Animation of New 2818?

6,516 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Gameday Traffic Guy
JB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They have a couple of these on 281 in San Antonio just north of 1604
Expert Analysis
AG
They are grade separating jones butler.
jello123
The proposed grade separation of Jones-Butler to Holleman Dr S should alleviate much of the traffic currently crossing 2818 from the Holleman E to Holleman S intersection/light.
GSS
JB said:

They have a couple of these on 281 in San Antonio just north of 1604
Indeed, first time I have ever encountered the concept. Seemed to work for its intended purpose. More so than a diverging diamond (the FM2818/FM60 debacle). For TX DOT to not try reduced speeds, closing faulty exits, lights BEFORE spending millions of $$ on the DD was simply dumb, IMO.

Any out-of-towner trying to get to the Easterwood terminal is in for a surprise, if heading west on FM60. The ultra short "merge/exit" lane is a joke.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
agnerd
AG
While we're complain about the diverging diamond, WHY THE HELL ISN'T IT OPEN ON GAMEDAYS FOR FANS EXITING KYLE FIELD AFTER THE GAME??? They send people down to Easterwood to U-turn, just like they did before. If the designer's claims that it reduces congestion are accurate, this seems like the PERFECT utilization of it. Seems completely idiotic to not use it for it's designed purpose.

And I had TTI profs teaching my transportation civil engineering classes. They harped over and over again not to do stuff that drivers don't expect. But then they go out and do exactly what they told us not to do. Seems like complete incompetency to me.
Expert Analysis
AG
agnerd said:

While we're complain about the diverging diamond, WHY THE HELL ISN'T IT OPEN ON GAMEDAYS FOR FANS EXITING KYLE FIELD AFTER THE GAME??? They send people down to Easterwood to U-turn, just like they did before. If the designer's claims that it reduces congestion are accurate, this seems like the PERFECT utilization of it. Seems completely idiotic to not use it for it's designed purpose.

And I had TTI profs teaching my transportation civil engineering classes. They harped over and over again not to do stuff that drivers don't expect. But then they go out and do exactly what they told us not to do. Seems like complete incompetency to me.

I asked this specific question a couple years ago. They indicated because 2818 may backup for some games and that it would clog the traffic at the DDI. They use the airport exit to provide more room for a queue.

That's fine but I have never seen it backed up to the DDI after a game. Maybe I leave quick enough to beat some traffic. I have seen it backed up to the DDI at rush hour though. I find it easier to get home after a game than if I leave work around rush hour so the overall exit plan is pretty good. I do wish they would wait to force people to the airport until 2818 actually started to backup. There are logistical issues with that though.
TommyBrady
AG
This whole thing is happening because Bryan TXDOT and the leadership of both cities refuse to demand the best ideas and instead are easy to agree to dumb ideas like this.

Other parts of the state get to receive highways and freeways they don't even need while we get a superstreet that we agreed to because we are weak.
techno-ag
AG
https://imgflip.com/i/5n7wyr
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
TommyBrady
AG
Unfortunately its both and has been observed for over a decade now. Other parts of the state especially other mpo's are so much more superior at getting what their area needs and not being ok with subpar and half assed plans.
doubledog
So now instead of one stop light to turn left on to 2818 you have 3. I can see how someone thinks that this is progress.

Gameday Traffic Guy
AG
Expert Analysis said:

agnerd said:

I asked this specific question a couple years ago. They indicated because 2818 may backup for some games and that it would clog the traffic at the DDI. They use the airport exit to provide more room for a queue.

That's fine but I have never seen it backed up to the DDI after a game. Maybe I leave quick enough to beat some traffic. I have seen it backed up to the DDI at rush hour though. I find it easier to get home after a game than if I leave work around rush hour so the overall exit plan is pretty good. I do wish they would wait to force people to the airport until 2818 actually started to backup. There are logistical issues with that though.
We do see southbound traffic backed-up to the DDI on big games. Today (with an 85,000 attendance) the SB queue extended halfway up the ramp from Stotzer. If we allow it to extend into the DDI, it will lock up the westbound flow across the bridge for all cars. That will extend back toward Discovery Drive.

