Helpful suggestions for College Students new to the area (Traffic addition)

4,519 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MiMi
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Helpful suggestions for College Students new to the area (Traffic addition)

1. Avoid Kiss and Drops on Ireland, Spence, Lubbock, Coke, Lamar, Houston streets. Instead drop people off in lot 54, they can then walk to the nearest bus stop or walk into campus.

2. College Station is not Snook, you cannot
Park in the middle of the street
You cannot make right turns from the left hand lane
You cannot make left turns from the right hand lane
You cannot take up more than one parking space

3. College Station is not Houston
No need to weave thru traffic (longest commute is less than 5 miles)
No need to speed thru town. (no need see above)
No need to tailgate (save that for the game)

4. The shrubbery on Texas Ave is not for aesthetics it is to hide the motorcycle police.

5. Texas Ave is not the only northish/southish road in the city.

Townies feel free to add your own
FlyRod
These are helpful suggestions for townies too.
doubledog
FlyRod said:

Agreed, however Townies should already know these suggestions.
rsa
AG
doubledog said:

FlyRod said:

Agreed, however Townies should already know these suggestions.
They should. But as we have all witnessed over the past 17 months while the students were largely away it is clear that they don't. Or at the very least they don't practice these suggestions.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Doesn't matter which way you go - left, right, straight - you can get to where you're going.

I'm at university/Texas and I want to go to the 2818 Wal-Mart, doesn't matter if you go east, west, or south, it'll take exactly the same amount of time.

My dad comes to town and asks where to turn. I'm like, wherever you want, all roads will take us there.
histag10
AG
Some commutes are more than 5 miles
histag10
AG
If you have your own lane on a turn, dont stop.

When entering hwy 6, you are responsible for merging into traffic and yielding to cars already on the highway
Donny Hall
If you are traveling on a bike or scooter at a speed faster than you can run WEAR A HELMET.

Plan your route around school zones and never speed on George Bush in the morning. The cops make quota in that area.

Lock your doors, hide your valuables. Most crimes target unlocked vehicles.

doubledog
histag10 said:

I agree, however I would bet that most students live within 5 miles of the University.
doubledog
histag10 said:

If you have your own lane on a turn, dont stop.

When entering hwy 6, you are responsible for merging into traffic and yielding to cars already on the highway
6. If you are east(ish) bound on University and you want to turn south(ish) on Texas Ave then you do not have to stop in the turn lane at the light (unless there are pedestrians. You own the right lane on Texas @ University)
cavscout96
AG
*edition
ratfacemcdougal
If they can't drive, what makes you think they can read
Jinx
Quote:

4. The shrubbery on Texas Ave is not for ascetics it is to hide the motorcycle police.

Dont tell them this one though, itll ruin my daily schadenfreude morning routine.
BQ_90
AG
Quote:

Park in the middle of the street
You cannot make right turns from the left hand lane
You cannot make left turns from the right hand lane
You cannot take up more than one parking space
Then how in the hell are you supposed to drive, esp on welborn drive

Yes I've seen all the above on Welborn.
halibut sinclair
*aesthetics
halibut sinclair
*Wellborn
FlyRod
For townies: there are now 60,000 more drivers here than a few weeks ago. Time your errands, trips to work, etc. accordingly. Helps mitigate the potential road rage over the inevitable.
doubledog
halibut sinclair said:

*aesthetics
that is what you get when you depend on your spell checker....
hopeandrealchange
While headed from Texas towards Anderson on Holleman don't let the rose bushes on the right block your view of the traffic stopped at the light.
hopeandrealchange
doubledog said:

histag10 said:

I agree, however I would bet that most students live within 5 miles of the University.

If our city staff and council have their way nothing but low income and seniors will live within 5 miles of campus unless it is university owned housing.
birdman
7. Don't stop for red lights. If you do, your car will be rear ended by the locals who ignore the traffic signals.
montegobay
Locals prefer 8 mph below the speed limit.
studioone

Do not cut someone off while changing lanes in the MIDDLE of an intersection...

