Opinions of Anderson-Shiro ISD

4,616 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by veritas47
ukbb2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have any recent experience?
MyNameIsJeff
AG
No personal experience, but my wife and I are looking to move out of town. Anderson-Shiro is definitely the school district most people seem to want to be in. Followed by Iola and Franklin.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
We moved 6 times in 5 years to get in-district - send me an email... happy to fill you in. whoop03atgeemail
techno-ag
AG
I've heard good things. Iola and Mumford are the top small schools in the area, going by National Blue Ribbon awards. But Anderson-Shiro should be fine if you live out that way.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Ratsa
Iola Elementary got that award in 2009. I'm not sure how relevant that is today.
jeffk
AG
techno-ag said:

I've heard good things. Iola and Mumford are the top small schools in the area, going by National Blue Ribbon awards. But Anderson-Shiro should be fine if you live out that way.

This echos what I've observed and heard as well.

It is a small rural district though, so if you're coming from a larger suburban or urban district, you'll just have to get acclimated to the different pace and pattern of decision making, if that makes sense.
Wicked Good Ag
You will not go wrong with the following small schools in no particular order

Mumford. Takes few transfers each year from a list. A long list at that. Many of the teachers have been there for years and come from CSISD and other solid larger school districts.

Franklin. One of the better academic/ athletic school districts for a well balanced school and social life many kids I have talked to loved their time at their school

Iola is where a lot of people are moving to for the small school atmosphere compared to Mumford which isn't move in based but rather bused/drive in based

Anderson has gotten quite bigger over the last few years as they accept more transfers it seems that are outside the district boundaries.

Each of those schools give a person a smaller school feel without having to go private school locally.
None are really close to BCS so a drive would have to occur but IMO it would be well worth it. I have friends who work in Franklin Iola and I worked in Mumford. All three schools would be great for someone looking for a lower enrollment school but solid academics. While not as many connnections in A-S it seems to be getting bigger and bigger because it should be more than a small 2a school based upon population but is 3a in terms of size
techno-ag
AG
Just to add, transfers to the Jr High and up are easier at Mumford because there's more space. If shooting for the elementary then yes, get on the list.

Franklin does not take transfers. In district only.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
TyHolden
AG
what's internet situation out three? fiber? dial-up?
AgProgrammer
AG
MaximusDMeridius said:

Anderson school district covers a pretty good sized area. We are on Highway 30 in the Carlos area (Anderson school district) and have Brazos WiFi. I don't think they cover much of the actual area around Anderson though.

However, Mid-South Co-op is currently in the process of running fiber to all of their area. They already have service up and running from Navasota, all around Anderson, and back up towards Roans Prairie. They are currently stringing it on the poles in front of us on the highway and it's supposed to be available to us in about 6 months. They are expecting their entire service area to be finished covering by next summer. They just passed 5,000 customers connected to their fiber services.
555-PINF
MaximusDMeridius said:

We have CenturyLink in town and it's decent. 40mbps service, but we do see reduced service during peak usage times. We swapped out their "gimme" modem with their high end one and service/slow downs seem to have decreased in frequency.

Fortunately, we have ATT cell service with unlimited data and no caps, so we hotspot and stream when CL is bogged down.
michellecan
Thoughts on Nomangee ISD?
Jinx
michellecan said:

And internet, if poss
Spoony Love
AG
We just finished year three in NISD. You have your good and bad. The bad is sometimes the district is not the best at communicating or maybe we are expecting too much. We moved to Normangee from outside of Houston from a large school district.

The good, the people are great. Down to earth and nice. Many have been in Normangee forever but there has been an increase in outsiders moving in (us included). But the school is small, teachers have mostly been great, all of our kids are involved in Ag and it is working out well. The Superintendent came from the district we left the same year we moved in. We didn't know him at all but he seems to be working out well.

As for internet, if you live in Normangee proper (lol), you can get windstream. We are just out of reach and use a fixed wireless out of Madisonville. Haven't had any problems with it in the last year so fingers crossed. I'm not sure about the bigger neighborhood at Hilltop Lakes.
histag10
AG
michellecan said:

We have been trying to transfer into Normangee for 2 years. They keep hitting their hard cap on students in lower grades.

