Was there ever a bad accident on Northgate?

3,037 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by birdman
Post removed:
by user
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
About five or six years ago (memory is hazy) I think there were one or two pedestrians killed after being hit by a car? There have been several (again, going off of memory) pedestrians injured over the years in car/human collisions. Alcohol may have been a factor, I think with at least one of the accidents the pedestrians were either jay walking or crossing w/o the little walking light. Someone else may know a little more about it.
Rapier108
October 18th, 2015 is when the two pedestrians were killed.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
australopithecus robustus
Hundreds of people began to gather out side I the street about 12 years ago when the bars started opening over there. That side used to be just barber, cleaners, deli etc. The city eventually closed it off.

On the weekends it's packed like bourbon street.
Smeghead4761
Aside from Antonio's, an utterly incongruous lawyer's office, and maybe a barber shop, I think that whole block is bars now. Or bar and bistro/grill, at best.

"Roofie Row" as some of the cops call it. That area and Icon around the corner on University tend to be where most of the fights start.

It's not a permanent thing like College Main, but they close off Boyett between University and the north end of the Gig 'em Mart on Friday and Saturday nights. I think that started in the fall of 2019.
Gunner0740
13 years ago Lindsey Walters was killed while waiting in line to pay for the parking garage when a truck ran her over. Her friend was also struck but survived. That's when the bollards at the parking garage went in and the ones in the 100 block went in several years after that.
Stupe
S
It was needed.

I used that intersection a lot, but it was good to be proactive in closing it as the foot traffic grew.
Builder93
AG
Langenator said:

Aside from Antonio's, an utterly incongruous lawyer's office, and maybe a barber shop, I think that whole block is bars now. Or bar and bistro/grill, at best.

"Roofie Row" as some of the cops call it. That area and Icon around the corner on University tend to be where most of the fights start.

It's not a permanent thing like College Main, but they close off Boyett between University and the north end of the Gig 'em Mart on Friday and Saturday nights. I think that started in the fall of 2019.
I've heard first hand stories about grown women being roofied around town. I can't imagine how bad it would be at Northgate. I would tell girls at Northgate, if you didn't see your drink being made, you put it down and came back to it, or you took your eyes off of it, you shouldn't be drinking it.
Smeghead4761
Just another reason to drink beer, wine, or straight liquor - no mixing, just pour it.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Think about it this way... Although University Drive has not changed size (# of lanes) in the past 20+ years, the volume of traffic has probably more than doubled.

The number of bars in the now Northgate Entertainment District have more than doubled. It wasn't until the mid 2000's you started to see just a couple of establishments on that 2nd block back there, now it's wall to wall bars. Obviously the parking garage has had an impact. High density mid-rise housing has replaced what used to be old single story single family homes.

When I first moved to CS in 1999 and lived on northside you'd see folks dragging tables out of Dudley's and into the parking lane to play 42 on a Thursday or Friday afternoon. Even if it were allowed and that lane still existed, you'd be insane to do that with today's traffic.

I think the crash barrier along University and the bollards are just a necessary thing today.
Smeghead4761
They need to widen the sidewalk in front of the Backyard (this would require buying up part of the Backyard's front patio area) and extend that barrier all the way to the Gig 'em Mart. Good number of people get onto University on weekend nights, especially when the front door to the Backyard backs up.
histag10
AG
Langenator said:

Just another reason to drink beer, wine, or straight liquor - no mixing, just pour it.

Even with a bottle or draught, they can easily drop it in before they pour or as they take the bottlecap off.

As a woman, you have to be extra diligent when out drinking
birdman
The biggest danger was nighttime. But it was pretty bad during the day. You didn't have the alcohol factor, but students were always walking without awareness in that area.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.