Cook Shack

9,358 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by FlyRod
rsa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stopped by for lunch today -- very nicely done. Went with the chicken (medium heat) & waffles, and have plenty left over for lunch tomorrow. Good variety of menu items, but not so many as to be overwhelming. Looking forward to trying their other items.

FlyRod
Never heard of them but looks good! Nice sides too (huge Texas caviar fan).
Donny Hall
do they do memphis hot style chicken?
Chrundle the Great
AG
What are their hours? Website doesn't say from what I can tell.
rsa
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

What are their hours? Website doesn't say from what I can tell.
Maybe 11 to 10? Most of their shops are open those hours.
ChampsAg
I had the chicken & waffles medium with sweet heat sauce. Friend had the tacos.

I didn't think the chicken was anything special. Fries were nice and crispy but a little salty.

Friend's tacos were good he said. He had the dragon fries and they were a little salty as well.

It was $30 for the two of us with drink. Entrees come with one side. Plenty of food. Chicken and waffles had four tenders and lots of fries.

Will definitely try again for the ribs. Rib and tender combo not much more than an entree.
mgreen
I went today and had the chicken and waffles. I was skeptical but loved it. It was so large I bought half home to my wife. Even reheated she raved over the chicken. It is not frozen chicken.
studioone
Texas Caviar? Hmm..
Tibbers
It's good stuff. Large portions, tasty food. It's quick. Good spot.
tfunk02
AG
Annoys me when you cannot find dietary restriction information on a company website... Stupid celiac disease...
texasaggie2015
AG
I'll need to try this place out when I'm back in town. Love me some Nashville hot chicken
halibut sinclair
Looking forward to trying their hottest seasoning!
AggiePhil
AG
Tried it today. Amazing!!! Even the mild seasoning had a good kick to it, so order one heat level down from what you think you want. Also, the Sweet Heat and Cookshack sauces were awesome! Only complaint is that the fries were over-seasoned.
MiMi
S
I also tried it today. Very good. They're not kidding when they call them jumbo tenders. My husband and son ordered the 5 tender meal and both brought home leftovers. AggiePhil is correct when recommending to order one heat level below you normally choose. The medium is pretty hot. The Texas Caviar is not a traditional recipe - no back-eyed peas pickled in a vinaigrette-style dressing - it was still good, but corn was the primary ingredient along with black beans, onion, and red pepper. Dragon fries were good and spicy. They have a small bar area with draft beer, wine, and margaritas.
Tibbers
The place reminds me of Hattie B's in Nashville. Good *****
KidDoc
AG
The ribs have me curious! I love fried chicken and tenders but I'm middle aged and chubby so don't need to dabble in that poison!

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MiMi
S
Quote:

The ribs have me curious!
I tried the ribs today. I'd say they were just OK. Not bad, but not great either. They do have a couple of salad choices with grilled chicken. The chicken tacos have fried tenders, but I'm wondering if you can get them grilled instead?
FlyRod
The best Nashville hot chicken I've had here to date was one of Torchy's tacos of the month. I genuinely hope we get the real deal here.
halibut sinclair
Wonder what happened to the Dave's Hot Chicken that was supposed to open this year?

Eagle article
Rex Racer
AG
My wife and I went there last week (after the Auburn game). I enjoyed the ribs (very meaty!), and we both loved the chicken and waffles. The waffles were very light and airy. Good stuff!
TyHolden
AG
Anybody try the AMF spice (hottest one)? I've never had anything that I couldn't eat but I got the chicken sandwich with the AMF spice and I thought I was going to die after first bite. I don't know what pepper is on there but it's ****ing hot.

My daughter touched it and got it in her eye and had to sit under cold water for 5 minutes before she could open them.

Much hotter than habanero. ghost pepper maybe?
rc_cat
According to this it has ghost, carolina reaper and scorpion peppers.
halibut sinclair
TyHolden said:

Anybody try the AMF spice (hottest one)? I've never had anything that I couldn't eat but I got the chicken sandwich with the AMF spice and I thought I was going to die after first bite. I don't know what pepper is on there but it's ****ing hot.

My daughter touched it and got it in her eye and had to sit under cold water for 5 minutes before she could open them.

I have tried it - I love the super hot stuff, but that AMF is too much. I'll stick with the Texas Hot at the Cookshack. It's perfect.
TyHolden
AG
rc_cat said:

Holy crap - they need to put a warning on that thing. At least, list the peppers used. Somebody gonna die.
BCStalk
I wasn't brave enough to get hot. Ended up at medium with fries. Pretty good food
halibut sinclair
BCStalk said:

I wasn't brave enough to get hot. Ended up at medium with fries. Pretty good food

Mrs. Sinclair thought the medium was not hot enough.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Love me some Hattie B's!
IWannaGoFast1
AG
Just tried the Texas Hot chicken sandwich last night. Very good, very hot. I wasn't expecting that. For your average spice lover, seems just about right.

Staff was very nice, place was clean. Will go back!
Eliminatus
AG
TyHolden said:

Ugh. The idiot child in my head who loves spicy food is salivating at the challenge you present here but my now old man stomach and heart are cringing at the pain that is going to happen and soon.
TyHolden
AG
Eliminatus said:

TyHolden said:

Ugh. The idiot child in my head who loves spicy food is salivating at the challenge you present here but my now old man stomach and heart are cringing at the pain that is going to happen and soon.
I double-dog-dare you. I've never had a spice that knocked me on my ass like that. Maybe ask for a taste test first. It was literally a wasted $15. I couldn't even eat the bread at that point.

I'll go back for the Texas Hot though.
Tibbers
Went back there and damn this place was packed on a Monday afternoon no less. Looks like the word is out. It's still damn good. Got the medium spice and it was just the right amount.

Dragon fries continue to be the best fries in the city.
AggiePhil
AG
AggiePhil said:

Tried it today. Amazing!!! Even the mild seasoning had a good kick to it, so order one heat level down from what you think you want. Also, the Sweet Heat and Cookshack sauces were awesome! Only complaint is that the fries were over-seasoned.

Unfortunately I'm having to downgrade my rating. Subsequent visits have not been as good. Chicken has become very tough.
TyHolden
AG
TyHolden said:

rc_cat said:

Holy crap - they need to put a warning on that thing. At least, list the peppers used. Somebody gonna die.
Tried the Texas Hot this time. Very hot but edible with a 31-degree beer. Definitely woke up my sinuses though. It's a pretty big step above Popeyes-kinda-spice but not anywhere near the AMF spice.
iParty
AG
This! Chicken was hard to cut with a knife. Very poorly cooked.
Eliminatus
AG
iParty said:

This! Chicken was hard to cut with a knife. Very poorly cooked.

Wonder if it is just the source? Last couple of packs I got from Kroger were super tough and chewy and super not good. I probably have some of the lowest food standards here on TA and even I had to throw away my last meal I made with that chicken.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.