Good upscale restaurants in BCS

7,007 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Tibbers
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
deh40 said:

Christopher's or Porters. Republic is overrated except for the bar.

Gotta agree with this. I just don't get the fascination with the Republic. I eat there 1-2 times a year hoping I'll get that experience others seem to have and I'm always left super underwhelmed and very much lighter in the wallet. I don't mind at all paying for good steak but I'm not sure the Republic would make it in a city other than College Station/Bryan.
4xAgs
AG
halibut sinclair said:

What didn't you like about Gate 12? We haven't been yet, but it has an excellent rating on Yelp, Facebook, Open Table and Google.
They got overrun on ring day and weren't good at handling the volume. Have eaten there several other times (under normal circumstances) and enjoyed it.
bobinator
AG
So is 1860 Italia good or is it an extra loud olive garden?
Momosmom
Food was sub par. Very overrated for the price. Service was lacking. Not worth a second try in my opinion.
Momosmom
We were there late in the evening. Not much of a crowd at that time. Appetizers were cold. My husband's steak was not ordered when the rest of the table's food was. The manager came out and apologized and told him them were pulling his steak from another order that had come in after ours. Not information we needed to know. Was not impressed with the food.
75AG
AG
halibut sinclair said:

What didn't you like about Gate 12? We haven't been yet, but it has an excellent rating on Yelp, Facebook, Open Table and Google.
My only compaint was the noise. I mean it was so loud you really couldn't have a conversation. I know restaurants in a college town are always noisy, and we expect that, but this was way beyond. Of course, the room facing the airport has a glass wall, low ceiling, and concrete floors.
histag10
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Sent back a flight of whiskey because they didn't wash the glasses (had lipstick on them). Sent food back because a rare steak was way well done. New steak came out 45 minutes later (after everyone had finished) still not rare, but had a hair on it this time. Sent it back again. Packed up, paid, and left. And still spent WAY too much for the food we did get that we didn't send back.

Forgot to add- we did get dessert. But they changed piping bags in the middle, and forgot to put sugar in their whipped cream in the new bag. It was like curdled milk...

I wish them all the best, but it seems more like a gimmick with watching planes take off/land than it is a nice restaurant.

Edit to add- this was not a busy weekend. This was over the summer when there was hardly any crowd
WAF78
AG
Update. Christopher's was the choice and it was delicious and great service. Four of us all had different entrees and everyone was very satisfied their meals. Ate and drank too much but will get over it.
FlyRod
Another thread that makes me miss the original Veritas. And the original Maddens.

Ronin remains my favorite place in town but I agree it's not "upscale" in the traditional sense. I do think they have the best wine list in town, unequaled in fact, and their cocktail game has impressed me a lot.

Its been ages since I've been to Christopher's (got a little bored with the giant hunk of protein and vegetable medley for show repertoire), but now I think I need to try them again.
Bucketrunner
I really miss Madden's
lost my dog
FlyRod said:

Another thread that makes me miss the original Veritas. And the original Maddens.

Ronin remains my favorite place in town but I agree it's not "upscale" in the traditional sense. I do think they have the best wine list in town, unequaled in fact, and their cocktail game has impressed me a lot.

Its been ages since I've been to Christopher's (got a little bored with the giant hunk of protein and vegetable medley for show repertoire), but now I think I need to try them again.
I went to Christopher's for the first time in a long while recently. I had tired of them for the same reasons you state. But I was pleased now with the execution on the food. And it was the best wait-staff service we have had at a restaurant in town in a while.

I agree with you also on mourning the loss of the original Veritas and Maddens (when Peter Maddens was there nightly and staff who have long since departed BCS were there.)
Esteban du Plantier
AG
halibut sinclair said:

We ate there earlier in the year for my wife's birthday. I ordered a steak that they forgot, then forgot again, then manager apologized and promised it was coming, then I finally said cancel it or bring it in a box with the check.

Over two hour lunch ended up late for a meeting, ate the steak for leftovers that night.

Lots of great options around here to not worry about trying this one again.
4lilmonkeys
Esteban du Plantier said:

halibut sinclair said:

We ate there earlier in the year for my wife's birthday. I ordered a steak that they forgot, then forgot again, then manager apologized and promised it was coming, then I finally said cancel it or bring it in a box with the check.

Over two hour lunch ended up late for a meeting, ate the steak for leftovers that night.

Lots of great options around here to not worry about trying this one again.
Our experience Friday night was about the same. I made reservations and indicated it was a special occasion. We ended up in the back room overlooking the runway, it was loud and the service was about the same as the food - not great (pasta and sandwiches). If I'm going to pay $175 for dinner, I would rather not feel it like I'm eating in a high school cafeteria. We probably won't ever go back.
ShinerBlonde
AG
Ate at Primrose Path for the first time last night. Had fantastic service and really enjoyed the atmosphere. The food was all delicious as well as our cocktails. Since it is tapas style, between 2 people we ordered 4 items to start and then 3 more on the second round and a dessert at the end. We also had a cocktail each and a glass of wine each. Our total bill (before tip) was less than $150. It actually felt like a date night and we could hear each other talk. I've been to all the places on mentioned above and some of them I won't go back to for various reasons mentioned by other posters but Primrose Path is definitely one I'll go back to for a special occasion.
trouble
AG
Isn't it a lovely experience? It's my go to for my birthday the last several years.
techno-ag
AG
jac4 said:

Is Dos Brisas open? Not far from BCS.
Closed as per the other thread.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
75AG
AG
Wife and I went on Monday. Wonderful time. Great service, food, drinks, wine. We're very lucky to have that place.
Tailgate88
AG
bobinator said:

So is 1860 Italia good or is it an extra loud olive garden?

It's good but the first thing I think of is how loud it is. Food is very good and definitely much better than a chain but it's really loud in there. Also, it's loud.
gigemags87
AG
I guess it's just numbers and some will have bad experiences. I've eaten at the Republic at least 50 times and have had maybe 2 meals I didn't think were outstanding. All I can say is give them another chance because the numbers will start working in your favor!

Eat the strip or ribeye and Brussels sprouts. Wine list is best in the city and bar and bartenders for sure are the benchmark others strive for around here.
FlyRod
I love a good steak, but honestly, I've thought The Republic's seafood entrees are very good. I appreciate that they are least trying to source Gulf seafood like kingfish (don't care about the mercury content honestly).
Tibbers
Campfire at the Stella Hotel
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.