Moving to B/CS - High Schools

7,227 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Stupe
Die Hard Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are looking at moving back to B/CS at the end of this school year. We have a Sophomore at A&M, a HS Senior who will attend Blinn/A&M, and an 8th grade son who will be entering HS.

Our preference for the 8th grader is to have him attend CSHS. Our understanding is that the attendance maps were changed within the past couple of years and the area that we were looking at moving to/building (west of Wellborn) was changed to Consol attendance.

Our boys are and have always participated in athletics. The 8th grader plays football, baseball, track & basketball.

The older boys spent a few years in a 6A school, then we moved to a 4A school where the oldest graduated and the middle will graduate from this year.

They preferred the 4A school for the smaller size, but the academics (college readiness) were tougher/better at the 6A school. In athletics, in the 6A school they were forced to play 1 sport. In the 4A school they want them to participate in as many sports/activities as possible.

Where we eventually buy/build will probably be decided based on the high school. We have just assumed, rightly or wrongly, that CS high schools are better than the Bryan high schools based on our research.

Any input regarding high schools would be appreciated.
EBrazosAg
AG
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
histag10
AG
I guess I'm confused on what is important to you/your children. Bryan is better than CS in some things, and CS is better than Bryan in some. It really just depends on what is important to you, the atmosphere you are wanting, the size school you want, and if you are willing to pay CS insane property taxes (WAY higher than Bryan).
In years past, yes, College Station schools were generally higher rated than Bryan, but that isn't necessarily the case anymore.
histag10
AG
If he is wanting to play multiple sports, I agree- look outside brazos County. Franklin ISD in Robertson County is really good for academics and athletics. I believe they are 3A now. Mumford is smaller, but better academics. Normangee is decent academics, but decent athletics. Iola is good academics.
Die Hard Ag
AG
I guess my question is if you were moving to B/CS, which HS would you want your kid to attend?
histag10
AG
Again, it depends on what you are looking for out of a school

Bryan High School and Rudder are both Title IV schools. For that reason alone, most people would probably choose CSHS or Consol (the idea that wealth = better).

If I was wanting my child to play multiple sports, I would look outside of Brazos County, probably Franklin. If I wanted my kid to go to the best rated academic school. I WOULD LOOK AT Mumford or Iola.

We are zoned BISD, but we are trying to transfer to Normangee or Mumford (Franklin doesn't accept transfers, or else we would go there).

I'm not a big fan of the 5A and 6A schools. I'm not a fan of the culture in BISD or CSISD. But that is just my personal opinion. My kid is in elementary.
UmustBKidding
My wife has worked in both CS high schools, and there is not a good one, they both are. High school issues occur at both schools and unfortunately the remedies that were used when we went to school are not allowed any more. And buying to be in a specific school is futile and a total waste of time. There are a few program that are available in only one school or another like culinary arts but sounds like that those are not what is driving your decision. Also remember that districts are forced to balance both on racial and social economic basis which is actually what drives the line moves more than population increases. So any belief that those make a school better than the other is just wrong or will be with the next realignment, and all the administrators hands are tied by the same policy so remedies are near identical.
While most equate CSHS=Newer=better, the facts are not that simple. Typically Consol has more National merit scholars in a given year, offers more and often high performing AP students and other things that would not be consistent with bad schools. Both schools are going to be what the student puts their effort into. Unfortunately in both they will have to deal with less than ideal classmates and their ability to work hard in this environment is a necessity in all public schools in these time.
One datapoint is that in her work in those schools several of the staff had been at Rudder and Bryan HS and that they say any day at in their job at CSISD schools is a cake walk compared to a day when they were in Bryan.
My kids went to consol, they are all graduated, and have good jobs. My sons best friend from consol, had 4.0 BSME from TAMU, 4.0 MSME from MIT, Winner on both hyperloop and Robots for good teams, Hired by JPL to do the Mars Sample return design and on the side is a member of the SawBlaze term on Battle bots. Lots of very successful students from the school that most on here would equate to the Bad option in CS.

