Best Local (non chain) Burgers

13,641 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by theNetSmith
FamousAgg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here is my list in order of preference.

Top of the Hill
Joe's Place
Edge General Store
Margies
Dixie Chicken
Chicken Oil Co
Broncos
Smitty Ks
Margies
The Chicken
Chicken Oil
Harvey Washbangers
The Corner
Carneys
Koppe Bridge
halibut sinclair
Ok, I'll play:

Top of the Hill
Margie's
Chicken Oil
Mr. Hamburger
Yankee's
Joe's Place
Koppe Bridge
bobinator
AG
Burger Mojo
Proudest Monkey

Only two I'd add that haven't already been mentioned.
FamousAgg
Damnit. I forgot proudest monkey. Love their Chorizo Burger. I think that will have to go #2 on my list. But really the fries there are also spectacular, sweet potato, yuppie style.

Never tried burger Mojo
Donny Hall
I will just add:
J Codys

TexAgs got some burger lovers.
bobinator
AG
I think burger joints and hole in the wall mexican places are the two things the Brazosplex does best. Lots of great options.
Bob2525
Charliemac's Burger Kitchen
Koppe Bridge
Broncos
bobinator said:

Burger Mojo
Proudest Monkey

Only two I'd add that haven't already been mentioned.
I forget about those as well. Both are very good!
texasaggie2015
AG
My personal opinion:

• Top of the Hill

(large gap)

• Joe's Place
  • Margies
  • Edge General Store

The last three could go in any order and I wouldn't argue. Can't go wrong with any of the above four but Top of the Hill is by far my favorite. Margie's is in downtown Bryan and probably the easiest to get to.

I'll also add that anyone who says Koppe Bridge just hasn't had any of the above four IMO. Koppe Bridge is solid but nowhere close to these.
Eliminatus
AG
Harvey washbangers, Koppe bridge, And burger mojo are my tops. Burger mojo wins easily by virtue of being one of the few actual 24hr eateries in the area. A must for me.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Donny Hall said:

I will just add:
J Codys

TexAgs got some burger lovers.

I hope their burger is good because their brisket and BBQ have really dropped off in recent years.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
For those that have not tried MOJO it is really really good at an affordable price (fast food prices). The beef actually has beef taste to it (organic, grass fed).

On any Burger MOJO: Get the onion rings tossed onto the burger. Fries really good too. Thank me later.

Harvey Washbangers is of course the ol reliable stalwart

I find Koppe overrated. It's good,but not in my "best" discussion.

Top of the Hill is worth the drive out.
Broncos
Burger House deserves a shoutout. Simple burger, add your own toppings, great buns!
halibut sinclair
Washbangers, Mojo, Grub, Hopdoddy, etc are fine in their own right, but when I go out for a burger, I want a BURGER - meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, mustard. Maybe some jalapenos. No fancy toppings or gourmet sauce or sweet bun or any of that crap.
bobinator
AG
Koppe Bridge for me is more of a "great place to get a burger" than it is a truly great burger. Their standard burger is fine, but not really anything to write home about. But you get that bad boy with bacon, grilled onions, jalapenos and pepperjack cheese and you're onto something.
Wicked Good Ag
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

For those that have not tried MOJO it is really really good at an affordable price (fast food prices). The beef actually has beef taste to it (organic, grass fed).

On any Burger MOJO: Get the onion rings tossed onto the burger. Fries really good too. Thank me later.

Harvey Washbangers is of course the ol reliable stalwart

I find Koppe overrated. It's good,but not in my "best" discussion.

Top of the Hill is worth the drive out.
I have no issue with Burger Mojo and have been a few times but to say fast food price level is absurd

My list

Top of The Hill
Margie's
Joe's
Mallett Bros
Edge General Store
FamousAgg
Tell me about mallet brothers.
Hornbeck
Had Smitty K's for lunch. It was great. A little pricey, but great
halibut sinclair
Had Mallett Bros. burgers at a work function a couple times. REALLY good, but in Navasota.
Rex Racer
AG
Best in Bryan: Burger House
Best in College Station: Harvey Washbanger's
Best in Brazos County: Top of the Hill
texasaggie2015
AG
Harvey Washbangers is decent, but I never really got the hype around it. Definitely not bad but I was never excited to go back.
bobinator
AG
Yeah it's fine. I think some of the hype comes from them having all kinds of different burgers before there were multiple places in town that did that.
aggiegal99
I'm a big fan of CharlieMacs. I had an awesome burger at Smitty Ks last week. I love the Wide Glide at Yankees Tavern.

Now I want a burger.
Bad Poster
My order:

Feed Barn
Top of the Hill
Chicken Oil
tinybutmighty
I would add Shipwreck Grill to my favorite bugers.
Eliminatus
AG
Broncos said:

Burger House deserves a shoutout. Simple burger, add your own toppings, great buns!

I am devastated that I had not heard of this place till now. Will quickly rectify this shortcoming of never having tried it.

Also, as absurd as it sounds among all the choices here, I have also had great experiences with Denny's burgers. Monster creations that are quite good. Good enough that I actually prefer them over a couple of other places here that actually specialize in burgers.
phatpat21
Bottomline - we got some dam good burgers in this area
there were skittles in there!
doubledog
KorbinDallas said:

Here is my list in order of preference.

Top of the Hill
Joe's Place
Edge General Store
Margies
Dixie Chicken
Chicken Oil Co

Remove Top of the Hill and we are good to go (TOTH burgers did not agree with me)
chickiepoo
AG
Another vote for Burger House.
DimeBox17
AG
When Chicks was still in business, that was the best burger in town and it wasn't close.
Costa and Andreas
Noted. So, at Mojo we've made it a priority to be in the realm of the Whataburger price point vs the Hop Doddy price point. Just sayin…..

We sincerely appreciate all of the acknowledgment and love here. We're a new name, but certainly humbled to be in the conversation!
FlyRod
Strange to omit chains (and I confess in full disclosure I was an egregious anti-chain person once).

Because World of Beer's Chimay burger is a work of art.
cajunken
Edge General Store
Corner Bar
Carney's
Top of the Hill
Third on Main

Chain - TX Burger
JarAG2007
AG
If you haven't tried TX Burger in Wellborn your missing out, I know its a chain, but its different.

They have specialty burgers, i like the firecracker burger and my wife lakes the jap cream cheese burger. You can get fresh sourdough or jap buns. Can add egg, bacon, etc. to these burgers. They have unique sides like loaded tater tots or classic TX Burger fries. There is still the Blue Bell ice cream for the kids.

What sets it apart is it has beer on tap or long necks! That's right, this TX Burger has beer! Its really good for us folks in south CS.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.