To assume that the accidents and resulting traffic issues were not caused by the SW traffic is hard to believe. I witnessed people cutting across the grass at 5:00 PM. There are also multiple people that have said they did not see any accidents.

SW has been going online and deleting negative reviews and comments on their FB page. Go look at Google if you want to see reviews. I know that some reviews are fake, I get that.

I also know numerous people that live around SW that are beyond frustrated. A family friend said it took over an hour for her to get home Friday night when it usually takes 20 minutes.

SW is obviously overselling both parking and the park. They are not only selling parking online where you pick a time to show up, they let anyone else buy as they drive up. Selling parking in two hour blocks is also unrealistic. No one stays there for just two hours.

Bottom line for me is this season is going to be a huge public relations nightmare for them. Management needs to respond and not keep sending the customer service team to deal with it.
One Louder
AG
Some local friends sat in their car waiting to get in for over 3 hours and they finally bailed because their little one couldn't handle being in the car any longer.

On the other hand, we have family coming in from Louisiana this weekend to go to SW. This will be their second visit.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.