CSISD *ASKS* Students to Wear Masks

20,065 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The problem with "Let it rip and get through this whole thing" is that the virus mutates. Today we r dealing with delta variant. Last year, we were dealing with something different. If we let it run it WILL mutate. And the next variant might be worse. We don't know. Why find out?

Writing to you from MD Anderson where I'm inpatient. People are tired. Professional people are nervous. They r worn out. I'm in a world class facility and I can't even imagine what the other facilities are like. It can't be good.
textar4404
1.618 said:

The problem with "Let it rip and get through this whole thing" is that the virus mutates. Today we r dealing with delta variant. Last year, we were dealing with something different. If we let it run it WILL mutate. And the next variant might be worse. We don't know. Why find out?

Writing to you from MD Anderson where I'm inpatient. People are tired. Professional people are nervous. They r worn out. I'm in a world class facility and I can't even imagine what the other facilities are like. It can't be good.

Yes, viruses mutate. Why do biological entities mutate? To survive. That's evolution (science). Why do viruses need to mutate to survive? The more lethal they are, the less likely they will continue to survive because they eliminate their potential hosts (again, evolution, aka science). Is it possible for a virus to mutate to a more lethal variant? Yes, but that isn't in the best interest of the survival of the virus (evolution, aka science). So what is more likely to happen? Viruses mutate to a less lethal, but more contagious variant. Best of both worlds for the virus. It doesn't kill the host and it spreads even faster (once again, evolution, aka science). What happens when a virus is able to spread without worry of killing its host and random mutation occurs. The chances of a more lethal variant go up. Not good. So when a preventative measure is pushed out to the masses that allows the virus to survive and doesn't slow the spread, what does that do to the evolutionary process?

lost my dog
textar4404 said:

Viruses mutate to a less lethal, but more contagious variant. Best of both worlds for the virus. It doesn't kill the host and it spreads even faster (once again, evolution, aka science).

That is the stable equilibrium - virus is contagious, but doesn't kill the host. But there is no guarantee that the virus evolves to reach this state immediately. It can become more contagious and more deadly along the way. Look at the Black Death. The bacterium likely existed for hundreds of years before mutating and become more becoming an efficient killer. Then it seems to have mutated again and faded away (plus we developed antibiotics.)

All I'm saying is that expect the virus to become like the common cold in one year may be wishful thinking. Time will tell. In the mean time, take wise steps.
Anna Molly
So
Smallpox
Measles
Polio
AIDS
Ebola
Chicken Pox

Should we let those just "evolve" too? I mean, if everyone gets these viruses, we'll eventually all be immune. The ones who survive, anyway.

I understand your point in general, but "let's just let evolution run its course" disregards how vaccines can also provide immunity. If a virus doesn't have a host, it doesn't replicate. We agree on that. The difference is how we get there.
textar4404
Anna Molly said:

So
Smallpox
Measles
Polio
AIDS
Ebola
Chicken Pox

Should we let those just "evolve" too? I mean, if everyone gets these viruses, we'll eventually all be immune. The ones who survive, anyway.

I understand your point in general, but "let's just let evolution run its course" disregards how vaccines can also provide immunity. If a virus doesn't have a host, it doesn't replicate. We agree on that. The difference is how we get there.
Your premise make sense if the vaccine actually prevents the spread of the virus. Too bad we don't have that right now.
JP76
textar4404 said:

Anna Molly said:

So
Smallpox
Measles
Polio
AIDS
Ebola
Chicken Pox

Your premise make sense if the vaccine actually prevents the spread of the virus. Too bad we don't have that right now.

1.2% mortality rate for COVID without vaccination up to 100% mortality rate for some of the others you listed
FlyRod
Several ISDs in the Brazos Valley just announced they're going virtual. It hasn't dawned on the "let 'er rip" crowd that they're in a small and shrinking minority, and folks concerned about the health of their kids are losing patience with them. A lot.
histag10
AG
FlyRod said:

Several ISDs in the Brazos Valley just announced they're going virtual. It hasn't dawned on the "let 'er rip" crowd that they're in a small and shrinking minority, and folks concerned about the health of their kids are losing patience with them. A lot.

I dont think that is an accurate statement as you think it is. Virtually no one at my sons large elementary wears a mask.
birdman
textar4404 said:

1.618 said:

Yes, viruses mutate. Why do biological entities mutate? To survive. That's evolution (science). Why do viruses need to mutate to survive? The more lethal they are, the less likely they will continue to survive because they eliminate their potential hosts (again, evolution, aka science). Is it possible for a virus to mutate to a more lethal variant? Yes, but that isn't in the best interest of the survival of the virus (evolution, aka science). So what is more likely to happen? Viruses mutate to a less lethal, but more contagious variant. Best of both worlds for the virus. It doesn't kill the host and it spreads even faster (once again, evolution, aka science). What happens when a virus is able to spread without worry of killing its host and random mutation occurs. The chances of a more lethal variant go up. Not good. So when a preventative measure is pushed out to the masses that allows the virus to survive and doesn't slow the spread, what does that do to the evolutionary process?

You used some scientific words, but don't know what they mean. Your post is just a hodge-podge of nonsense.