And you're right, if we wait until the congestion is present its really hard (and not really as safe as I'd like) to get the WB to SB ramp closed. We do put a bunch of green time on that westbound direction.
Does that make sense?
Hornbeck
This looks absolutely dreadful. I went to college here, and moved away for a couple of decades. Traffic wasn't great then, and terrible now. That being said, there seems to be a huge disconnect between the two cities and 2818. Bryan has put in controlled access and overpasses. College Station seems real keen on lights. Using the bypass is not useful when going somewhere on the west side of either city. I fear Aggieland may become like Austin in terms of traffic if some insightful planning doesn't take place.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
I can't figure out how the overpass going in between Wellborn and Holleman ties in to this.

I don't see it on the animation

Is that the u-turn ?
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

I can't figure out how the overpass going in between Wellborn and Holleman ties in to this.

Is that the u-turn ?

That's the Jones Butler under/over?? pass I think.
Gameday Traffic Guy
AG
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

Is that the u-turn ?
The overpass allows Jones-Butler (aka Penberthy) to connect to Holleman south of FM 2818. That City of College Station project hasnt begun yet. This will connect the student apartments near those roads all the way down to Rock Prairie to a big piece of the campus' commuter parking around Reed Arena. The new connection wont have to go through a signalized intersection with the main FM 2818 lanes, allowing the Holleman/2818 intersection to serve those that want to get on or off 2818..
The u-turn for Holleman will happen west of Jones-Butler.

Make sense?
milner79
They should build a flyover bridge at NB 2818/Bush that dumps right into the Gate 12 parking lot.

legalbird
The problem with red lights in College Station. Very often 90% of traffic has a red light. 10% is green but nobody on that route. Aren't there smart traffic lights or automation controls that can be programmed basic on traffic
etmydst
AG
Will the DDI function better once the u-turn project on 2818 is complete?
Expert Analysis
AG
For after game traffic is bush/2818 controlled by fixed times, or does Bush get preference over 2818?
I was surprised to see 2818 backed up as much as it was for this game given a bunch of people left early and it wasn't a full stadium.
Then when I got up to bush I saw a reason why. We were maybe 20 cars back from light southbound on 2818. Got a green and made it half way to the light because traffic on other side was backed up. Quite a few made if from bush onto 2818. Next green light 5 vehicles in my lane got through the light, then Over 50 from bush made the turn to go south on 2818. The next green let a bunch from 2818 to continue south because the queue was half way down to the next light.
Gameday Traffic Guy
AG
Expert Analysis said:

For after game traffic is bush/2818 controlled by fixed times, or does Bush get preference over 2818?
I was surprised to see 2818 backed up as much as it was for this game given a bunch of people left early and it wasn't a full stadium.
Then when I got up to bush I saw a reason why. We were maybe 20 cars back from light southbound on 2818. Got a green and made it half way to the light because traffic on other side was backed up. Quite a few made if from bush onto 2818. Next green light 5 vehicles in my lane got through the light, then Over 50 from bush made the turn to go south on 2818. The next green let a bunch from 2818 to continue south because the queue was half way down to the next light.
Sorry I didnt see this post and respond sooner.
The speed of the UNM game caught us by surprise - we hadnt completely converted the signal timings when the crowd hit the streets.
Usually Bush gets some preference at 2818 because many in that exit flow dont get a choice. As the west campus lots empty, we give more time to 2818 because we can serve the Bush traffic with less time.
We have the signals in flash at Luther, an make Luther turn right so 2818 gets all the time there.
And we give 2818 a lot of time at Holleman. We watch the traffic very closely and adjust timings several times.
Our #1 priority on campus is to safely accommodate the big ped flows. Once those have declined we are allowing more traffic route options - for example, opening more north-route options that allow people to get to Hwy 6 easier rather than sitting in the 2818 traffic.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.