Best wings in Aggieland

11,301 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MiMi
cajunken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been silently following this thread because I'm not a wing purist, but I have never found the attraction to Wings N More (other than the Big Willy - I can get on board to beating the ice drop). I don't get the attraction to a chicken wing fried so long that it is more like chicken jerky. Frankly, I make better wings on my green egg than anyplace in town.
TommyBrady
AG
So-Fly Wings are good as hell
rodan85
AG
I am from Austin and miss Pluckers
bobinator
AG
I've been lurking and hoping someone would chime in with some thoughts on those. I've almost pulled the trigger a few times when I'm there to get the sandwich.
unmade bed
Not sure they are the best but I was really pleasantly surprised by the wings at Boomtown BBQ (they have a special on Tuesday for $1/wing)
birdman
The best wings are at the BCS Market, near Tractor Supply. I get the spicy ones.
Tailgate88
AG
Do you mean that oriental grocery store?
Jon Ponder 08
AG
I love wings, get them far too often.

Agree with the sentiment that while I still get them every other month or so, WnM are good/consistent, but certainly not great and boy are they TINY!

My favorite at the moment is actually a little food trailer on Longmire and 2818 called Waldon Wings. They do a great job and for the ranch crowd, they make their own and it's quite good. Call ahead as they make everything to order.

I've not had angry elephant though so I can't speak to that, but have had the rest on here to say, eh it's all ok.

Agree with missing Pluckers, though more recent tries have been so-so, but this was in DFW.

Remnant gets an honorable mention.
Jon Ponder 08
AG
Man, the first few times I had so-fly's wings I was blown away. Loved then! The last few times (last was in March) they had started to be a little soggy on the outside. I like a good crisp wing. Maybe that's gotten better, I'll have to go check them out again.
Love that chicken sandwich though…….
bobinator
AG
The Shun De Mom Express inside the BCS Asian Market? That would be a wild competitor out of left field for best wings in the B/CS. Though everything I've had there is good so not sure why wings would be any different.
birdman
bobinator said:

The Shun De Mom Express inside the BCS Asian Market? That would be a wild competitor out of left field for best wings in the B/CS. Though everything I've had there is good so not sure why wings would be any different.
Yep, that's the spot.

Try 'em, they're awesome.
bobinator
AG
Like, it's just "spicy wings"? Their menu is... a lot... it never would have occurred to me to get wings.
Independence H-D
DimeBox17 said:

I probably eat more wings than the average person so I've had wings here in town at multiple places.

Angry Elephant's triple fried wings are cooked perfectly but they could be so much better if they had better sauces and ranch.

Wings N More is very inconsistent with size and quality but their sauces, blue cheese and ranch are better than anyone else's. Get them on a good day and they are the best in town.

BWW has been pretty good the couple of times I've been.

Wing Stop is good and the wings are huge but the sauces aren't great.

Hooter's, hit or miss on freshness but sauces are good.

Twin Peaks, sauces I ordered were awful but size and cook were good.

In all honesty, it's not hard to fry a wing so I hate when I get some that aren't made fresh. To me, the sauces and ranch or blue cheese set them apart. Pluckers does it all really well but I'd take Wings N More here in town.

Side note: I hear Waldon Wings food truck by the CS Walmart is really good but haven't been.

Waldon wings are fantastic.
Vinewood_03
joshuar2010 said:

Smitty K's easily.

Really? Last time I went it tasted like someone took a dump in the grease.
halibut sinclair
I am a fan of HOT wings - so I mainly go to Wing Stop (Atomic), BWW (Blazin') or Hooter's (3 Mile Island or Spicy Garlic). Any other places locally that have really hot and spicy wings?
bobinator
AG
I also love 'em hot, I love the Mango Habanero sauce at BWW going in but that sauce does some damage.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
been hearing great things about Waldon Wings. need to try em
Justified
If you're ever in hearne try the pony express. I love their garlic Parmesan.
quirkyaggie
AG
I'm not a fan of wings but you just made me crave them.
Dumbfounded
Angry Elephant tripled fried are fantastic.
Psychag
AG
I like Smitty Ks grilled wings. Carney's are good (and huge). Like others have said, Carney's fries are awesome. I like Plucker's the most. I go to the one off 290 in Cypress...only 45 minute drive.
Carny89
Wing stop is good too me. HDE is good if you like a crispy wing.
halibut sinclair
Had Wing Stop tonight. Extra well done Atomic and Cajun. Mrs. Halibut had Spicy Korean Q. Wings were huge and excellent
EliteElectric
quirkyaggie said:

I'm not a fan of wings but you just made me crave them.

I marinade them in Korean Bulgogi marinade then smoke them, then bathe in bulgogi again and onto a hot grill to crisp up and set the glaze. I have been told many times best wings ever by guests.
new straw
I haven't seen them in awhile, but Taz used to have the ABSOLUTE BEST wings. They had them on the buffet. So good!
bushytailed
AG
bushytailed said:

Carneys hands down

Someone mentioned Remnant. I'd like to amend my previous comment to say that I'd put Remnant right up there with Carneys.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Angry Elephant good, Zoners is even better. They are now my #1 after lunch there today. As an added bonus the garlic bread they give with it isn't just a filler....it's actually good.

These establishments are making me lol at WnM.

KidDoc
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Angry Elephant good, Zoners is even better. They are now my #1 after lunch there today. As an added bonus the garlic bread they give with it isn't just a filler....it's actually good.

These establishments are making me lol at WnM.

I tried zoners a long while back, heck probably 2 years?

At that time the wings were not crispy enough for me. What did you think more recently? Did they have a bit of crunch or more like BBQ chicken skin?

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I think they are under new management from 2 years ago but not sure.

No, the wings were not crunchy at all. They are soft. (I prefer a little crunch too) But the taste was really good.

They are smoked not fried so maybe a tad bit healthier. Even if you peel off the fat there is plenty of meat under there to eat. I was full on a 10 piece and the garlic bread.
txtomster
I second that .. Zoners have great wings !
new straw
Dude, zoners is an absolute miss for me. Chewy wings isn't my thing.
KidDoc
AG
new straw said:

Dude, zoners is an absolute miss for me. Chewy wings isn't my thing.
That was my take as well a while back. Different strokes and all that.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
I went to Angry Elephant today for lunch and had the triple fried with Haberno and Buffalo sauces and blue cheese and was very impressed. Very comparable to Plucker's in size and taste and price isn't bad ($10 for 10 no fries/sides).

I'll be back for sure! Close to my house too which is a bonus.
Aggie
AG
Will say this about Wings N More

Their university location is so much better then the SWV location. It may just be because it has a better atmosphere that makes the food seem better .

IMO it time for them to remodel the SWV locations.. the building has been unchanged for 25-30 years or however long it's been since they moved into that spot.

Very outdated and boring, no bar area. No outside patio seating .. really Suprised they have left it as is for so long

Way overdue for an upgrade.
When we do Goto WNM we don't go SWV location
Bullpen Chias
AG
At this point, it's like saying The Chicken should do a reno. WnM keeping it real.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.