Emergency vet recs

2,035 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by histag10
Cartographer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My sister just moved to town and one of her pets has some kind of injury that needs a vet who can she call right now for help?
MiMi
S
South 40 Vet Clinic
TAMU Vet School Small Animal Clinic
Cartographer
Thank you!
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Wellborn Road Veterinary Medical Center handles emergencies
Gunner0740
Wellborn Road Vet Clinic has been extremely poor in its response to our needs for emergency very visits. Multiple times they've denied being able to see us and referred us to TAMU. We've even specifically said we're coming in on emergency and they've told us that they don't have an appointment. Kind of defeats the purpose of an emergency visit.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Wow. My experience has been the complete opposite. Been going there almost 20yrs. Always been happy with them whether it was regular care or the handful of emergencies we've had.
OceanStateAg
AG
South 40. I had a pup who was showing signs of GI distress last week and going into day 4, it wasn't worth waiting out a possible stomach bug. Couldn't get into my regular vet as they were booked full into this week. South 40 was great to go to. They kept the pup for a few hours ran some tests and it turned out to just be stomach bug and an out of sync digestive system. Fixed him up with some anti diarrhea and nausea meds along with a prescription dog food and it straightened him right out. I'm starting to reintroduce his regular dog food today. If symptoms return, I know it's time to change dog food.
TaterTot_09
Wellborn road vet was booking 2 weeks out when I called last week about my dog having difficulty breathing. I guess they don't consider that an emergency since they still asked if they could go ahead and book that appointment for me. I don't know how they can call themselves full service medical center if they can't reserve appointment times for sick pets or offer to work them in. My dog ended up having heart failure so A&M is where I ended up. I was able to find a next day appointment for a follow up after his hospital stay at Brazos Valley Animal Hospital, which I wasn't too impressed with but they got the job done.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Sorry to hear about your dog. I'm just speaking from my own experience. Every time we've called with something unusual that we need to come in for they've told we can be see as an emergency or we can make an appt. If we need to be seen that day than we bring the animal as an emergency. Seems half the times I'm there an emergency comes in as well. I think if you communicate to them that you need an emergency appt they will take you if it's really an emergency. Obviously we don't know how that conversation went down for you and you didn't have a great experience. Just want people to knwo that's not typical for them.
Jinx
Wellborn is an extremely popular vet, for good reason. Sounds like they have grown to such a patient load they cant keep up anymore?

I know it probably doesnt include emergency services but both All Pets Medical and Aggieland Animal Health and Pet Resort are both walking/view distance from Wellborn Rd. Vet.
Gunner0740
That's pretty much our exact experience. Every time we have tried to bring a pet in on emergency they only offer us an appointment that's a week out and refuse to take the pet "on emergency". We really liked the doctors there but whoever they have answering their phone isn't the greatest. We completely switched vets bc we were so fed up with being treated the way we were.
75AG
AG
Thankfully, we've had only one real emergency needing immediate care. Unfortunately, it was after our regular vets hours. We have a world-class school down the road. Why would anyone NOT go there? Not trying to start an argument, just asking the question.
MiMi
S
Quote:

We have a world-class school down the road. Why would anyone NOT go there?
I'm sure cost is the biggest reason. (TAMU students, faculty, staff, retirees do receive a 20% discount on all veterinary services at the vet school)
althormoon
MiMi said:

Quote:

I'm sure cost is the biggest reason. (TAMU students, faculty, staff, retirees do receive a 20% discount on all veterinary services at the vet school)

And even with the 20% discount the vet school is still more expensive than most places.
MiMi
S
Quote:

And even with the 20% discount the vet school is still more expensive than most places.
As a tertiary-care facility, the higher cost is understandable. But it is a major reason why many will choose to look elsewhere.
meezermom
Absolutely HORRIBLE experience at TAMU a few weeks ago for an emergency visit. The vet actually said to us, "I'm not a cat person." That's like a pediatrician saying, "I'm not a kid person." We had to go there because it was Sunday morning and Wellborn Road vet was not yet open and we thought our cat was dying. Thankfully, she wasn't but they did nothing for her at A&M. We brought her home that night and took her into Wellborn Road the next morning - Dr. Hibbets is amazing and treated both her and us like a patient and not just a number. I agree, they are very busy so it doesn't always work out, but I'm marking down the number of the 40 vet so I have it for emergencies. Never going to TAMU again.
histag10
AG
althormoon said:

MiMi said:

Quote:

Even after the discount, we paid over 1k for an overnight stay with fluids and activated charcoal (dog ate rat poison) with $500 due when walking in the door before being seen.

I mean, obviously we are incredibly grateful that they got him through it with no major issues, but that was definitely a shock to our bank account
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.