New HVAC cost

5,174 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BucketofBalls99
alleywhoop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone got a whole new HVAC system recently? I got one quote for the cost and I'm having a little sticker shock. What's an average price for an entire new HVAC system, install, and old disposal cost? College Station approx 1800 sq ft, 1 story. Any recommendations for companies to get a quote from?

Thanks!

Sorry I hit the post limit, so I am just editing my original posts

Update 10/27/21 - Thank you everyone, especially AgAcGuy12 for your replies. I didn't know anything about HVAC, but have become a much more informed consumer.

My current unit is a 2005 Carrier condenser unit, with a 2012 Lennox evaporator coil, dual capacitor replaced 2018, defrost control board replaced 2019, and condenser fan motor replaced 2020.

I contacted C&S this morning and they sent someone out as soon as it finished raining. Eric checked everything out and said that my refrigerant is leaking. He added 4 pounds of freon and said to save my money for now, but that it will need replacing eventually. He seemed quite appalled at the quotes I had gotten from Barker's, but would not say anything bad about them as a company. He was very professional, explained everything well. Turns out I have a heat pump and a gas furnace - why, I don't know, it came with the house like that when we bought 3 years ago. He checked out the heat and it does run off the gas furnace.

In July 2019, the AC stopped working (while I was 7 months pregnant) and the first 2 companies that I contacted said I needed a whole new install. Barker's was the 3rd company to come out and fixed it for approx $500. They also fixed the motor in 2020. And that is why I had called them yesterday. I will most likely not use them again.

Total cost of 4 lbs freon + service charge = $310.95.

Thanks again!

Quote:

December 2, 2019

Installed one new Bryant 5.0 ton 16 seer cooling and gas heating system.
Flush line set.
Install drain line safety float switches.
New supply air plenum.
Install 50 amp fuses in disconnect box at condenser. Install gas furnace LP conversion kit.

$8,740.24
thank you!

Quote:

Probably Barkers.

4 ton 16 Seer gas with non variable speed blower around $9300, two stage furnace with variable speed about $10,500 assuming nothing crazy with installation access. That my guess sight unseen.

Finding the equipment is the hard part.

I am local and I do free estimates but I'm at least a month out for a change out.
can you send me an email? alleywhoop2011@gmail.com

Reading your replies has been very helpful and I'm starting to think that the original diagnostic/repair cost that led me to getting new HVAC quotes might not be correct.

Quote:

Check with Lavco or C&S for a Rheem or Rudd system. Should be lower and good warranties
Thank you and I will do that !

Quote:

I'll also caution you to be very leery of the main companies advertising in town. I've been behind all four of them recently on customers they are telling need a new system and they actually don't.

They did tell me they could fix my problem - refrigerant leak, but it would cost approx 4k and I have a 15 year old HVAC system - hence the new install quote.
Quote:

Worst one was a single mom in college station that they told needed a whole new hvac system for $17,000 due to carbon monoxide readings taken at the register were too high. Her system was a 9 year old Bryant and I could not get a CO reading and furthermore her system was in immaculate shape. Even still had there been a monoxide leak the heat exchanger has a 20 year warranty, no new system needed. They prey on the unsuspecting.
JFC some people/businesses are just awful

Quote:

Im thinking about a move to a price book so I'd like to know your thoughts on the presentation of it. I currently spend HOURS a week bidding each and every residential changeout and over the last 5-6 years that I've been in business I've realized I'm never more than $5-600 apart based on each individual house. So I'm taking the average and building a price book to save me time. I don't pay commissions to my employees and I'm not a pressure type salesman so I'm not sure how well it's going to work. But I either need to clone myself or hire an estimator and I think a price book is the fastest option.

I think a price book is a great idea - sounds like a lot of time savings for you. The person who came today just had a sheet of paper that had the 4 systems on it, explained what each was, the differences, and answered all my questions. They gave me the info, emailed it to me, and said to contact if I had questions. I DETEST when someone does the hard sell - it is the quickest way for me to say nope!
Quote:

Basic-$9k
Deluxe-$10.5k
Premium-$12k (unavailable til 2/22)
Supreme-$16k (unavailable til 2/22)

These are ballparks of what I've charged in the last off memory. Get a few quotes, ask a few friends and go with who you're confident in. Use price as a part of the decision but don't make it the decision maker.

