Quick trip to HEB this morning reveals how chitty people are

5,598 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by A Net Full of Jello
Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll never understand some people

Place is busy.. it's a Holiday.
There are no less than 5-6 cars parked right in front in the fire lane, car is running, driver on his phone obviously just parking there while his Karen wife is inside shopping.
They are blocking flow of traffic going in their direction and as mentioned it's a fire lane.. not a care in the world.

Imagine if everyone did this.

Goto gas pumps.. each pump is occupied with at least 1 car waiting behind . Hear a guy tap his horn at car in front him. Lady in front him has finished pumping gas , hung up nozzle , returned to her car and is sitting there on the phone.

As I pull out , and there are 2 cars behind me. I circle around to go the direction I need to go and lady that pulls into pump I was at has not even exited her car yet.. she is still sitting there on her phone

College age hippie guy on other side of me is finished pumping gas, nozzle is hung up , there is a car waiting but he is too busy washing his car. No lie he is using the squeegee to wash his car, while he was pumping cleaned his windshield and back window, then went to work on his side windows. Hung up nozzle and then proceeded to start use foam side on his driver side doors.. all while car is waiting to get gas.
It's not a car wash..

This is sadly where we are in society. Wow

Rant over
Bunk Moreland
bobinator
AG
Honestly think driving is one of the more depressing things in the world. It puts the general selfishness of some people on full display.

One I've been seeing lately is when traffic backs up on Rock Prairie going west over the train tracks at Wellborn, people will get in the right lane (which is a turn only lane) to skip the traffic and then force their way back in in the intersection and go straight.

I've seen it several times, and it's just blatant selfishness and thinking you're somehow too good to wait like everyone else.
Bunk Moreland
it's a big city bull**** move. Only serves to make the traffic worse.
Oogway
I had one last week that pretty much left me speechless.

Westbound on Rock Prairie after running errands, having just passed the Whataburger. Several cars are in the middle turning lane and are waiting for oncoming eastbound traffic to pass so they can turn left (south) into the Med entrance. A car exiting the Vet center across the street and waiting to turn left (east) decided that was too long of a wait and turned into the near lane (mine) and was driving the wrong way straight at me. They then nonchalantly veered over into the next lane in order to pass those cars and then cut over into the proper lane and continued on their way.

It was a closer call than they probably realize because I had to hit the brakes pretty hard while trying to guess what the heck I was dealing with. Not a mind reader people, that's why there are laws and licenses.
bobinator
AG
This is what I'm talking about when I say it's depressing. Like, it's not just that people are idiots, though there are plenty of those. Like people that pull through parking spots and end up going the wrong way in the parking aisles at HEB. That's just dumb, but not like "society is doomed" depressing.

It's the just absolute selfishness that some people drive with where sometimes after a long drive I can't believe society has even made it this far.
Stupe
S
Quote:

There are no less than 5-6 cars parked right in front in the fire lane, car is running, driver on his phone obviously just parking there while his Karen wife is inside shopping.
Drop people off in front? I have no issue with that. But park in the back and watch for them to come out.

The people that you are talking about.....I'm generally a courteous person, but I got done with those people a long time ago.
I have no issue honking at them now. If it startles pedestrians, I just point at the selfish person that is clogging up the driveway.
Mathguy64
AG
HEB Tower point was fine and sane this morning. However the dirty diaper in the Petsmart parking lot made an impression.

What the hell is wrong with people? You wouldn't drop trou and crap in public. At least I hope you wouldn't. So what makes you think it's ok to change JR in the parking lot and leave that right there? Your kid made it. You get to take it.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Mathguy64 said:

HEB Tower point was fine and sane this morning. However the dirty diaper in the Petsmart parking lot made an impression.

What the hell is wrong with people? You wouldn't drop trou and crap in public. At least I hope you wouldn't. So what makes you think it's ok to change JR in the parking lot and leave that right there? Your kid made it. You get to take it.

I did watch a kid take a dump in the middle of a train station in Bangkok. Throwing a diaper on the ground is the same sort of third world dump behavior.
Eliminatus
AG
One of my greatest pet peeves as well. Could law enforcement be used in this case to encourage people to not do this? Not saying cite them but shoo them along? I remember cops having words with parents at my HS when they tried doing this in front of the campus.
LOYAL AG
AG
Not defending people's driving but the city needs to rebuild the left turn lane at RP and Wellborn and make it significantly longer. It currently holds about 4 cars. Meanwhile 50 more pile up in the straight lane to go straight across Wellborn half of which are actually wanting to turn left. I promise you a good number of those using the right only lane to go straight are gambling that the car next to them is going to slide into the left turn lane and leave a gap for them to fill. Again not defending what is a dangerous habit but that's what is happening.

A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
LOYAL AG
AG
Eliminatus said:

One of my greatest pet peeves as well. Could law enforcement be used in this case to encourage people to not do this? Not saying cite them but shoo them along? I remember cops having words with parents at my HS when they tried doing this in front of the campus.
I doubt CSPD or any other PD is going to commit resources to traffic flow in front of HEB. Remember they won't even respond to accidents in the parking lot. If HEB wanted to spend money on off duty LEO's to usher people along that might happen but I doubt that gets any traction either for a couple of reasons. First HEB isn't going to spend the kind of money off duty LEO's cost to address this and second the LEO community is working a good amount of off duty work already on things that are honestly just bigger issues that traffic in front of HEB. Yes this is annoying but it's way down the list of things we want our police to care about, whether on duty or off duty.