Traffic was slow on wellborn by the bell tower and I was about to cross an intersection when the person on my left decided to switch lanes while in the middle of the intersection and almost ran into me and then the car in front of her cause she sped up so fast to move.. then she flipped me off cause I honked at her...

Isn't it illegal to change lanes while in the middle of an intersection?
histag10
AG
montegobay said:

Not true of all, but certainly true of many of the older locals
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
hopeandrealchange said:

While headed from Texas towards Anderson on Holleman don't let the rose bushes on the right block your view of the traffic stopped at the light.

This is such a bad setup with those rose bushes. Can't believe there haven't been more bad accidents there or the city hasn't made the apartment owners trim them to a height where the light is visible from a distance!
histag10
AG
We used to live in that neighborhood. It was sooo bad at that light
GTdad
histag10 said:

montegobay said:

Not true of all, but certainly true of many of the older locals
Unfair. I still drive like a bat out of hell.
Aggie
AG
Drive with common sense and some courtesy very few do anymore
sangria
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

Doesn't matter which way you go - left, right, straight - you can get to where you're going.

I'm at university/Texas and I want to go to the 2818 Wal-Mart, doesn't matter if you go east, west, or south, it'll take exactly the same amount of time.

My dad comes to town and asks where to turn. I'm like, wherever you want, all roads will take us there.
Yesss!! If you happen to miss your turn, DO NOT cut people off or stop in your lane until you can get over. Just keep driving and take the next left or right.

Inconvenient? Probably.

Safer? Yes!! And you will still get to your destination without causing an accident.

If you're on a multi-lane street, and someone from an adjoining parking lot needs to get out, pay attention to the lanes beside you. Sometimes it's just safer to not let the person out of the parking lot. I have witnessed so many accidents and near misses from someone trying to be polite and let the stuck driver out, only for the stuck driver to blindly pull into the empty lane and be broadsided by traffic he/she couldn't see. The driveway near Double Dave's/George Bush & Texas comes to mind.

Lastly, please pay attention when driving on residential streets, especially after dark. It's hot outside right now and those of us with dogs wait until it cools off to go for walks. I lost count the number of times I've had to dive out of the street to avoid being hit this week (our neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks, but we do have pretty wide streets).
histag10
AG
So yesterday at 6 and rock prairie (going south on feeder turning left onto rock prairie), someone made a 90 degree turn from the far right lane into the far left (turn lane) across traffic. I almost hit them (honked, obviously, because how else will they learn lol). I continued my drive to Jersey Mikes. Turns out she was going there too. I guess she thought I was road raging and followed her because she sat in her car until i got out, got my pickup order, and got back in my car. I laughed a little.

On another note- there is someone with serious road rage issues who drive OSR every morning headed west towards Bryan in a dark terrain with a head light out. She flips everyone off, tries to go 80, tries to pass on the right on OSR (yes basically in the ditch), will try to cut you off and brake check you, and then if you still somehow make it to 6 before them, they will try to run you off of 6 and slow down and speed up just to get beside you and then swerve hard into your lane before going about 90 to get away. Stay safe out there!
Smeghead4761
Just because your instrument panel is illuminated, doesn't mean your lights are on. (Honestly, why do automotive engineers do this?)
cavscout96
AG
Sounds like the sherrif need to patrol OSR in the mornings.
cavscout96
AG
Langenator said:

Just because your instrument panel is illuminated, doesn't mean your lights are on. (Honestly, why do automotive engineers do this?)

Amen!
histag10
AG
cavscout96 said:

Sounds like the sherrif need to patrol OSR in the mornings.
or dps. They used to always patrol it, but once construction started they all stopped
PS3D
Going to add one more. Rock Prairie and Holleman (both roads), heading westbound just before the railroad tracks...the right hand lane turns into a right-hand only lane. Do NOT try to jump across the road and merge in that way or try to cut in line.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.