Johnny Carino's

4,148 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 91_Aggie
michellecan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anybody know what's going on with them? Hubs and I decided to eat there last night. Drove up only to find they were only doing take out. Well ok, that's the new norm with labor shortage. Drove off. After a bit, we decided to call in an order for pickup. Phone number was out of order.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
We still eat at Carinos frequently but I am shocked they have remained in business. They always seem so empty.
GTdad
My wife and I used to love Carino's, but it seemed like it was going slowly downhill. We ate there a few months ago and the pasta-sausage dish I had was swimming in grease. Like they didn't even drain the sauage after cooking it. Bleh. Haven't been back since.
cs69ag
AG
Just called...open and busy at the time I called....Monday 10/25 at 6:10 pm
Person who answered said there would be a wait to be seated.
dubi
AG
GTdad said:

My wife and I used to love Carino's, but it seemed like it was going slowly downhill. We ate there a few months ago and the pasta-sausage dish I had was swimming in grease. Like they didn't even drain the sauage after cooking it. Bleh. Haven't been back since.
It has been declining for many years.
Turf96
Had great food once upon a time. Economic struggles when dining patterns shifted in 2010 or so. Slowly went downhill hill after that. Management got rid of good people that had held it together and they had to shut many many stores with the new leadership. Now it is a shell of what it was. Wish I had a few of their recipes. Went there 6 months ago or so. Food was so bad we will not be back. Original owner has to be looking down now crying. He had a Vision and it is not the same vision today.
Wicked Good Ag
cs69ag said:

Just called...open and busy at the time I called....Monday 10/25 at 6:10 pm
Person who answered said there would be a wait to be seated.
Mondays is half price family platters

only day i ever go maybe every two months or so usually pick up only

It use to be once a week beczause you got soup and salad sides,,, they took those away and then size became smaller so just dont do it very much anymore
michellecan
I found some copycat recipes on Pinterest in case anybody is interested
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
michellecan said:

I found some copycat recipes on Pinterest in case anybody is interested

We use the spicy shrimp n chicken copy cat and it's every bit as good as Carinos
Carny89
Everyone is eating at Joes across the street.
Bucketrunner
We weren't all that impressed with Joe's. Not bad, just nothing special.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Bucketrunner said:

Same.

Granted its only been one time, but while it wasn't bad at all, it just didn't stand out. The main dishes we had were pretty good (not extraordinary by any means but good) , but the bread looked like it was not made in house (frozen), and the dinner salad was literally lettuce and dressing with no other life to it. Carinos has them beat in both salad and bread, and the main dishes were about equal.
Abbyag06
I will have to look! That is my favorite recipe. Do you happen to have a link?
nthomas99
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Bucketrunner said:

Same.

Granted its only been one time, but while it wasn't bad at all, it just didn't stand out. The main dishes we had were pretty good (not extraordinary by any means but good) , but the bread looked like it was not made in house (frozen), and the dinner salad was literally lettuce and dressing with no other life to it. Carinos has them beat in both salad and bread, and the main dishes were about equal.
Yeah, we ate there last night to give it a try. After hearing some decent reviews, I was surprised at how bad it was.

Salad was very meh. My Shrimp Romano "House Special" was the blandest plate of food I've had in months (no, I don't have Covid ), my daughter's fettuccini alfredo was more like alfredo soup, and my wife's beef manicotti was almost meatless. My other daughter's lasagna was pretty good. All the food came out ridiculously hot. Carino's may not be amazing, but it's better than that.
woodiewood1
We used to go there once or twice a month and loved it. The last two times we went we sat inside for about 8 to 10 minutes while multiple employees walked right by our table without even making eye contact. There was probably six to eight tables occupied. The last time I told my wife I will give them one more minute to come to us or I am gone. I went. Never been back. Too many restaurants in town now to get poor service.

If someone would have come up and said something like we are short on staff and we apologize for the wait. Can we get you drink order? I would have stayed.

The Lack of staff may be an excuse for slow service, but not an excuse for no service.

It amazing that many managers of nice restaurants have no clue on what top level customer service is.

I suspect that we will see another vacant building coming up.

JMac03
AG
I agree its been going down in quality and service for years. It needs a refresh too. They have decent happy hours but sometimes service there is such a struggle.
Love Gun
That place is the epitome of bad service in College Station. We went there for my wife's birthday four years ago. Went there in the daytime, few tables were occupied. Our waitress spent more time with her boyfriend at his table (by himself) than she did with our party of nine. Food was cold and drink orders took so long, the ice had melted in our drinks.

We haven't been back since. Not sure why they're still in business.
**** Joe Biden
michellecan
Thought I would give this an update.

Hubs and I went back yesterday. Super sweet waitress, food was on point. I ask about the previous weekend and why they were closed. It seems an elderly gentleman had gone to the restroom, had a heart attack and the poor soul didn't make it. Staff was having a hard time with it so management made the tough decision to only do take out orders.

Things aren't always as they seem.
91_Aggie
AG
I forget this place exists. Used to love it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.