Gun Classes and Ranges

2,529 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cslifer
pokerag1980
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any recommendations on local establishments that offer gun classes? I'd like to eventually get my conceal carry license but I was curious if there were also some general handgun classes available as well.
txyaloo
AG
KR Training has lots of favorable reviews over on the OB

https://krtraining.com/
BCStalk
They do classes at CCC shooting complex in Milican. I believe the company is Integrity.
AFM
https://integrityftc.com They offer different classes regularly. You can check out the calendar on their website.
ringrit
https://savageoutdoordefense.com/ -- this place is out on Tabor Rd. Does classes and has a range.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Integrity FTC is solid and Aggie owned. Their courses are taught at CCC in Millican. I've taken their defensive carbine and home defense courses. They offer a pretty wide range of classes. In addition to the owner that is very knowledgeable, there is usually another instructor present that is prior military (some special operations guys, too). Look up their Facebook. They have something almost every single weekend.

Once you get comfortable, check out Brazosland Pistoleros. Shooting a steel or USPSA match is the fastest way to get good once you reach a basic proficiency.
AggieBarstool
I was very happy with my experience @ Champion Firearms (if they're still doing classes).
histag10
AG
Might check with Circle Star Firearms in Anderson. I believe they may do classes. And they are an awesome little gun store.
cj774
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

Integrity FTC is solid and Aggie owned. Their courses are taught at CCC in Millican. I've taken their defensive carbine and home defense courses. They offer a pretty wide range of classes. In addition to the owner that is very knowledgeable, there is usually another instructor present that is prior military (some special operations guys, too). Look up their Facebook. They have something almost every single weekend.

Once you get comfortable, check out Brazosland Pistoleros. Shooting a steel or USPSA match is the fastest way to get good once you reach a basic proficiency.

I also recommend Integrity. Not that long ago, my parents bought a handgun, so my wife and I purchased handgun classes for them (based off online reviews and word of mouth) as a Christmas gift. My parents were very impressed by Integrity and learned a ton in their classes.
redball
txyaloo said:

I second the KR Training recommendation. Karl and his cadre are exceptional instructors and cater to a wide variety of skill levels. Their range is a little ways out near Lincoln, but it's well worth the drive.
dubi
AG
redball said:

txyaloo said:

I second the KR Training recommendation. Karl and his cadre are exceptional instructors and cater to a wide variety of skill levels. Their range is a little ways out near Lincoln, but it's well worth the drive.

3rd recommendation.
O.G.
I've taken this class, sent another person through it, and am sending my daughter through it, coming up on the 13/14 of November in Bastrop.

I have also taken the Rifle version and am taking Immediate Action Medical from this company on the same weekend.

It involves about 4+hours of classroom time, involving the legalities of using deadly force, what to do IF you do have to use deadly force etc. Anyone from a Day1 novice to a top tier expert can benefit from this class. I know people that have taken it multiple times.

Instructors are very cool and you will not be "mansplained" on anything.

This is not a "shooting" or "marksmanship" class. This is a fighting class. Meaning, learning what to do in a gunfight/real world situation. Something you're not going to learn shooting paper at an indoor range.
I know it sounds contrary to popular believe but "shooting" is not training.

Shooting distances are approximately 3yds & 7yds, so you don't have to be an "expert" shot. No one fails because of shooting.

Round count for the class states 1000rds, its actually closer to 700, but 1000rd cases are easier to get ahold of for buying bulk.

https://www.tacticalresponse.com/collections/training/products/fighting-pistol?variant=32267293556825
txyaloo
AG
James Yeager/tactical response is pretty polarizing in the gun training industry. His classes are a little too "gucci" for me. Not a fan of him personally either
O.G.
txyaloo said:

James Yeager/tactical response is pretty polarizing in the gun training industry. His classes are a little too "gucci" for me. Not a fan of him personally either
I've never heard a negative word spoken about him by anyone that has ever trained with him, or any other professional instructor.

Keyboard commandos and part timers, yes. Professionals, no.

The classes aren't "gucci". They are an investment in a skill that may save your life.

I used to instruct firearms for the State of Texas, and this is who I send my loved ones to.
txyaloo
AG
O.G. said:

txyaloo said:

I've never heard a negative word spoken about him by anyone that has ever trained with him, or any other professional instructor.

The classes aren't "gucci". They are an investment in a skill that may save your life.

I used to instruct firearms for the State of Texas, and this is who I send my loved ones to.
I would suggest you look deeper then. Plenty of professional instructors have commented negatively on his training.

Him training "tactics" and "self defense" doesn't sit well with me considering when the shots rang out in Iraq, he jumped in a ditch and hid, getting his team killed. He's had multiple NDs in classes. He puts camera operators down range during live fire. He frequently encourages people to break the law with respect to carrying and he flat out doesn't frequently know what the law actually is.