Viruses mutate because that's what happens when you replicate. Genetic material isn't copied exactly the same. That's a mutation. It might make the virus more contagious, less contagious, or any other variable.

Viruses do NOT mutate to survive. There is no thought involved. The virus that is more contagious is "going to have more babies". The more contagious virus are selected.

The largemouth bass that has better eye sight (because of genetic mutation) will catch more prey. Therefore he has better chance of having offspring. The next generation of fish might have slightly better eyesight than it's peers. Do that for thousands of generations...

I'm not tackling the rest of your post, but it's wrong too.

textar4404
birdman said:

textar4404 said:

1.618 said:

You used some scientific words, but don't know what they mean. Your post is just a hodge-podge of nonsense.

Viruses mutate because that's what happens when you replicate. Genetic material isn't copied exactly the same. That's a mutation. It might make the virus more contagious, less contagious, or any other variable.

Viruses do NOT mutate to survive. There is no thought involved. The virus that is more contagious is "going to have more babies". The more contagious virus are selected.

The largemouth bass that has better eye sight (because of genetic mutation) will catch more prey. Therefore he has better chance of having offspring. The next generation of fish might have slightly better eyesight than it's peers. Do that for thousands of generations...

The evolutionary purpose of mutations is to survive and multiply. Mutations that do not survive long term, do not last. Mutations that survive and multiply do last. More deadly mutations die off because they can not survive long term. Mutations that are less deadly survive long term because they do not kill off their hosts. Are you saying this is not true? If that's what you are saying, I would say you don't know basic biology (science).
chickencoupe16
AG
textar4404 said:

birdman said:

textar4404 said:

1.618 said:

The evolutionary purpose of mutations is to survive and multiply. Mutations that do not survive long term, do not last. Mutations that survive and multiply do last. More deadly mutations die off because they can not survive long term. Mutations that are less deadly survive long term because they do not kill off their hosts. Are you saying this is not true? If that's what you are saying, I would say you don't know basic biology (science).

Technically, mutations have no purpose. They just are.
threecatcorner
Well, that seems like a really stupid policy (BISD policy to count a kid absent if you quarantine them like you should instead of bringing them to school to spread the germs around). That will definitely wind up with an increase in cases because people whose kids have been exposed will just send them to school regardless of whether they know the kid's been exposed. I'd be surprised if this isn't due to something on the TEA's part. I think I read somewhere that last year TEA counted virtual school like regular school (in regards to whatever funding schools get based on kids' attendance) and this year, they aren't. Not sure what CSISD is doing about absences, but their superintendent said they weren't going to bother attempting any contact tracing at all this year. From the notes someone posted from the school board meeting, the superintendent said it'd be too hard to notify people about exposure in middle school and high school because those kids are in 6 or 7 different classes each day. I think it's not really that hard to look up a kid's schedule and notify all classmates (in all 7 classes); they just don't want that many absences if they all decided to quarantine.
Stupe
S
Anna Molly said:

So
Smallpox
Measles
Polio
AIDS
Ebola
Chicken Pox

AIDS doesn't remotely belong on that list.
It's not an airborne contagion and doesn't have a vaccine.

The other vaccines have research history behind them that is longer than few months.

For the record, I'm not an anti-vax person.
But your list has little credibility when you put a non-airborne pathogen on there and then compare vaccines that have years of research to one that was rolled out in less than a year.
Stupe
S
FlyRod said:

Do you have a link to what ISD's are going virtual?
Stupe
S
histag10 said:

FlyRod said:

I dont think that is an accurate statement as you think it is. Virtually no one at my sons large elementary wears a mask.
Yep.

I keep hearing some people talk about how all of these parents are angry that there aren't mask mandates and that minority are stopping it. The number of students wearing masks doesn't add up to that.

And there isn't a mandate AGAINST wearing a mask.

birdman
I'd estimate about 1 in 5 students in CSISD are wearing masks. That's based on what my children tell me about their two schools.
Bullpen Chias
AG
Masks are really only effective if the person with Covid is wearing it. If you're not infected and among a group of 20% wearing a mask in a classroom, you may as well not be wearing it.
George Costanza
Depends on the mask. N95 and KN95 masks are very efficient at protecting the wearer from Covid.
Stupe
S
What percentage of the students that are wearing masks are wearing those?

And changing the filters or changing out masks in a timely fashion?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
FlyRod said:

So wear a mask. Make your kids wear a mask.

Literally no one is stopping you. No one.
Ribbed Paultz
Stupe said:

histag10 said:

FlyRod said:

Yep.

I keep hearing some people talk about how all of these parents are angry that there aren't mask mandates and that minority are stopping it. The number of students wearing masks doesn't add up to that.

I have seen this tired argument made before. Kids also don't want to be bullied, and they take the path of least resistance. I know of one child who wants to wear a mask, but is scared of being ridiculed for it.

Sometimes the adults have to make the right decisions even if it is hard.
Stupe
S
Quote:

I have seen this tired argument made before. Kids also don't want to be bullied, and they take the path of least resistance. I know of one child who wants to wear a mask, but is scared of being ridiculed for it.That'

How many videos are there on Tic Toc, YouTube, etc.... of people chasing down someone wearing a mask for the purpose of going viral.

