Animation of New 2818?

6,427 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Gameday Traffic Guy
Sweet Kitten Feet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I saw on here a few weeks ago an animation video of the new 2818. I've done several searches and for the life of me cannot find it. Hopefully the original posted of that link will see this and wouldn't mind sharing it again, or if anyone has it would you mind sharing? Really just trying to make sense of what i'm seeing every day vs what's in the video.
jello123
jello123
In regards to the intersections located at the FM 2347 (George Bush Drive), Holleman Drive and Luther Street, there are currently 32 conflict points (crossing, merging, diverging) from the existing intersection design, these are reduced to 14 conflict points with the proposed Super Street design
Justin2010
AG
Noticed several of these in Michigan when I was there last weekend. They seemed to work pretty well.
jello123
The nickname for these intersections are "Michigan Lefts"
cavscout96
AG
this is genius.

If I want to turn left from GB to 2818 currently, I have one traffic signal to deal with.

In the new design, I have three AND I have to turn right to go left....

This should be an absolute hoot for post game travel headed south......
cavscout96
AG
I didn't think they'd find anything more stupid than a diverging diamond on a 400 yard bridge, but...... clearly, I was wrong.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
They're adding more lights to 2818. Don't like that. The lights are good bit of the problem. 2818 was supposed to be more of a loop. Access roads and overpasses at the current intersections I think would've worked better. They need to build a new road out towards the river that would go to the south part of town.
iisanaggie
AG
This is more ridiculous than the diverging diamonds. Is CS getting kick backs or something for these asinine plans they keep implementing? How in the world can the citizens stop this mess?
Bucketrunner
I don't know, but I'm on board with stopping this mess. Somebody's engineering ego I guess.
MisterShipWreck
jello123 said:

That is the devil's work
Expert Analysis
AG
cavscout96 said:

this is genius.

If I want to turn left from GB to 2818 currently, I have one traffic signal to deal with.

You would think in the simulation they would time the lights so the turning movement doesn't need to stop at all three lights...
These designs rely on good signal timing. CoCS needs to do better all over town.

It is still mind boggling to me that the only grade separation they put on this project doesn't directly benefit the 2818 traffic.
Bucketrunner
Wake me if they ever get light timing down. It must be very hard to accomplish.
91_Aggie
AG
This looks awesome and clearly prioritizes traffic flow along a major thoroughfare.

Sure people on side streets wanting to access it and or turn off of it might have to go a little further, but this should definitely make traffic flow faster and safer.

Where can I go/who can I contact to make sure the people in charge of this are doing a great job?
legalbird
At beginning of video, I see a bottleneck. Can we get that cleaned up? It is about five or six cars waiting.
Rearview
AG
jello123 said:

The nickname for these intersections are "Michigan Lefts"

Actually it's called a SuperStreet such is similar but different.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstreet
cajunken
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

They need to build a new road out towards the river that would go to the south part of town.
This ^^. Why can't we extend SH 47 (Riverside Pkwy) southwest of Easterwood Airport so it connects with SH 40 (William D. Fitch Pkwy)? If yoiu look from Fitch heading northwest to Riverside Pkwy, the current portions of Barron road, Capstone, and North Dowling could be expanded for most of the connection in order to minimize the effect on property owners. From the hairpin curve on N. Dowling near Aggie Acres, it is straight shot to connect to SH 47.

I tried to post a map, but I keep getting a message that my post is too big.
techno-ag
AG
Quote:

I tried to post a map, but I keep getting a message that my post is too big.
Staff has been saying they don't like big graphics on this forum anymore. They're encouraging people to post links to the graphics instead.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
cavscout96
AG
91_Aggie said:

This looks awesome and clearly prioritizes traffic flow along a major thoroughfare.

Sure people on side streets wanting to access it and or turn off of it might have to go a little further, but this should definitely make traffic flow faster and safer.

Where can I go/who can I contact to make sure the people in charge of this are doing a great job?
this is a joke... right?
91_Aggie
AG
Nope.
No Joke.

That looks great for traffic safety and keeping the flow moving faster and cleaner on the main thoroughfare.

cavscout96
AG
how is it faster and cleaner to double the number of signals and go the opposite direction and U turn?