histag10
AG
Using experience only from teachers who left BISD as your sole data point for BISD being inferior is flawed. There are many teachers in BISD who won't leave because they love it, and there are many teachers who now work with BISD that used to be employed with CSISD who would likely say the same as the ones who left BISD.
UmustBKidding
I know teachers that say that but these specific instances are administrative staff and talking about discipline issues BISD vs CSISD. There are great kids in Bryan schools lots in programs I mentor. Also great teachers, and lots that were with CSISD in the past. I believe their Academy programs are great. But the turmoil caused by Wallace forced many of the great long time teachers out. Whitbeck was a godsend much improvement top down. I was sad when she left. I hope the district makes a great choice and believe Carrabine is doing well but who ends up in that potion can make or poison their near term future.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I'd buy more of the house or neighborhood you want than the school you want. Both are fine schools.

If your kid is a stud athlete he could play a fall and spring sport but that would be it
UmustBKidding
This x1000
If this wasn't about athletics id tell you go to Mumford.
Stupe
S
Die Hard Ag said:

I guess my question is if you were moving to B/CS, which HS would you want your kid to attend?
Either CSHS or Consolidated.

Both are considered competitive highs schools by major universities if that is the route that you are going. Even if they finish outside of the top quarter of their class, they will at minimum get accepted to Blinn Team.

Quote:

I'd buy more of the house or neighborhood you want than the school you want. Both are fine schools.
Exactly. We bought the house we wanted and it was zoned for CSHS. If we could have agreed on a price for a house in Pebble Creek we would have been zoned for Consolidated. Either way we would have been fine.
Stupe
S
Quote:

But the turmoil caused by Wallace forced many of the great long time teachers out.
That guy is a snake. People like him are why tarring and feathering should still be legal.

A lot of teachers came back after he left.
cavscout96
AG
CSHS and Consol both have had success in athletics recently.

Bryan seems hit or miss and Rudder just made the FB playoff for the first time in their short history.

I can't speak to the academics or discipline of either ISD as my kids are homeschooled.

I will say that the perception that one system is dramatically better than the other is largely inaccurate. I've seen rock stars and duds from all four schools.

I will say that we moved out of CSISD for a couple of reasons including the exorbitant BC and CDISD taxes and the city coucil.

scs01
Stupe said:

Die Hard Ag said:

Either CSHS or Consolidated.

Both are considered competitive highs schools by major universities if that is the route that you are going. Even if they finish outside of the top quarter of their class, they will at minimum get accepted to Blinn Team.

Quote:

Exactly. We bought the house we wanted and it was zoned for CSHS. If we could have agreed on a price for a house in Pebble Creek we would have been zoned for Consolidated. Either way we would have been fine.
Agree completely. We have kids at both high schools right now. I think there are some differences in student composition and culture between the schools, but they aren't extreme and we have no reason at all to generically recommend one over the other. There are unavoidably going to be differences in quality of individual teachers/coaches/programs, but there is little difference in what courses or extracurriculars are offered or the overall quality of the schools.
Die Hard Ag
AG
Thanks for the replies. Our decision won't be based on athletics, but he does play sports.
histag10
AG
I'm obviously in the minority, but I really disliked Whitbeck, and I wasn't sad to see her leave.

In my opinion, Whitbeck's advancements in BISD's culture were largely smoke and mirrors.
UmustBKidding
Maybe when you move from what imho is scum of the earth im less worried about smoke or mirrors. Unfortunately i think smoke and mirrors are in almost every district. The one i worry about is the CDIO position, the chief dis information officer that they all have.
isitjustme
AG
If your kids are intelligent and/or driven, and like a challenge, you may want to consider Bryan High and their International Baccalaureate program.

