University Drive old grocery store

2,844 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 555-PINF
EBrazosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know this location has been a discussion in past - wasn't it a Kroger ? Don't know if it's been listed in the past.
https://oldhamgoodwin.com/properties/601-607-university-drive/
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cavscout96
AG
Randall's
clinte234
AG
It was an Albertsons in the early 2000s
Nagler
AG
Albertson's until about 2010 or so.

I loved shopping there, it was always empty, and there in lied the problem.
Smeghead4761
It was an Albertsons when I moved here in 2011. Sometime between 2011-2013, HEB bought it and shut it down.
denied
HEB didn't shut it down; Albertson's underwent a massive contraction in this area. HEB took over the lease after Albertson's moved out.
ElephantRider
AG
Why did HEB lease it? Were they planning to set up shop there at one point?
Captn_Ag05
AG
To keep another store from moving in there. They have property all across Texas that they have no intent to develop, but lease to keep competition from moving in.
trouble
AG
It was Randall's when I moved here in 1993
textar4404
I just remember that when Albertson's took over the building always smelled like fish. It was convenient, but not very pleasant.
EMY92
AG
It was Randall's when it was built.
PS3D
denied said:

HEB didn't shut it down; Albertson's underwent a massive contraction in this area. HEB took over the lease after Albertson's moved out.

Yes and no. HEB wanted to buy only the Kerrville store but Albertsons sold them two others in 2011 as they were the only three left south of Dallas (in Texas) after massive contractions in the early 2000s. HEB didn't want them so they shut the other two down. The other store in New Braunfels was renovated into a new city hall and police station.
war hymn aggie
AG
Cavscout96 is correct.
Started out as a Randall's before Albertson's took it over.
Didn't they take some flak for not selling beer when they first opened?
PS3D
war hymn aggie said:

Cavscout96 is correct.
Started out as a Randall's before Albertson's took it over.
Didn't they take some flak for not selling beer when they first opened?

Randall's had a policy of not selling beer or wine. This was changed around 1994 when they bought the AppleTree stores in Austin, which did. In fall 1997 they sold three stores, including this one, to Albertsons.
Kbeauty63
AG
textar4404 said:

I just remember that when Albertson's took over the building always smelled like fish. It was convenient, but not very pleasant.

Having worked for Randall's for 15 years (transferring up when I came to College Station) that was the first smell that hit me when I walked in (banked at First Interstate located in the store) after Albertsons took over the space
ratfacemcdougal
funny you should bring this up. from the coming and going thread....

The old Albertsons on University is up for sale. The listing indicates HEB has 1.5 years left on the lease. But, promising that something may finally happen with this prime spot on University.

https://oldhamgoodwin.com/properties/601-607-university-drive/
milner79
Are you certain it was a Randall's when built? In the late 70s, I bought Lucerne products there, which I thought was exclusively a Safeway brand.
Tailgate88
AG
milner79 said:

Are you certain it was a Randall's when built? In the late 70s, I bought Lucerne products there, which I thought was exclusively a Safeway brand.

Are you possibly thinking about the Safeway turned Appletree (now Specs) at Harvey & Texas?
milner79
Tailgate88 said:

milner79 said:

Are you possibly thinking about the Safeway turned Appletree (now Specs) at Harvey & Texas?

No, this was there on University. I remember because I bought Lucerne ice cream instead of Blue Bell to take to Monday Night Football. 40 years later I'm still catching hell from my buddies for that frozen faux pas ...
555-PINF
milner79 said:

Tailgate88 said:

milner79 said:

No, this was there on University. I remember because I bought Lucerne ice cream instead of Blue Bell to take to Monday Night Football. 40 years later I'm still catching hell from my buddies for that frozen faux pas ...

I just looked at historicaerials and that building didn't exist in 1981. It was just woods.

It was built as a Randall's in the early 1990s. We switched from shopping at Skagg's by campus to that Randall's after it opened.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.