Suggestions: Where do you bank and why?

7,184 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by angus55
BulldAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We just moved to CS from the Katy area and our bank doesn't have any branches here so we need to switch. Haven't bank "shopped" in a while, I would assume all of their fees are similar, so on the surface it doesn't seem to matter where we move our $$.

Recommendations are appreciated.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Wells Fargo, that's what I got at new student orientation in the pavilion a million years ago.

No fees, branches all over.

I would probably move to somewhere local if it weren't a pain in the butt to change all my auto-pay stuff.
Rearview
AG
I can highly recommend Brenham National Bank. Local, free ATMs anywhere.
happyinBCS
Brenham National they pay 1% on checking everything else is free including blue bell ice cream
BMo
Brenham here.
Donny Hall
American Momentum and Chase..... But all these suggestions are great. (I have friends at both and my father-in-law went to school with Don)

I would honestly keep a national bank and a local bank you like near your house.
ElephantRider
AG
Chase, because it's what I had when I moved here and I don't see a need to go through the hassle of switching.
MiMi
S
I've had an account with Brazos Valley Schools Credit Union for 26 years. I moved from Bank of America after I got married since I hated BOA and my husband had a BVSCU account.
Vinewood_03
Anywhere but Wells Fargo.
The Anchor
AG
Chase. Mobile app is so easy to work with.
happyinBCS
So of all these recommendations do you get 1% (now days that is alot of interest) up to 25K, great mobile app, free bill pay ,ATM refunds worldwide I don't know of any other bank that pays 1% just asking because I think it is the best deal around and no I don't work there just a very happy customer
trouble
AG
Charles Schwab. All of our investments are there as well. We do everything online/mobile wherever we live so it didn't make sense to change when we moved here. They also refund all ATM fees so there's not an issue with that either.
happyinBCS
I have been with Schwab for about 40 years they are great, but I have to have a local bank also
trouble
AG
I can't even remember the last time I went into a local bank. I guess about 10 years ago when I got remarried and we consolidated everything to Schwab.
boredatwork08
AG
We're currently with Aggieland Credit Union. Traditional banking is great but their online services are stuck in the early '00s even after the redesign. Anyone know of a local bank with proper online banking?
techno-ag
AG
boredatwork08 said:

We're currently with Aggieland Credit Union. Traditional banking is great but their online services are stuck in the early '00s even after the redesign. Anyone know of a local bank with proper online banking?
Most of your smaller locals outsource the online stuff rather than run it in-house, TBH.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
happyinBCS
BNB has a great online system
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Brenham , City, and Prosperity are all great
GrimesCoAg95
AG
We have been happy with Guaranty Bank & Trust.

www.gnty.com
threecatcorner
Brenham National Bank. As others have said, there's free Blue Bell ice cream in the lobby. They are also really on the ball about noticing possible fraud. They only have one location here and have two other locations (Brenham and one other place), but it's free to use other ATMs with them (they cover the fee that the ATM from the other bank charges you; I assume there's a max but don't know what it is).
halibut sinclair
We've been with Wells Fargo and it's predecessors in this area for over 30 years. No complaints.
BCStalk
Been with Wells Fargo for almost 20 years without issue. Have had several vehicle loans and a mortgage through them.
BulldAg99
AG
Thanks everyone!
ratfacemcdougal
Prosperity Bank. Tons of branches around texas
LOYAL AG
AG
I bank at BB&T now Truist but primarily that's a relationship thing.

I would wonder why anyone that's not a business owner would need a local bank. Before I started my business I banked at USAA and it never crossed my mind that there wasn't a branch between here and San Antonio. Branches are mostly billboards these days for a product that has become mostly a commodity from the consumers perspective.

Having said all of that I deal with a lot of banks on behalf of my clients. I like Prosperity with one glaring problem. They aren't on Zelle. I know that sounds like an odd objection but I have a client who has a client that wants to pay by Zelle and we've actually run those deposits through my BB&T now Truist account. 285 branches and not on the bank oriented cash transfer app. Just an odd decision to me.

If I were choosing from scratch it would likely be Amarillo National Bank. Their small business lending seems to be well run and that's really where my focus tends to be for these decisions.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Tailgate88
AG
ratfacemcdougal said:

Prosperity Bank. Tons of branches around texas

We love Prosperity. Have been super happy with them for well over a decade.
australopithecus robustus
Amarillo National Bank is the largest family owned bank in the nation, believe it or not. They are great because they have that small feel but they are big enough to get things done and have amenities.
KenJohse
AG
What type of online banking services does your present bank offer? I have two bank accounts out of town and do all the bill paying online as well as mobile deposits.
tbone94
AG
Strongly recommend Guaranty Bank for an easy, convenient experience that has all the feel of down home banking.
skeetboy3
AG
Brenham is far and away the best, good interest, free blue bell, and phenomenal staff. If you go with any regularity, they will know how you are. Example of their service, I was traveling to Europe so I ordered some euros, they arrived late, one of the managers drove to easterwood to deliver them to me.
Vinewood_03
Did Brenham National Bank participate in PPP?
threecatcorner
I have no idea if they participated in that. If they did, I'm confident they would have done so appropriately and not in a scam sort of way.
JKAG10
AG
Aggieland is trash. Both customer service and their online banking system are awful.

I had never heard of BNB but I'll be looking to switch next week.
threecatcorner
BNB is located at Southwest Pkwy and Hwy 6 service road, across from Allen Honda.
Sleepnumber
AG
American Momentum. Don't seem to get much love; but everything about them is first-rate.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.