Thank you this is really helpful. This is much more in line with what I was thinking it would cost. While cost is a factor, it isn't the only one. Especially since it does seem that the first quote I got is on the high side.
AggiePhil
AG
Totally depends on what you get. Ballpark, I'd say $10,000.
alleywhoop
AG
The quote I got was 11k for basic, 14k for deluxe, 16.5k for premium, and 21.5k for supreme.
rodan85
BANA89
AG
alleywhoop said:

The quote I got was 11k for basic, 14k for deluxe, 16.5k for premium, and 21.5k for supreme.
Depending on the tonnage, that's not out of line.

There's also a huge shortage and delays of equipment, so wouldn't be surprised if that is reflected in the prices right now.
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
aggiepaintrain
AG
Anyone with a menu like that is looking for an uninformed customer
FJB
alleywhoop
AG
All are 4 ton
JP76
Heat pump or gas furnace ?

What brand and seer ?

New ductwork ?

Single speed or variable speed ?
turfman80
AG
Check with Lavco or C&S for a Rheem or Rudd system. Should be lower and good warranties
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
Stupe
S
alleywhoop said:

Are they adding any vents, returns, or extra plenums in the attic?

What brand?

You are leaving a lot of information out.
Stupe
S
aggiepaintrain said:

Anyone with a menu like that is looking for an uninformed customer
That's funny since you are making that statement uniformed about what he was having installed.
tfunk02
AG
December 2, 2019

Installed one new Bryant 5.0 ton 16 seer cooling and gas heating system.
Flush line set.
Install drain line safety float switches.
New supply air plenum.
Install 50 amp fuses in disconnect box at condenser. Install gas furnace LP conversion kit.

$8,740.24
91_Aggie
AG
alleywhoop said:

Let me guess.. Malek?
AgAcGuy12
AG
Probably Barkers.

4 ton 16 Seer gas with non variable speed blower around $9300, two stage furnace with variable speed about $10,500 assuming nothing crazy with installation access. That my guess sight unseen.

Finding the equipment is the hard part.

I am local and I do free estimates but I'm at least a month out for a change out.
AgAcGuy12
AG
I'll also caution you to be very leery of the main companies advertising in town. I've been behind all four of them recently on customers they are telling need a new system and they actually don't.

Worst one was a single mom in college station that they told needed a whole new hvac system for $17,000 due to carbon monoxide readings taken at the register were too high. Her system was a 9 year old Bryant and I could not get a CO reading and furthermore her system was in immaculate shape. Even still had there been a monoxide leak the heat exchanger has a 20 year warranty, no new system needed. They prey on the unsuspecting.

Im thinking about a move to a price book so I'd like to know your thoughts on the presentation of it. I currently spend HOURS a week bidding each and every residential changeout and over the last 5-6 years that I've been in business I've realized I'm never more than $5-600 apart based on each individual house. So I'm taking the average and building a price book to save me time. I don't pay commissions to my employees and I'm not a pressure type salesman so I'm not sure how well it's going to work. But I either need to clone myself or hire an estimator and I think a price book is the fastest option.
alleywhoop
AG
JP76 said:

What brand and seer ?

New ductwork ?

Heat pump, no new duct work (or at least wasn't discussed), no idea on the brand
Basic -14 seer, single speed
Deluxe - unsure of seer, single speed
Premium - 16-18 seer, 2 stage heating and cooling
Supreme - 18-21 seer, variable speed

Quote:

Are they adding any vents, returns, or extra plenums in the attic?

What brand?

You are leaving a lot of information out.

not that I know of, they didn't even go into the attic

unsure of brand, it isn't on the quote? It just says basic/deluxe/etc heat pump system

Quote:

Let me guess.. Malek?
Not Malek, but I have them coming out Friday for a diagnostic/new install estimate. Are they likely to give me the same type of expensive quote?

RJ3
AG
The equipment shortage is a real thing and prices have gone up like crazy.

A lot of the main name brands are shrinking the amount of companies they will sell directly to drastically. It's really going to hurt smaller AC companies more as they cater to their bigger clients.

AgAcGuy12
AG
alleywhoop said:

JP76 said:

What brand and seer ?

New ductwork ?

