Suddencrap(link) finally has competition

15,034 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SoCalEscapee
happyinBCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
following because I live in woodcreek and just see cables all over the streets and in yards, will they bury all of this?
happyinBCS
WOW I think Suddencrap is feeling the heat I made a simple phone call no arguing I told them they now have competition my current bill is 146.51 per mo for TV and 100mbs internet my new bill going forward is 83.67 per mo I am glad to have the 43% savings and when Frontier lays fiber on my street I will switch to them. Something has changed with how they handle this area, no doubt they are feeling the pain of many cancellations
CN
tfunk02 said:

From Cellmapper the towers to the North and West are capable of getting 500 down. The one to the South has seen 250 down. I am surprised you have not see better speeds! Have you tried taking it outside? Do you have a radiant barrier roof? https://www.cellmapper.net/map
I didn't try taking it outside but I did try next to a few windows in the house. I have spray foam in my house so no radiant barrier roof. I also tried next to a glass wall from my second floor office in the business park outside of Pebble Creek near Hwy 6 and only got slightly better speeds but still well below 100 Mbps. I wish I would've noticed your post before I sent the gateway device back though. But I'm hopeful we'll have more viable options over SL soon.
Bob2525
BrazosWifi said:

atm86 said:

BrazosWifi said:

ChampsAg said:

Brazos WIFI is also doing fiber in some areas
Indeed we are. But that doesn't help a lot of SL customers.

60+ miles worth so far.

https://gis.brazosfiber.com/public_data/map.php

When do you anticipate doing Shenandoah?
It's not high on the list right now. We are focused on the rural areas. Frontier + MetroNet are going to duke it out with Suddenlink in town. I don't want to get tied up in that bloodbath, to be honest.
W OSR Fiber or another tower in the planning stage?
BrazosWifi
Bob2525 said:

W OSR Fiber or another tower in the planning stage?
Send your address in to info@brazoswifi.com and we can double check the status. We have some projects in the planning stages.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
Belton Ag
AG
I always chuckle when I see this thread title pop up in my watchlist. The OP includes the "(link)" in the title like we don't all immediately know it's Suddenlink he's talking about.

There's 2 kinds of Suddencrap in this town. It's either going to be after eating at a Chinese buffet or the cable company.
Tom Cardy
AG
Following up - got Frontier installed last week. Install technician was great and did an excellent job of wiring and cleaning up after himself. Contractors came out yesterday and buried the fiber line, so about 5 days from install to having the line buried.

Already worlds better than Suddenlink. I called to cancel today and didn't get much resistance other than offering $15 off per bill and giving me next 3 months for free.

Edit to add: I'm in Woodcreek area, and it looked like that crew burying fiber was just going down the street and burying what they saw.
aginresearch
AG
Can people that have installed Frontier fiber service post their general locations? I ask this because my in-laws moved into the Emerald Forest area last week and called Frontier about starting service with fiber. They were told that it wasn't available at their address and wouldn't be for a few more months if not longer. However, when they bought their house in July fiber conduit was being laid all over Emerald Forest.

Hearing about Woodcreek being lit up makes me wonder about that. Seems odd that Woodcreek is online but Emerald Forest is not. It is possible conduit was laid in Woodcreek earlier than in Emerald Forest and that could explain the discrepancy. Supply chain issues could also be causing deployment issues as well I guess.

On another note my Parents are in Nantucket and I sure love to see BrazosWifi jump Arrington and bring fiber from Greens Prairie Reserve. I doubt MetroNet or Frontier will bring fiber service to Nantucket since it is not inside CS city limits.
BrazosWifi
aginresearch said:

On another note my Parents are in Nantucket and I sure love to see BrazosWifi jump Arrington and bring fiber from Greens Prairie Reserve. I doubt MetroNet or Frontier will bring fiber service to Nantucket since it is not inside CS city limits.
Have your parent show their interest on our survey website: https://www.ineedbetterinternet.com. We only have 5% in Nantucket currently. If they have a nextdoor account, please have them post the link there too.

This is how we prioritize our next areas.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
aginresearch
AG
Probably most people in Nantucket have no idea about BrazosWifi fiber but perhaps I can get my parent's to bring it up to the HOA. I actually filled out the form on their behalf a number of months ago so they've already registered their interest!
Gigem314
AG
happyinBCS said:

WOW I think Suddencrap is feeling the heat I made a simple phone call no arguing I told them they now have competition my current bill is 146.51 per mo for TV and 100mbs internet my new bill going forward is 83.67 per mo I am glad to have the 43% savings and when Frontier lays fiber on my street I will switch to them. Something has changed with how they handle this area, no doubt they are feeling the pain of many cancellations
Hmm good to know.

We don't have fiber yet either, but I may go ahead and call to get my bill lowered.

Glad they're finally feeling the heat. It's been a long time coming.
Three Seasons
AG
We have been with Fronter here in Emerald Forest for about a month... great speed and service. Same pricing +-$60/1G service. They should be finished with the neighborhood, but I don't get around to all the streets. Check the street corners for the green box covers (18"X24"). If it's in but has orange flex pipe exposed, then they are still working. The best bet is to ask a worker where the tie-in box is he is running to, and you will get a good idea of how much more work they have to do - they are friendly and will stop for a minute or two to answer a question about areas that are finished.

... and Suddenlink was giving out a sweetheart of a deal when I called to switch over - probably could have saved a little money - but they won't get the competitive message unless they lose customers - and I was already out the door
Chrundle the Great
AG
Just tried it, I don't live in a Frontier fiber zone, but called suddenlink retention and told them about the rate "my neighbors" get from frontier and they agreed to drop my price to just below it for 1 year w/ autopay.