I'm glad you feel confident sending your family to one of his courses. I wouldn't be comfortable sending mine and am providing a counter point for people to do some research on him before spending money, ammo, and time on his training.

If I'm going to a national well know trainer, it's going to be someone other than Yeager.
dubi
histag10
O.G.
txyaloo said:

O.G. said:

txyaloo said:

I would suggest you look deeper then. Plenty of professional instructors have commented negatively on his training.

Him training "tactics" and "self defense" doesn't sit well with me considering when the shots rang out in Iraq, he jumped in a ditch and hid, getting his team killed. He's had multiple NDs in classes. He puts camera operators down range during live fire. He frequently encourages people to break the law with respect to carrying and he flat out doesn't frequently know what the law actually is.

I'm glad you feel confident sending your family to one of his courses. I wouldn't be comfortable sending mine and am providing a counter point for people to do some research on him before spending money, ammo, and time on his training.

If I'm going to a national well know trainer, it's going to be someone other than Yeager.
There's the Irag thing......You are using bad/misinformation. I'm not trying to argue with you here, but you've watched a lot of Youtube.

I train (and formerly trained others) in a lot of self defense and his is the most real world/realistic that I've seen. You are going to be fighting for your life, not hoping that your gear looks cool, and the root word of Yeager's class, Fighting Pistol, is Fight, not pistol.

I've trained with numerous "trainers" including some that were also martial arts instructors/former Spec Ops guys and IPSC Speed shooters, that crossed over into firearms training. None of them were as thorough on the beginning to end consequences of using a firearm, proper carry etc. Some were really good at some parts of it, but were stuck on 30yr old FBI or Israeli techniques or "facts" that weren't.

With people like Clint Smith (Thunder Ranch), Taran Tactical (California company that trains the John Wick actors/I've fired one of their customized Glock 34s) and John Lovell (Warrior Poet Society) as his references/cross training partners, and people that he himself trains with, I'm going with Yeager.

The instructors that I know for a fact had an issue with Yeager? Tennessee Concealed Carry Instructors that opposed Constitutional Carry in that state. They lobbied not to have Constitutional Carry because they would lose money ("I support the Second Amendment, But.....") Yeager lobbied for it, they opposed him.

Other than that, and I've been around the NRA conventions etc etc., I've never met or known of a seriously legit instructor that has taught over 75,000 students, over a 25yr period, that talks trash about Yeager that isn't quoting a youtube video, or a jealous part time instructor that also has a day job.

NO ONE that has actually taken his training is anywhere talking trash about it. I really do not mean any disrespect to you, but your information is dated and from bad sources. I've actually trained with him.
txyaloo
AG
And this is why I said he was polarizing in the training industry, and I know he has rabid fans. People just need the full information. Some accurate information may be dated, but it is no less accurate.
histag10
AG
Quote:

I really do not mean any disrespect to you

This is how you know someone is about to be disrespectful.

I don't know anything about him. But I can say with100% certainty that training with someone does not make one a full blown expert on a person. In most cases, it provides some nice rose colored glasses, as people don't like to admit they may have spent money on a bad deal. Not saying that is the case here, but it happens quite often I general.

O.G. I don't know much about you. But you seem to speak highly of yourself. Are you/were you a. CHL/LTC instructor in any state? Are you/were you military? I'm very confused on what your qualifications are, and it just seems like a lot of "name dropping".
histag10
AG
Yikes! Starting to look I to this guy. Did he ever get his license to carry back after it was suspended for making those death threats online?
dubi
AG
histag10 said:

Yikes! Starting to look I to this guy. Did he ever get his license to carry back after it was suspended for making those death threats online?
Link?
txyaloo
AG
dubi said:

histag10 said:

Link?
https://www.wsmv.com/news/state-suspends-gun-carry-permit-for-tn-man-who-made-viral-video/article_6ab99b61-6cbe-5b8b-a657-c503c141f379.html

No clue if he ever got his LTC back.
dubi
AG
O.G. said:

txyaloo said:

So what are Yeager's qualifications?

It does not show anything on his website.

txyaloo
AG
I'm not a fan of SPLC, but this is a pretty accurate breakdown of his law enforcement/contracting experience

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2013/01/11/dhs-reportedly-investigating-tennessee-weapons-instructor

cslifer
So just to be clear…this guy
1. Lied about being a certified instructor
2. Has been fired from both law enforcement jobs he has held
3. Been banned from at least one range for unsafe behavior
4. Had LTC revoked
5. Has a super cringe website (those nicknames)
….and people still pay him???
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.