My, $.02 as someone that's not an officer but is familiar with off duty work in this community.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
bobinator
AG
One of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life was a kid crapping in the road waiting for the ferry in Galveston (on the Bolivar side.) Parents got out and formed a towel wall around him and everything. It was like that halftime act 'Quick Change' but at the end there was crap in the road.

The reason it's so funny to me is imagining the conversation in that car leading to that moment.
Hornbeck
Driving around here is not quite to the South Florida level of craziness, but it's probably the worst place we've ever lived. The wife and I were talking about it the other day.
TLIAC
AG
Eliminatus said:

They could if they had the time. I know that CSPD (at least) is short staffed. The officer at the high school was probably the school resource officer/deputy assigned to that school.
TLIAC
AG
Hornbeck said:

Driving around here is not quite to the South Florida level of craziness, but it's probably the worst place we've ever lived. The wife and I were talking about it the other day.
You are not kidding! The hubs and I were just saying that the bad driving here, even with students returning, doesn't even compare with the level of Florida bad driving.
Smeghead4761
The biggest problem is that most of the roads were not built for the number of people driving on them. This is especially true of a lot of the intersections. How many signal cycles does it take to turn from northbound Texas onto University?

Some places traffic flow can be improved by upgrading the intersections, but only to a point.

The behavior mentioned by the OP by drivers at HEB, well, that's just self centered rudeness.

I'll leave you with this, from Robert Heinlein:

Quote:

A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot...
MisterShipWreck
I have previously had something similar at a WalMart more than 1x. Someone is just sitting there in the fire lane, and people are backed up into the parking lanes. And, no one can move. The first person out of the parking lane wants to turn left, but stopped because the car in the fire lane won't move. Then there are a ton of cars stuck behind that person.

2x, I have gotten out of my car and walked to the car that won't move. I knock on their window. When they lower the window, I point out to them that because of them just sitting there, all these cars behind them are just sitting there. Stuck. I then point to all the traffic behind them. I then tell the person that all of these cars would appreciate it if they would move.

Worked both times. Otherwise, we'd sit there even longer.
AC Hopper
S
Some believe things will be better now that everybody can carry a gun.
BCSWguru
AC Hopper said:

Some believe things will be better now that everybody can carry a gun.
That's genius. Youve been able to carry one in your vehicle for many years now, no "license" required.
AC Hopper
S
I know ... I have ... for many years.
A big, loud one ... with a license.
michellecan
Saw a woman in the parking lot of HEB get COMPLETELY bent out of shape because someone honked their horn at her. She was standing in the middle of the aisle, walking at a snails pace. Complete disregard for others. Zero respect.
txyaloo
AG
Would be nice if the Legislature would let volunteers ticket fire lane violations similar to the volunteer disabled parking programs.
milner79
If all this drives you crazy, I recommend you avoid Bucee's. Idiots there routinely fill their cars with gas, then leave their vehicles at the pumps while they go inside for 30 minutes of restroom/shopping. S#!theads.
FlyRod
Never encountered these troubles at the Villa Maria HEB. Good employees, well behaved customers.
new straw
Why are you telling people about our heb??
Carny89
This is why I have a real train horn on my truck. It always makes stupid folks move when the do stupid traffic moves.
histag10
AG
FlyRod said:

Never encountered these troubles at the Villa Maria HEB. Good employees, well behaved customers.

No, just fat and lazy people parking in the expectant mothers spots. At 8.5 months pregnant in the middle of summer, i had to park pretty far out. When I walked by the space, a very not pregnant lady was loading her car. She got super offended when I told her "congrats on expecting a new baby!" Her passenger thought it was hilarious and pointed out to her that she was parked in the expectant mothers spot.
Carny89
I don't ever park in handicap or pregnant spots. Ever. But the handicap spots are only needed. Those folks with disabilities needs it, but no one said go make segs and now you need to park close. I park far so no one touches my truck or hits it.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
TLIAC said:

Hornbeck said:

You are not kidding! The hubs and I were just saying that the bad driving here, even with students returning, doesn't even compare with the level of Florida bad driving.
Florida is the perfect storm of terrible driving. First, you have all the tourists who have no idea where they are going, realize they are supposed to exit but are in the far left lane, and rather than loop back, they will shoot across 5 lanes of traffic causing accidents and/or all sorts of traffic issues. Then, you have all the people who have relocated from the northeast. Boston drivers are absolutely horrible. New York and New Jersey drivers aren't much better. Now they are in Florida with the tourists. Not a good combination. And that would be bad enough, but we also get to add in the blue hairs who have retired there. 'Nuff said there. And then you have the people born and raised in Florida who know where they are going and what they are doing and have no time nor tolerance for the previously mentioned drivers. It's a jungle down there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.