Here is my take on it: not "the best", but better than a lot (better than BISD in my opinion). It is a small school with a community feel. Ultimately, it is where we want our kids to end up, so we will continue trying to transfer in.
histag10
AG
techno-ag said:

Just to add, transfers to the Jr High and up are easier at Mumford because there's more space. If shooting for the elementary then yes, get on the list.

Franklin does not take transfers. In district only.

This made me sooo sad when we started looking at transferring out of BISD. If they take transfers, they have to take Hearne transfers. We live less than a mile from their district line.
BCSWguru
If you like one team towns, AS will be to your liking. If you prefer the big school bureaucracy, you wont like it.
CinchAG97
Let me help here from a sports perspective:

If your son likes basketball, go to Mumford. No football in Mumford.

If your son likes football or baseball go to Franklin.

If your daughter likes softball, go to Franklin.

Franklin is very solid to very good in several sports.

If your daughter likes volleyball, go to Iola.

A-S is solid in many sports.

Normangee is solid in many sports and has had championship caliber basketball teams in the past - remember Joe Jones who played for A&M?

Small schools can be great because of the ability to do a variety of activities, yet still get a good education - i.e. sports, FFA, band, UIL, One Act Play, FCCLA, etc.
Climate Doctors
ukbb2003
AGGODDESS said:

We moved 6 times in 5 years to get in-district - send me an email... happy to fill you in. whoop03atgeemail

Email sent, thanks.
Wicked Good Ag
CinchAG97 said:

Normangee is solid in many sports and has had championship caliber basketball teams in the past - remember Joe Jones who played for A&M?

Small schools can be great because of the ability to do a variety of activities, yet still get a good education - i.e. sports, FFA, band, UIL, One Act Play, FCCLA, etc.
Franklin basketball both boys and girls in very good as well better than Mumford but that is a class difference as well
techno-ag
AG
CinchAG97 said:

These are good points. Something else to consider if you are transferring for sports, you're setting yourself and your student up for some long late night drives after games if you live far away.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
woodiewood1
AGGODDESS said:

Gypsy family similar to parent's?
Aquin
AG
Some years ago I taught an AP class for Blinn at Anderson. They had some misgivings about whether Anderson had any students scholastically equipped to justify admission to what is supposed to be a college level course. They were correct. The grammar of the best and brightest juniors and seniors was at the junior high level. No one took notes in class. I felt for my own protection I should stay within the Teacher's Guide when testing. The grades were terrible. Like a lot of small schools, the valedictorian was picked in junior high by a well connected group of teachers and parents. Then everyone worked to make that happen. Placement in my class probably had more to do with small town family prominence than any scholastic record. I had the valedictorian, a teacher's daughter. Her take home work was wide of her class room product. Do not be misled by their facilities. The land was gifted to them permitting a huge improvement. I would look elsewhere.

Again just my opinion
Iola, enjoys great community support. I like the school, and while they have had a recent dust up regarding the board, the folks in that area will not permit anyone to mess with the school.

Franklin, have a friend who is an outstanding teacher teach there for years. Lots of positive things at this school.

Mumford, is a product of how bad the Hearne system is. Concerned parents left Hearne for Mumford. So they will watch the school closely to make sure it delivers.

Normangee is about average...nothing really bad but nothing really great.
techno-ag
AG
Aquin said:

Some years ago I taught an AP class for Blinn at Anderson. They had some misgivings about whether Anderson had any students scholastically equipped to justify admission to what is supposed to be a college level course. They were correct. The grammar of the best and brightest juniors and seniors was at the junior high level. No one took notes in class. I felt for my own protection I should stay within the Teacher's Guide when testing. The grades were terrible. Like a lot of small schools, the valedictorian was picked in junior high by a well connected group of teachers and parents. Then everyone worked to make that happen. Placement in my class probably had more to do with small town family prominence than any scholastic record. I had the valedictorian, a teacher's daughter. Her take home work was wide of her class room product. Do not be misled by their facilities. The land was gifted to them permitting a huge improvement. I would look elsewhere.

