Moving to B/CS - High Schools

7,325 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Stupe
FILO505
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seriously, just move where you want and then talk to the district you want your kids to attend. Don't be a jerk. Just say you want your kid to go to a certain high school, regardless of the dumbest rezoning in the history of CSISD. If you want them in BISD, do the same.

We got rezoned, but the school boards are dumb. My kid is going where I hoped. Just had to have a 5 minute conversation. This ain't a major city like Houston. Don't be an a$$, and you get to help navigate your kid's HS future
cavscout96
AG
Three Twenties and A Ten said:

spike427 said:

histag10 said:

I guess I'm confused on what is important to you/your children. Bryan is better than CS in some things, and CS is better than Bryan in some. It really just depends on what is important to you, the atmosphere you are wanting, the size school you want, and if you are willing to pay CS insane property taxes (WAY higher than Bryan).
In years past, yes, College Station schools were generally higher rated than Bryan, but that isn't necessarily the case anymore.

Taxes are higher in Bryan. Now property values? If those are lower there may be savings. But Bryan has been higher than CS for at least the last few years.

CS - 2.243318 (CSISD 1.215200)
Bryan - 2.349300 (BISD 1.226800)

Glad someone else pointed this out. Very common misperception!

The rate is immaterial. It's the bottom line figure that matters.

A comparable home in Bryan has a smaller tax bill than one in CS.

Plus CS gets you 15 different ways on other fees (taxes).

To argue otherwise is smoke and mirrors.
cavscout96
AG
EBrazosAg said:

I know multiple families who would say otherwise. I have lived here 25 years and the only public school with a high volume consistent exodus for multi sport issues is CSHS with their AD FB Coach. Challenging in the other 3 large local schools. Nearly impossible at CSHS with current admin. I'll stand by that statement and await repudiation with evidence.

For clarification, are you staying that there is an admin policy in CSISD that students may only participate in one varsity sport?

Is this explicit policy or "unwritten rule?"

I ask because I know several students who are multi-sport athletes in CSISD.

Sounds like a pretty dumb "policy" to me. Why limit your available pool?

Focus on a single sport to improve results?

More opportunities for students to participate?

Allows student more time to focus on academics?

#1 seems like the most likely scenario, but I've heard and read countless commentary and studies on the performance benefits and injury/overuse mitigation in multi-sport participation.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
EBrazosAg said:

I know multiple families who would say otherwise. I have lived here 25 years and the only public school with a high volume consistent exodus for multi sport issues is CSHS with their AD FB Coach. Challenging in the other 3 large local schools. Nearly impossible at CSHS with current admin. I'll stand by that statement and await repudiation with evidence.

Repudiation with evidence? I just told you my son is a two sport athlete at CSHS, and there are many. But a football player is not going to be able to play another fall sport at the same time. Reason for that should be obvious It all depends on the sport and what's in season. You're passing on second-hand info. Get off your high horse. Good lord.
Stupe
S
EBrazosAg said:

You can stand by it, but it's incorrect.

My son was a multi-sport letter winner and so were most of teammates.

Quote:

CSHS with their AD FB Coach.
Coach Huff encourages athletes to compete in more than one sport. My son was going to drop one and Huff did his best to convince him otherwise.

There are one sport athletes, but it's not because Coach Huff discourages participation in more than one.
KaneIsAble
AG
here's a helpful link if you had not already found it.

https://p19cdn4static.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_1301440/File/Board/High%20School%20Boundary%20Adjustment%20-%202018/125740-2d2b898b-4be2-472a-9840-706f77c33874.pdf

CSHS is past max capacity at the moment so I'm interested to see if they will allow that to continue and wait on what they presume is the natural progression of the intended rebalancing (try not to laugh). I saw they currently have 6-7 portables and I believe Consol is under capacity currently but I'm sure someone on here can confirm that factually. I'm not stating that as 100% certain; just what I have been told regarding Consol. The portables are there 100%.
aggielawyer00
AG
At the start of the school year, Consol had more students than CSHS. Based on the enrollment numbers turned in to the State for District Realignment purposes, they are VERY close in numbers...I think within about 15-25 of each other. As such, the two will very likely be back in the same district next year. Will be interesting to see how it plays out after the first of the year.
lockett93
AG

spike427 said:

Taxes are higher in Bryan. Now property values? If those are lower there may be savings. But Bryan has been higher than CS for at least the last few years.

However, CS utilities jacks their rates to provide to the general fund so in effect, the tax rates are similar.

And would you consider Brazos Christian School?
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
lockett93 said:

spike427 said:

However, CS utilities jacks their rates to provide to the general fund so in effect, the tax rates are similar.

*This is correct.

And would you consider Brazos Christian School?

*???

Die Hard Ag
AG
What do you know about Brazos Christian?
lockett93
AG
Die Hard Ag said:

What do you know about Brazos Christian?

My two went there. My son from 5th grade on, daughter from 2nd grade. Both in college now. Ask here or message me if you want to chat about the school.
nickstro66
AG
If you're interested, I recommend taking a look at Allen Academy. They offer great academic and athletic opportunities. Just about everyone in the high school plays multiple sports.

I do not have PM capabilities but if you are interested, I can definitely give you more info.
Hittag1492
AG
TAMU1990 said:

I know Fedora at Consol encourages multisport athletes. Several football players also play baseball, basketball, powerlifting, or run track.
This is true-he actually feels it makes them better overall athletes and improves performance in football overall. Biggest issue typically is the overlap of schedules more than anything, and that is true anywhere.
Stupe
S
I guess I was wrong about the "purple" people hating Consol and wanting them to fail.

It was really disheartening to hear everyone keeping up with Consol's game against Barbers Hill last night via phone calls, text, Max Preps, and Dave Campbell. All of those people cheering and high fiving when Consol would score...just hateful.

The worst part was all of the hate everyone showed when Consol scored what turned out to be the game winning touchdown as we were leaving the stadium in Tyler. All of those people at the CS game in purple jumping up and down and clapping for Consol....it was just so mean.

Just downright disgusting how they wanted Consol to fail by being happy that they were moving on in the playoffs.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.