Heat pump, no new duct work (or at least wasn't discussed), no idea on the brand
Basic -14 seer, single speed
Deluxe - unsure of seer, single speed
Premium - 16-18 seer, 2 stage heating and cooling
Supreme - 18-21 seer, variable speed

Basic-$9k
Deluxe-$10.5k
Premium-$12k (unavailable til 2/22)
Supreme-$16k (unavailable til 2/22)

These are ballparks of what I've charged in the last off memory. Get a few quotes, ask a few friends and go with who you're confident in. Use price as a part of the decision but don't make it the decision maker.
aggies4life
AG
Give air concepts a call

They are fair and honest!
mr83tr88
AG
We used Aire Serv a couple of months ago to replace our 18-year-old unit. They were so helpful in helping us figure out what best fit our house. The costs was in line with those listed above. Our only regret is that we didn't do it sooner! We can tell a huge difference in the comfort and equal cooling distribution. What surprises me the most is the big decrease in our utility bills! I didn't expect to see such a significant reduction in our monthly bill!
JP76
$9,000 for a swap out with no duct work ?

Please don't tell me this is Goodman pricing too
Stupe
S
The brand wasn't in the quote?

No way that I would deal with whoever gave you that quote.
91_Aggie
AG
My advice is to do your own research on HVAC units and replacements.
You need to understand the brands and what actually they will be doing.

Otherwise, a less than scrupulous company will try to sell you everything under the sun (even on the low end side of it) and hope you don't get multiple quotes

I used Superior Air for my last replacement. my home about the same size as yours.

Was about $10,000 total (no duct work) and it was very good brand and model.
BCSWguru
10K for whole system replacement last August. No duct work.
legalbird
Garbage Rheem aluminum coils in air handler led to bad install of replacement coils led to blow out water in air handler ....be careful unless you have a bunch of plastic bowls to catch water. Also, watch out for electrical problems in air handler due to water all over components..

Call Marco and get price on Carrier.

Make sure you know how a heat pump works before you buy one.

I think $9K is about right for a new air handler and condenser.

Watch out for the "extended warranties" as they often require a yearly plan to be covered.
kaj63
Superior Air Repair installed a 4-ton Trane 17 SEER 2-stage system for us in Feb. of 2020. Cost was $9900 with a cash discount. No new ductwork.
AG81
AG
+1 for Marco. He owns Aire Cool Heating and Air. Honest, trustworthy. Have a relative in the industry who lives out of town who upon inspecting the word done said it was first rate and the price very reasonable.

Here's the number - 979-694-9645
AgFan247
AG
I just had my valve and coil replaced by Caleb & Jake @ Tru Service and have no hesitation recommending them. I don't know about whole systems, but they are local, were right on price for my work, and did good work.

979-422-0148
gigem92
AG
Another +1 for Marco. He replaced out entire system a couple years ago. Price was reasonable and he did a top-notch job.

When the city inspector came to check it out for our rebate, he was very impressed with the job and said it was one of the best he had seen.
kaj63
gigem92 said:

When the city inspector came to check it out for our rebate, he was very impressed with the job and said it was one of the best he had seen.

Inspector said the same exact thing after Superior Air Repair installed our system.
TXTEA12
I'll add my 0.02 but I've never been disappointed with Clear Creek Heat & Air. I've had them out to the house a few times to work on an undersized unit and replace an evaporating coil. Never once do they try to up sell me but are very honest and keep my family cool and my system operating smoothly for what I think is a very reasonable price. Good guys all around.
nthomas99
AG
TXTEA12 said:

I'll add my 0.02 but I've never been disappointed with Clear Creek Heat & Air. I've had them out to the house a few times to work on an undersized unit and replace an evaporating coil. Never once do they try to up sell me but are very honest and keep my family cool and my system operating smoothly for what I think is a very reasonable price. Good guys all around.
Agreed, they've done great work for us too. Though I thought they told us last time they were winding down operation. Maybe I misunderstood and it was just the tech we've used.
MTTANK
AG
Barkers ripped me off pretty good on a rent house one time, the process was like dealing with a car salesman. Then I had an elderly friend replace a perfectly good unit bc Barkers told them it needed to be done, unit was about 6 years old and functioning perfectly. They just "found" it to be bad on an annual check up. Told her to stop using Barkers, This was about 3 years ago. Guess what happened this summer to her? Malek told her she needed a new system and ductwork. Guess what, Barkers already replaced the ductwork 3 years prior when they tricked her into the first new unit. She is in her 90's, and had them do the work. Insanity.
BucketofBalls99
We just used Mosqueda Heating & Air a year ago for a whole new system. They did a great job. I'll have to dig up my paperwork…as I can't remember all of the details. I do know it is a 5-ton, 16 SEER, 2-stage compressor, and we paid $8200
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.