RSV

2,213 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by trouble
Law361
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dang. My 1 year old picked up rsv from her daycare and has been sick for 6 days (high fever, congestion, coughing, etc). Thankfully no breathing issues. We think she's starting to turn the corner, but is this normal? Feels like it's never going to end.
BrazosWifi
Law361 said:

Dang. My 1 year old picked up rsv from her daycare and has been sick for 6 days (high fever, congestion, coughing, etc). Thankfully no breathing issues. We think she's starting to turn the corner, but is this normal? Feels like it's never going to end.

It's rough, that's for sure. Ours all had it at one point or another.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
Gunner0740
Almost every parent I know with a young child has dealt with their kid getting rsv this year. Took about a week for all of my friends kids to get over it.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Hell, I'm 41 and caught it from my kid. Kicked my ass for about 8 days.
denied
When our daughter was shy of five months she got it at daycare. Had to go in CSFD ambulance from the pediatrician to St. Joseph, then get life flighted to S&W in Temple. Spent ten days intubated and under in the PICU, then four more days in a regular room getting weaned off fentanyl. So RSV isn't uncommon for children under two and it can be very serious. Adults get it all of the time too, we just don't realize it because it is so similar to a cold. Fortunately it sounds like your little one is improving and timeline wise should be past the worst part.
EBrazosAg
AG
Kids get RSV pretty frequently in normal time. Because of that the majority (not all) maintain some natural immunity. Isolation (and maybe masking) decreased infection and natural immunity for 18 mos or so. So decreased immunity means more cases of severe disease. How to say any individual case was worse because of this fact ? You can't. But clearly played into a off "cycle" and more severe RSV season this summer - which isn't RSV season.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
Law361 said:

Usually a 7-10 day initial infection with a lingering cough for 6 weeks.

Toddlers often get secondary bacterial sinusitis or ear infection after day 7 or so. If there is not a steady trend towards normal after day 5 it is worth getting seen again. RSV is rarely a one visit illness in kids under three.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bobinator
AG
Ours was sick for about a week earlier this summer with it also.
Law361
AG
She was seen by her pediatrician today, and she seems to be beating it. Fever seems to have finally broken yesterday, but you are correct about the ear infection we discovered. I hate the nighttime coughing, but I guess it's better than a hospitalization.
exalted512
AG
This has been going around on daycare as well. It's actually been a pretty big deal nationally. All the restrictions from COVID-19 has been worse for RSV, in the sense that no natural immunities were built up in the last year, and so it's been unseasonably bad this year.

We actually thought ours had it - all the symptoms, but took her to the doctor today and the swab came up negative. The doctors prescribed some antibiotics, so hopefully she'll be on the mend now. She had a fever yesterday, but we gave her some Tylenol and it had a pretty immediate effect. No Tylenol or fever today, but she was showing signs of an ear infection, so that's why we took her in.

Hope your baby gets better!
KidDoc
AG
exalted512 said:

This has been going around on daycare as well. It's actually been a pretty big deal nationally. All the restrictions from COVID-19 has been worse for RSV, in the sense that no natural immunities were built up in the last year, and so it's been unseasonably bad this year.

We actually thought ours had it - all the symptoms, but took her to the doctor today and the swab came up negative. The doctors prescribed some antibiotics, so hopefully she'll be on the mend now. She had a fever yesterday, but we gave her some Tylenol and it had a pretty immediate effect. No Tylenol or fever today, but she was showing signs of an ear infection, so that's why we took her in.

Hope your baby gets better!
I tend to not test for RSV much as it really doesn't change the plan. There is no antiviral that works for RSV sadly. It can just as easily be HMV, Parainfluenza, Rhinovirus, non-COVID coronavirus and all are pretty similar in presentation and symptoms.

RSV does tend to linger longer but again not much we can do about that unfortunately.
trouble
AG
I'm pretty sure we had it in July but I didn't bring my 2 in to see you because of those same reasons. We just stayed our behinds at home and treated the symptoms.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.