I'll gladly save $30 a month while I wait on fiber to get to my street.
KidDoc
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

Just tried it, I don't live in a Frontier fiber zone, but called suddenlink retention and told them about the rate "my neighbors" get from frontier and they agreed to drop my price to just below it for 1 year w/ autopay.

Thanks for the tip I will go through the pain and torture of calling them this weekend!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Gigem314
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

I actually just tried this today as well. They wouldn't match any of the numbers being thrown around from Frontier. But got $30 off a month for the next year and doubled my speed from the grandfathered 200 package to the 400.

Not great, as I know the increase after the 12 mo promo will probably be more than what I'm paying currently. But hoping there are fiber options by this time next year so I can either save again or finally make the switch.
Chrundle the Great
AG
Phone call surprisingly only took 23 minutes including hold time that was probably 15 of it.
Chrundle the Great
AG
And yeah I should've mentioned I was already at 400 so now it's $55 for 400 instead of the $60 for 500 frontier is offering, but close enough for my purposes.

As the retention employee was closing the phone call he did mention to "make sure and call us back in 12 months to restart this promotion" so at least they admit that's the way they are handling it haha.
Spyderman
AG
Just subscribed to SL's 100 MBPS 25/mo service. So far so good. Got a flyer yesterday advertising a 15/mo plan of their 30 MBPS. Probably would have gotten that and still may.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
Gigem314
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

And yeah I should've mentioned I was already at 400 so now it's $55 for 400 instead of the $60 for 500 frontier is offering, but close enough for my purposes.

As the retention employee was closing the phone call he did mention to "make sure and call us back in 12 months to restart this promotion" so at least they admit that's the way they are handling it haha.
Yes they told me the exact same thing. Guess I'll call next year to either continue with a promo or have a fiber option elsewhere so I can cancel.
SoCalEscapee
I work for Frontier (an actual employee not a contractor) here locally in BCS. If you have any questions or are interested in signing up let me know. Customer service has gotten a whole lot better since the transition almost 6 years ago now. There is a big push for the Frontier FiberOptic (Formerly known as FiOS) and our new CEO is really big on customer service. I've been able to assist several people that are in neighborhoods where the service has already been turned up, signed up for service, and other than a few minor complaints the service is pretty rock solid. I can't speak for other areas serviced in Texas but here in BCS we are rocking and rolling. Frontier is working on blanketing most of South College Station at the moment and is projected to move into some parts of Bryan at some point. This is a long term 4-7 year project that started this past March. I don't work in our construction or engineering department so I don't have direct access to time frames so I can't tell you when it will be in your neighborhood exactly but I can tell you if it is projected to come, if you are interested. I know when you call in or talk to a rep via chat they are only looking at the last updated spreadsheet they have for an area. They aren't updated in real time and sometimes aren't updated with when an area will be opened for service until after the original date has come and gone and half the time that update is off as well. Not a great system I know but way above my pay grade. Edelweiss area is obviously not going to be done by September and it probably won't be completed at this point until sometime the first half of 2022, from what I understand. There were some serious construction delays getting the first few neighborhoods done that have finally been worked out and now things on the construction side are moving along a lot smoother. Any exact date at this point should be taken with a large grain of sand. Anyways hit me up if you have any questions.
SoCalEscapee
Not true. Frontier is projecting to bring Frontier FiberOptic to Nantucket, Cove of Nantucket, Nantucket Cove and the Indian Lakes area at some point. Keep an eye out for it. As for your parents home in Emerald Forest half of Emerald Forest is on one servicing hub and the other (South of Bee Creek) is on another. The one that is South of Bee Creek was just opened up for service last Friday (10-29-21). They should be eligible for the fiber service now and able to place an order. If you need any assistance let me know.
aginresearch
AG
Awesome to hear about Nantucket! Thanks for the updated information about Emerald Forest I'll pass that along to my in-laws.
Chrundle the Great
AG
Can you speak to which Bryan neighborhoods? I ask because I thought Metronet had the contract and they seem a little behind frontier time wise.
BCS-Ag
Here is my experience with negotiating a lower rate. I am a longtime Suddenlink internet only customer (~$85 for 400mb) and it has been working surprisingly well in south CS for me for the last few years. I deplore their customer service, but have rarely had to call. I am impressed how well they held up during the COVID Zoom internet apocalypse while everyone was working from home.

I received a mailer from Frontier advertising $49 + $100 Visa gift card for 500MB or $59 + $200 gc for 1GB, both with a 3 year price guarantee. I called SL sat on hold and worked my way through to retention after saying I was planning to switch. After some back and forth, we settled on $44 per month, $100 credit to account for 1gb. They waived the install and cost for a new modem as I would need one. It is only a 1 year price commitment though, so am taking my chances....

p.s. SL already missed one install date for my new modem, saying noone was home even though I was here all day . My credit and new rate have hit my account already though...
bobinator
AG
For what it's worth to everyone, I was not as successful in getting my Suddenlink bill lowered. They lowered it by ten bucks but I'm still paying like $110/mo for the gig service.

I don't really want to switch during football season though since we stream in our house and I don't want to risk it. After football though I might switch.
SoCalEscapee
There probably isn't a contract per se to bring their product in but the City of Bryan is probably just making it easier for them to bring their service in via incentives, permit issuing, etc. Frontier is the incumbent phone provider and so we already have the infastructure in most neighborhoods in place as well as the backbone infastructure throughout the city already. I don't have the expansion map in front of me but I know Wheeler Ridge was on it, some of the area behind Bryan High, Austin's Colony/Estates. Mostly stuff in the Steephollow area at the moment. If you can give me a little more exact location I can check a little more precisely. Also I post quite a bit on the Nextdoor app and I know you can PM there feel free to hit me up or you (or anyone for that matter) call text or call my work number 979.218.1897 if you have questions.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.