I will say that adding an additional lane in each direction and the deceleration lanes before RH turns will definitely help.

Tim Weaver
This is screaming contractor kickbacks to me. I can't imagine whay this is being considered otherwise.

Do we really have a problem with 2818? I certainly don't think so and I live right off it. Use it all the time. I can get all the way deep into Bryan in just a few minutes even with the traffic lights as-is.
Smeghead4761
The problems with 2818 exists primarily between Bush and Wellborn, morning and especially afternoon rush hour. Traffic backs up bad enough that someone created "PA 2818" parking hang tags a few years back.

Most of the day, it's not an issue, but a peak times, the three signals at Bush, Luther, and Holleman back traffic up really bad.
bcstx06
They should have just built a 3 lane freeway with feeder roads for the local business. I don't know why they need that big median of grass.
Rexter
Should have gone ahead and made the entire thing a freeway, raising 2818 over all of the side streets. Then make the feeder road left turn lanes cut at a 45* angle under the overpass so both sides can turn at once. Saw this style of turn lane in St Pete FL, and it works great.
91_Aggie
AG
In all seriousness with TTI in town, I think they get free reign to try more modern attempts at traffic control and CS gets to be the early testers.
GSS
cavscout96 said:

I didn't think they'd find anything more stupid than a diverging diamond on a 400 yard bridge, but...... clearly, I was wrong.

The slalom course known as the diverging diamond is currently at 7 posts taken down (if approaching eastbound), plus the obvious tire marks on the curbs/barriers. And if eastbound, turning left (northbound) onto 2818? The turn lanes is reverse banked, making it impossible to use the lane marker unless dropping to creep speed. Was there engineering involved?
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Mathguy64
AG
I get the diverging diamond. The through traffic on 60 pays the price with lights but almost all of the left turns and right turns are free. Since there is never a free lunch one movement pays and another gets the profit. It feels like a net win from a traffic flow stand.

This new thing I have driven on and I'm not a fan. There is a small version on 21 across from RELLIS. Going west on 21 you go down to make what I have mentally dubbed the "NASCAR left". You make it at speed to merge onto 21 coming east and back to town to then turn right to RELLIS. That's fine except. . . You have to make that left and not be timid as you enter traffic at 70 mph and then have to go over 2 lanes to then decelerate to make the right hand entry into the pits. And there isn't that much distance if there is traffic in both lanes.

The key is to make that sweeping NASCAR left with pace and speeding up to merge and get over so you can slow down. And we all know how everyone here merges onto 6 so well.
unmade bed
Was this designed by the same guy that re-designed the off/on ramps on HWY 6 between Barron road and Briarcrest? Or is that guy in jail for murder yet?
Ag_B_10
AG
Expert Analysis said:

cavscout96 said:

this is genius.

You would think in the simulation they would time the lights so the turning movement doesn't need to stop at all three lights...
These designs rely on good signal timing. CoCS needs to do better all over town.

It is still mind boggling to me that the only grade separation they put on this project doesn't directly benefit the 2818 traffic.

Because we all know how well the rest of the lights are set up when comes to timing. Driving west on University in the morning is a great example of that. Unless you do 10-15 mph over the limit, you're guaranteed to hit at minimum 5 or 6 full lights from bypass to 2818.
CS78
Woohoo, more red lights! But it's so progressive.
taxpreparer
AG

Quote:

I get the diverging diamond. The through traffic on 60 pays the price with lights but almost all of the left turns and right turns are free. Since there is never a free lunch one movement pays and another gets the profit. It feels like a net win from a traffic flow stand.
I heard they are replicating this at University and Hwy 6.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Mathguy64
AG
taxpreparer said:

Quote:

I heard they are replicating this at University and Hwy 6.
TXDOT has said this.
Expert Analysis
AG
You can see it in the available project documents on TxDOTs site.
hoodlum98
AG
So instead of being able to go directly across 2818 from one side of Holleman to the other you have to turn either right or left go down a ways and make a u-turn then come back up the road to turn right. I get that traffic backs up at that intersection but there could not be a better design? This is horrible, hell an overpass at that point would've been better.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.