How many of people getting harassed for not wearing them?

Give me a break about people being bullied.
Tookieclothespin
AG
Bucketrunner said:

Home schooling is the future of education when school boards don't use common sense.
How are we supposed to do that if we have to work? You know...to feed the kids...clothe them...house them...

If I could I would, but probably not for the reasons you're suggesting.
FJB
Tookieclothespin
AG
Ribbed Paultz said:

Stupe said:

histag10 said:

FlyRod said:

Yep.

I have seen this tired argument made before. Kids also don't want to be bullied, and they take the path of least resistance. I know of one child who wants to wear a mask, but is scared of being ridiculed for it.

Sometimes the adults have to make the right decisions even if it is hard.
Alternatively, the adults could just get vaccinated if they're scared and then it doesn't matter if the kids are spreading it because the kids don't die of it and the adults who want protection from serious illness/death can have it.

We will never have zero covid cases

source:
CDC NUMBERS https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#demographicsovertime
FJB
nthomas99
AG
Tookieclothespin said:

Bucketrunner said:

Home schooling is the future of education when school boards don't use common sense.
How are we supposed to do that if we have to work? You know...to feed the kids...clothe them...house them...

Well, if the tax $$$ followed the student, a world of possibilities opens up...

I believe it's around $10K/yr the district gets per child (someone correct me with a more precise number if they know). If that had been available to the community during the pandemic early days, I would've teamed up with a few neighbors, hired a teacher (at a far higher salary) with a support staff member, and had a far better alternative to virtual learning. A micro-school of 15ish students with paid staff and some support from parents would be an interesting model to see explored.
histag10
AG
Stupe said:

What percentage of the students that are wearing masks are wearing those?

And changing the filters or changing out masks in a timely fashion?

If you saw my kids mask at the end of each day last year, you would gag. I even packed him multiple so he could change it, but he never did. I mean, he would sneeze in it, and keep wearing it.
cavscout96
AG
Tookieclothespin said:

Bucketrunner said:

to feed and clothe them?

or to have multiple devices, cable TV, and drive two brand new cars?

This may not be your particular situation, but a LOT of folks who use the same argument have not done very good assessments of what the have to do vs. what they want to do.
Stupe
S
Quote:

I'm not making light of your situation at all and I hope that you recover from whatever has you there.

You are an in an extremely high risk environment for infection even without this pandemic. Public schools are not that setting setting and it's comparing apples to oranges.
gunan01
AG
jja79 said:

How many sick and requiring medical care? My son's college golf team had to test before they could practice and only vaccinated guys tested positive. Publicizing positive test numbers has an agenda.
The "agenda" appears to be to try and keep the schools open
Stupe
S
When they are testing asymptomatic teenagers and vaccinated teenagers the agenda it's to get numbers up. Higher positives mean a better chance to push mask mandates.

Whey don't they require Flu A or B tests if people are asymptomatic?
nthomas99
AG
Does the district have any mitigative actions to start taking beyond just hoping a mask mandate returns?

I've got kids at elementary, intermediate, and middle schools in the district, and along with masks, most of the mitigation protocols from last school year (at least visible things like clustering students, etc) seem to have been abandoned. With those changes along with a more contagious strain, it's hard to buy the "see, they should all wear masks" argument.
Oogway
Beyond shutting everything down? I haven't heard anything. The staffing issue, to speculate, would be a factor that drives decision making for admins. Each elementary campus (CSISD) has around 600 students and around 80 staff. Over half the staff are either in the classroom or in some way working with children with assisted skills such as math, literacy, ESL, life skills etc). Once it gets above ten percent out due to quarantine (8-10 staff), that is going to take a toll. Obviously as some recover, the numbers fluctuate, but with ten elementary campuses as an example, if just four of them had a dozen staff out, you can see the numbers add up and the pool from which to draw substitutes shrink. That's the not great news, but the better news would be as staff return, then that employee ought to be 'good/recovered' going forward. I have no idea what the immunized percentage of staff throughout the district is, but if it is high, then hopefully fewer complications or issues.
jja79
AG
Positive tests doesn't equal the number with the virus.

Isn't it amazing how banks, grocery stores, etc have managed to stay open all this time?
Oogway
Some have, others have been able to shift employees from one location to another. Others still have had to close for a short time or have simply had wait times and service quality suffer. It requires empathy and community and cooperation and those seem in short supply lately.

I'm in favor of in person schooling. No comparison to the best educational outcomes and learning environment there. However, if it becomes an issue of not enough staff to cover classes, what measures could they adopt to assist? I suppose there are options, such as increasing class sizes, etc.

gunan01
AG
It's a good question. They've had 18 months to prepare mitigation strategies. Yet I've seen nothing. Masks by themselves have questionable usefulness, but as a layered approach with other strategies, they can help.

Not sure why the administration seems completely unprepared. Connally ISD is closed this week after two teachers died of the virus. Hearne ISD is going virtual for elementary and junior high students for the rest of the week to mitigate cases.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.