Tree doctor needed

1,442 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by scd88
scd88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had 3 trees planted this past spring:

Chinese Pistache - doing poorly, it has been replanted as it was too deep and retaining water

Shumard Oak - doing OK, has some browning leaves at the bottom.

Lacebark Elm- doin g OK, some yellow leaves every once in a while.

I called the Top Point Tree out 2 months ago and he said the oak and elm were fine but the pistache needed to be replanted. I did that. He also offered a fertilization plan to do later and now he doesn't return calls or emails.

So I'm looking for someone to help me take care of these trees. I water them 2 times a week for about 8 minutes each. Slow stream of water.

Any recommendations on who to use? Our soils are not great for new stuff like this.
EBrazosAg
AG
Producers COOP used to have a flyer on Sick Tree Regimen. It worked really well. They may still have it there. Chinese Pistachio can get trunk sun scald easily. Neil Sperry recommends paper wrap for several years.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
scd88
AG
Thanks!
woodiewood1
Most all young trees that are in the sun most of the day should have their bark wrapped for a couple of years...I use tin foil up to the first few limbs. If the tree is small, you might want to place a sun screen to cover the tree from about 12 N to 6 pm until mid-Oct.

Make sure your replant is not any deeper than the root collar, the place where is was in the ground originally and best to be an inch below that point. Also make sure that the soil drains well. More trees and other plants die from overwatering and "wet feet" than from underwatering.

dr_boogs
AG
Jeff Ledhe. Plant People. Top notch guy and company.
MemphisAg1
AG
Chinese Pistache likes well drained soil. I killed my first one because of too much moisture. Second one is planted on a rounded mound 6" above the ground and doing well. It catches some moisture from the sprinkler system. I only give it supplemental water once a month during the dry summer. Re-planting trees in summer isn't advisable; late fall or early winter is best. Good luck.

Your other trees sound fine.
scd88
AG
Thanks, everyone.
Fannie Luddite
AG
Absolutely bark wrap your Shumard and Chinese Pastiche. Burlap works fine.
jphil1
AG
I tried Top Point they are booked out at least 3-4 weeks. Plant People are busy ands not taking any new customers. Anyone have any any other recommendations?
studioone
go to the farm patch, at their garden area.. ask for Anne.... She knows ALL...
scd88
AG
Good stuff, everyone. Thanks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.