Car Troubles

1,405 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by EMY92
Alpine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sons car wont start and I am 99.9% sure its the starter. Everything comes on (lights, radio,etc) but there is not even a click when he tries to start it. Where would be the best place to take it tomorrow to get it fixed? Also who can tow it?

Its a Jeep Wrangler
cavscout96
AG
have you tried jump starting it?

Just because the lights, etc. work does not mean there is enough current to engage the starter.

i
denied
Turn off lights, radio, A/C all of that stuff and then try to start/jump it. It may not be the starter but the alternator/battery.

I always suggest CarDoc on Harvey just before Texas. You will pay for the diagnostic, but they do good work.
oklaunion
My 5 year old battery showed 12.6 volts on my voltmeter and ran all accessories but only a pop when ignition was engaged. Took battery to local station and it had next to zero amps. New battery solved it. Just fyi before you get too far into it.
maddiedou
AG
Depending on where he is tell him to text me if on the way to my apartments or close to another job i may can jump it for him just to see and give him some advice But I am not mechanically inclined but I can help with this

979-eight two -l87o. Gary

I leave about 830
Rexter
Try the old trick of whacking the starter while someone holds the key in the start position…assuming it doesn't start with a jump. Mine yota did this last week. Same symptoms and wouldn't jump. A coupe of hits on the solenoid and it started.
Stupe
S
Pilgers is open until 1:00
Firestone is open on Saturday.
As funny as it sounds, Jiffy Lube may do starters and they are open Saturday and Sunday.
BCStalk
What year Jeep. Getting it in today would be tough.
AgTrip
Brazos valley automotive. They are great and super nice!
Alpine
AG
Ended up being the wire to the starter touched the exhaust somehow and melted/frayed. Then the relay shorted out when the wire touched metal. Easy to fix just PIA. Thanks for the offers of assistance.
EMY92
AG
Try a battery first. It's not like the old days when a weak battery would slowly try to turn the engine. Now, nothing happens. Starts fine each time until it doesn't.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.