Again just my opinion
Iola, enjoys great community support. I like the school, and while they have had a recent dust up regarding the board, the folks in that area will not permit anyone to mess with the school.

Franklin, have a friend who is an outstanding teacher teach there for years. Lots of positive things at this school.

Mumford, is a product of how bad the Hearne system is. Concerned parents left Hearne for Mumford. So they will watch the school closely to make sure it delivers.

Mumford is a product of Pete Bienski's multi decade service as superintendent after moving there from St. Joseph. He ran the district really well a long time and it still shows.

They did grow when students from neighboring districts were allowed to transfer but they've grown bigger now that students from any district can transfer. Many Bryan students there, also Caldwell & other places.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
ReelDeal
AG
Aquin said:

Again just my opinion

How long ago did you teach this class there? What subject matter did you teach? I do not think ASCISD would select someone because of their parents being teachers or prominence in the community. Most of the top ten students go on to TAMU to graduate without issue. Not sure of your experience here, though. I would also like to hear more about the "feeling for your own protection" as this is the first time I've heard a teacher express that. I do recall a teacher from Blinn having multiple complaints for not teaching students, but rather grading them based on peer reviews. He was basically collecting a check and requiring students to correct students' papers and then assessing grades based on a final product. Needless to say, he is not with the district anymore. Please feel free to elaborate on your experience.
Aquin
AG
I chose my words carefully when I posted. I wanted to give the OP a heads up so that they might investigate the district to their own satisfaction. There were other issues that I could have mentioned, but those would be best addressed in a private conversation, not in a public forum. Anderson, like so many smaller rural schools is not as objective with their scholastic data as they should be. One would have to be very naive to think otherwise. Perhaps you might want to visit with Blinn and get their take on their AP course experience at Anderson. The students, minus one, were not qualified to be in an AP course. Regrettably I stand on my original post.
histag10
AG
There are plenty of small rural schools with impeccable scholastic records (that do not "give" away academic achievements) that provide a variety of advanced coursework. I'm sorry you feel that is not the case, but just because that is your opinion does not make it true.
Aquin
AG
I am sure you are correct, but that does not apply to all of them.
histag10
AG
Aquin said:

I am sure you are correct, but that does not apply to all of them.

Quote:

Like a lot of small schools, the valedictorian was picked in junior high by a well connected group of teachers and parents

Can you provide me with a list of schools who do this? You have made a very bold (and incredibly inflammatory) claim that you present as fact, now please, back it up with some facts.
Aquin
AG
Reread my original post. I shared, as fact, my experience at Anderson with the OP. I have my opinion, like you have, about the other districts. If you are class of '10, I have forty years on you. Nothing I have said should be considered inflammatory, unless you are extraordinarily insecure. I owe you no names or explanations. My personal experiences support every statement. You may not like it but you are not really in a position to demand anything from me.
histag10
AG
Aquin said:

Reread my original post. I shared, as fact, my experience at Anderson with the OP. I have my opinion, like you have, about the other districts. If you are class of '10, I have forty years on you. Nothing I have said should be considered inflammatory, unless you are extraordinarily insecure. I owe you no names or explanations. My personal experiences support every statement. You may not like it but you are not really in a position to demand anything from me.

Your experience at Anderson as an AP teacher for Blinn has absolutely nothing to do with these many other small ISDs you refuse to name. Does my class year, which is no indication of age, somehow preclude me from asking you to back up your internet tough guy statements with facts? I think not. But if you think so highly of yourself that you cannot be questioned by anyone who graduated after you, then so be it.
Aquin
AG
You caught me ....I think highly of myself

veritas47
Normangee ISD could be good if they didn't accept any transfer request. I have friends who teach or have taught there. They all said they're biggest problems are the kids who get in trouble at neighboring districts so their parents move them out of Franklin, Iola, Madisonville, Centerville, BCS, etc. and the problems just follow. NISD takes them all because of the state money that follows the transfers. The admin are good people but fear the parents.

Again, all hearsay.

I agree with the above posters that Franklin, Mumford, and Iola being the choice destinations (probably in that order).

I have heard that North Zulch is simply a smaller Normangee.

Any western choices? Not Snook or Somerville but is Caldwell an option? Others within 30ish min of BCS?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.