Milkweed around town?

1,615 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by maddiedou
ag009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our kids planted some milkweed this year and have enjoyed watching the monarch lay eggs and have several caterpillars in a butterfly cage. Since they have eaten through all of our small plants, we are on the hunt for some more! Does anyone know of any public parks or areas of town with lots of milkweed we could go harvest some leaves and/or find more eggs/caterpillars? Thanks!
jrhmc
AG
katlong said:

Our kids planted some milkweed this year and have enjoyed watching the monarch lay eggs and have several caterpillars in a butterfly cage. Since they have eaten through all of our small plants, we are on the hunt for some more! Does anyone know of any public parks or areas of town with lots of milkweed we could go harvest some leaves and/or find more eggs/caterpillars? Thanks!
There is milkweed planted at Lick Creek, at Central Park (I don't remember the new name), and at Veteran's for sure. I think it's planted at most of the bigger College Station parks and there's a butterfly garden somewhere around the sorority houses, too.
FlyRod
Farm Patch sells the plants.
mr83tr88
AG
Email me at raulersfam at gmail dot com.

If you can come over Friday or Saturday, your kids could dig up some of my milkweed to replant. I'm happy to help young explorers enjoy science!!
war hymn aggie
AG
I've also got a lot of extra wilkweed plants in all sizes that I'd gladly donate if you wanna come over and dig 'em up this Saturday or next.
Provide contact info if interested.
Tailgate88
AG
It spreads really well - you'll have more next year. And when it goes to seed, collect them and plant them throughout your landscape this fall. They will come up next year.
ag009
AG
Wow, y'all are so generous! Sorry for the delay in response. We are out of town the next few weekends, but luckily enough, all the caterpillars are now at the chrysalis stage before we ran out of leaves, so no more leaves needed!

I'm going to keep this bookmarked and reach out next spring when we do more!
jrhmc
AG
katlong said:

Wow, y'all are so generous! Sorry for the delay in response. We are out of town the next few weekends, but luckily enough, all the caterpillars are now at the chrysalis stage before we ran out of leaves, so no more leaves needed!

Just so you know, we get monarch caterpillars until December around here. You might find yourself needing more before next spring.
maddiedou
AG
katlong said:

Also just so you know your milkweeds will get pods the next couple of weeks and you will have more milkweeds that you know what to do with

I have 75 feet 3 feet wide. And milkweed plants all in my garden that I pull up every year

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.