If your kids are intelligent and/or driven, and are so inclined, you may want to consider the Bryan Collegiate and they could have an AA from Blinn at the same time they graduate high school.

If your kids are intelligent and/or driven, and are considering a trade, you may want to consider the CTE program that BISD has available through BHS or Rudder.

If your kids are intelligent and/or driven, and have a desire for AP courses/college prep, you may want to consider CHS or AMCHS as both are good in that area and are well respected schools around the state.

If your kids are not intelligent and/or driven, it may not matter which school you choose.

I made no comments on Harmony, International, or the private schools because I don't know much about them. Also, it doesn't matter where you live to attend any of them.
spike427
AG
histag10 said:

I guess I'm confused on what is important to you/your children. Bryan is better than CS in some things, and CS is better than Bryan in some. It really just depends on what is important to you, the atmosphere you are wanting, the size school you want, and if you are willing to pay CS insane property taxes (WAY higher than Bryan).
In years past, yes, College Station schools were generally higher rated than Bryan, but that isn't necessarily the case anymore.

Taxes are higher in Bryan. Now property values? If those are lower there may be savings. But Bryan has been higher than CS for at least the last few years.

CS - 2.243318 (CSISD 1.215200)
Bryan - 2.349300 (BISD 1.226800)
histag10
AG
spike427 said:

histag10 said:

Taxes are higher in Bryan. Now property values? If those are lower there may be savings. But Bryan has been higher than CS for at least the last few years.

My apologies. I guess I didn't realize that.

I guess in general, if you hate insane property taxes, live outside brazos County.
spike427
AG
Amen to that! It really is a chunk of change.
JP76
spike427 said:

histag10 said:

Keep in mind CSU rates are higher than BTU rates so there really isn't much difference if any
histag10
AG
No joke! My utilities in CS were typically 450-500/ month when we lived in town.

Living north of Bryan (and calculating my electric, trash, and water), I pay around 300/month.
91_Aggie
AG
Nvm.. already addressed
cavscout96
AG
Electric with CSU last month 270
Electric at new house same time frame... 150

Granted new house is spray foam and brand new HVAC

Home in CS is 1996 with one new and one older HVAC with traditional blown insulation
ElephantRider
AG
spike427 said:

histag10 said:

Get out of here with your facts

Although both are better than the small town we moved from
EBrazosAg
AG
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
George Costanza
"In years past, yes, College Station schools were generally higher rated than Bryan, but that isn't necessarily the case anymore."

BISD is on an upswing, but CSISD is still much higher rated.
oldag00
AG
Bryan High is the only campus in BCS to offer the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme.
maroon barchetta
histag10 said:

Using experience only from teachers who left BISD as your sole data point for BISD being inferior is flawed. There are many teachers in BISD who won't leave because they love it, and there are many teachers who now work with BISD that used to be employed with CSISD who would likely say the same as the ones who left BISD.

Help me out here.

Your kid is in elementary.
You want to get out of BISD.
Someone asks if they should put their soon-to-be high schooler in BISD or CSISD, and if the latter, which high school.
You then defend the honor of BISD, that you want to get out of, by criticizing anecdotal evidence from UMustBe Kidding while also providing faulty info about tax rates.

Did I just recap all of that correctly?

This thread is odd.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
EBrazosAg said:

At CSHS there is almost no chance he will be allowed to play multiple sport's - at least not "big3". If you want that, living in Brazos Co (outside the areas S in Navasota ISD - then you are limited to a private school or homeschool association.

Depends entirely on the sport and timing if the season. My son was football/ soccer. No issues. CSHS has plenty of multisport athletes, but hard anywhere to play multiple sports that are in-season simultaneously
TAMU1990
AG
I know Fedora at Consol encourages multisport athletes. Several football players also play baseball, basketball, powerlifting, or run track.
EBrazosAg
AG
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
spike427 said:

histag10 said:

Glad someone else pointed this out. Very common misperception!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.