Suggestions: Where do you bank and why?

7,263 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by angus55
Aggies76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

Amarillo National Bank is the largest family owned bank in the nation, believe it or not. They are great because they have that small feel but they are big enough to get things done and have amenities.
Does ANB have a branch in BCS? I grew up in Amarillo and my family always banked there. Had no idea they had expanded like this.
BMo
I believe they are the former Commerce Nat'l Bank at the corner of University and Spring Loop.
UmustBKidding
Also at exxon at welsh and 2818 next to donald doughnut.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Quote:

Does ANB have a branch in BCS
Several branches sprinkled around town. Been with them a long time. Good experiences - no issues at all.
Aggies76
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

Amarillo National Bank is the largest family owned bank in the nation, believe it or not. They are great because they have that small feel but they are big enough to get things done and have amenities.
Yep, just looked it up. The CEO of Amarillo National Bank is Richard Ware. My dad grew up with the Ware boys in Amarillo.
peachbasket
Switched from Wells Fargo to Verabank and couldn't be happier!
peachbasket
Aggieranger
Everyone using an "online" bank what happens when you need a cashiers check or need your Insurance check signed by your mortgage holder ( local bank )? While you can get most services online or thru an app there is something to be said about being able to walk into a branch and be able to talk to a live person!
17yrs banking experience 12 as a branch manager.
trouble
AG
I can't remember the last time I needed either of those. I've also never had my mortgage through a local bank or needed them to sign an insurance check.

mason12
AG
A couple years ago when I was renting we set up auto payments with our bank to mail a check to our landlord the first of the month. When we went to buy a house I just used the banks secure portal to request a check be mailed or a wire be initiated (whatever the title company told us to do).

When someone writes us a personal check we use a mobile app to deposit.
We have always wired money instead of providing cashier's check. For insurance claims, we mail check to mortgage company and they sign and send back to us via overnight mail. Neither has ever been a problem. Our banking is through USAA and they are perfectly set up for non-local customers so their online system is superb.
mason12
AG
Can someone explain why an insurance check would need to be sign by the mortgage company/bank? We filed a claim with our insurance company after last years hail storms and never went through the mortgage company.
whoop1995
AG
mason12 said:

Can someone explain why an insurance check would need to be sign by the mortgage company/bank? We filed a claim with our insurance company after last years hail storms and never went through the mortgage company.
They own your house and you are buying it from them with your monthly checks

Q: Why can't I just deposit and use my insurance checks? Why does it have to go through my mortgage company first when I paid the insurance premiums?
When you borrowed money to buy your home, you agreed that one way the mortgage company would be protected would be that the mortgage company would be co-insured, right along with you, for any harm to your "improvements."
Your mortgage documents are set up to protect the mortgage company if you take your insurance rebuild money and disappear. In other words, your property and the house are the collateral for the loan; so if you cashed the insurance checks but did not rebuild, then the mortgage company would have a problem. The loan and insurance documents set up a system to prevent you from doing that.
Unless and until you get your mortgage company to agree to something different (in writing), every Coverage A check you get, and maybe some of your other coverage checks, will say something like: "Pay to the order of Jane Doe and Jane Doe's Mortgage Company."
You will be required to endorse/sign the check first, and your mortgage company will deposit the money into its own account, and then release the money to you later, once you have started the process of rebuilding your home.
Once your house is completely paid for, the homeowners insurance company will take the mortgage company off of the insured documents and you won't need their endorsement.

If your winter weather/hail claim was just for cars and the cars are paid for then the insurance check would be just made out to you.
mason12
AG
no it was a roof and fence claim. They sent us the money and we paid the companies. Heck since they paid us and not the roofing company when it came up to renew homeowners insurance we had to provide proof that we made the fixes to get a discount.
happyinBCS
I looked up ANB their checking account is just like BNB except it pays 50% less interest. I would change if I could find something better but will stay with BNB they are good folks and offer the best checking account
trouble
AG
Same. I haven't had a mortgage company listed on an insurance check since the first house I owned in the 90s
MisterShipWreck
Chase, because there are branches in Houston, Austin, San Antonio - and all around the country.
woodiewood1
I use my Fidelity account and Fidelity credit card. Some money goes in a cash account, some in my IRA and more goes in my SEP IRA. I mobile deposit any check I get.

I also use paypal for most of my purchases and sending and receiving money.

I haven't been into a "bank" in probably 25 years for my own business.

In two home hail damage claims and two fire damage claims, when I had a mortgage on my house I never had the lender as a recipient on the checks.

Jinx
Bumping this thread, looking to move to a local Credit Union and wanted some updated opinions.

Tried first with Brazos Valley Schools Credit Union as I'd heard good things. I sent an e-mail with a specific question about how to go about opening an account in person at a branch to get an idea of the level of customer service and the reply I got was

"You can do this online..." and no other info.

The signature indicated this was a manager. Seeing as we weren't already members and just putting feelers out I can say theyve ruled themselves out! I did try getting someone on the phone, and it was a legitimate question I did not see on the website.
happyinBCS
Brenham national bank is the best why do you say credit union
Jinx
Sorry, thats what I was speaking with someone about so it was on the brain. Does not have to be a CU.

Edit: Called Brenham. Simple question. Simple, quick answer.

Thanks.
happyinBCS
you are welcome, grab you an ice cream sandwich when you are there
FamousAgg
I have a few tin cans buried in the back yard. Make sure you initial your bills so there is no confusion
RyanFromTexas
It's amazing to me how much run the "free" ice cream at BNB is getting in this thread. Compared with costly ad campaigns, hiring outside creative agencies, or putting up a few billboards, a thousand dollars (or two) of ice cream novelties a month is a bargain for generating this amount of good will and making your brand stand out.
angus55
Normangee State Bank. Great small town service but good online stuff/app as well. Just wish ATM was in town. Rock Solid!!
We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have, or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-b******, were going to rip out their living G*******d guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun c********** by the bushel-f****** basket. War is a bloody killing business. You've got to spill their blood or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shot them in the guts.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.