Suddencrap(link) finally has competition

15,138 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SoCalEscapee
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Slocum on a mobile said:

AgProgrammer said:

Starlink isn't available in our area yet.

I signed up In January. Like Cavscout said, mid-late this year, I'm hoping soon. I have a few friends over near Austin who have it, and they rave about it.
So how does Starlink do when you have heavy rains and lightning? Is it like Direct TV and you are SOL?

I have paid the $100 to reserve a spot on Starlink, but I will need to see how it operates during bad weather.

Post removed:
by user
woodiewood1
Slocum on a mobile said:

So, starlink users report good service even in bad weather. I was concerned about this as well.

https://www.businessinsider.com/spacexs-starlink-still-provides-rapid-internet-speeds-in-bad-weather-2020-11
I saw that but it said nothing about heavy rain and lightning storms in between the dish and the starklink Sat
NearAwesomeness
Anyone here have T-Mobile 5G Home Internet? It appears that it should be available for our home (in Bryan) per their website. They advertise download speeds between 25 and >100 MB down, and upload speeds between 6 23 MB for $60/month.

I get 85 down/10 up with Suddenlink for $95/month, so if T-Mobile was somehow on the high end of what they're advertising, that could be mildly tempting.
Post removed:
by user
techno-ag
AG
It might be a long time before StarLink gets here. Probably another year. I know they said mid to late this year but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Post removed:
by user
InMyOpinion
91_Aggie said:

InMyOpinion said:

MarineBQ04 said:

Frontier has been dropping Fiber Optic in several neighborhoods. I have an appt for an install Friday. I'll be paying $59.99/month for 980 mbps vs the $120.99 for 400mbps from Suddenlink.
Geez - I pay 79.95 for 1G service from Suddenlink

You are likely on "the first 12 months deal". I only have 350GB but paying much more than that to suddenlink

Been a customer since the mid 90's - TCA -> Cox -> Suddenlink.
bco2003
AG
NearAwesomeness said:

Anyone here have T-Mobile 5G Home Internet? It appears that it should be available for our home (in Bryan) per their website. They advertise download speeds between 25 and >100 MB down, and upload speeds between 6 23 MB for $60/month.

I get 85 down/10 up with Suddenlink for $95/month, so if T-Mobile was somehow on the high end of what they're advertising, that could be mildly tempting.
You can try it for a month without canceling SL. If it doesn't work out, just return it; no cancellation/activation fees.
atm86
AG
Is there a schedule for Frontier to different areas? I'm in Shenandoah.
bobinator
AG
You can do an online chat with them and get info pretty easy, that's what I did.
atm86
AG
NM
atm86
AG
BrazosWifi said:

ChampsAg said:

Brazos WIFI is also doing fiber in some areas
Indeed we are. But that doesn't help a lot of SL customers.

60+ miles worth so far.

https://gis.brazosfiber.com/public_data/map.php

When do you anticipate doing Shenandoah?
BrazosWifi
atm86 said:

BrazosWifi said:

ChampsAg said:

Brazos WIFI is also doing fiber in some areas
Indeed we are. But that doesn't help a lot of SL customers.

60+ miles worth so far.

https://gis.brazosfiber.com/public_data/map.php

When do you anticipate doing Shenandoah?
It's not high on the list right now. We are focused on the rural areas. Frontier + MetroNet are going to duke it out with Suddenlink in town. I don't want to get tied up in that bloodbath, to be honest.
mrm5932
AG
Any plans for Yaupon trails off 30 near your office?
BrazosWifi
mrm5932 said:

Hopefully so. I hate to promise something that may not happen but we are working that way.
m3prsive
Just signed up for TMobile 5g home internet. Getting 435mb down and 50mb up. $50 per month inclusive of all fees and taxes. Free equipment. I tried it at my parents place near Tower point and at my house in Williams Creek. Equal results. Done with Suddenlink if it stays like for a test month . No data cap also.
techno-ag
AG
m3prsive said:

Just signed up for TMobile 5g home internet. Getting 435mb down and 50mb up. $50 per month inclusive of all fees and taxes. Free equipment. I tried it at my parents place near Tower point and at my house in Williams Creek. Equal results. Done with Suddenlink if it stays like for a test month . No data cap also.
Sounds like some decent competition finally.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Chrundle the Great
AG
I never got close to that when I tried in February
bco2003
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

I never got close to that when I tried in February
T-Mobile is rapidly expanding the mid-band 2.5 GHz spectrum on 5G, which offers these speeds.

This added bandwidth/capacity is added week by week across the nation.
CN
m3prsive said:

Wait, what? I thought it was 100 Mbps when it was first announced and that was under ideal conditions. That's awesome and I'm definitely going to look into it now.
CN
I just checked availability and they say it's not available in my neighborhood (Pebble Creek). I checked a friend's address in Williams Creek and they say it's not available there either. I wonder if their availability database needs updating.
m3prsive
So full disclosure, I did have to use another address (my parents place) to get it. Odd considering it works where I'm at. They advertise 1gb if perfect signal. I'm happy with what it's giving me. Watching a 4k movie on Disney+ didn't stutter once for me.
CN
m3prsive said:

So full disclosure, I did have to use another address (my parents place) to get it. Odd considering it works where I'm at. They advertise 1gb if perfect signal. I'm happy with what it's giving me. Watching a 4k movie on Disney+ didn't stutter once for me.
Can you reveal their neighborhood? I tried my parent's address in Castlegate II and there was no availability there either (which doesn't surprise me seeing how I got no cell signal on T-Mobile at all out there for a long time).
m3prsive
Spring Creek Townhomes.
Chrundle the Great
AG
Did they add bridge mode functionality to the router yet?
CN
m3prsive said:

Spring Creek Townhomes.
Thanks for the tip. I found an address there I could use and was able to get past the availability page and chat with a rep. I'm all signed up with my real address. Equipment is back ordered but I should get something late September.
jwhitlock3
If anyone is aware of T-mobile working in Creek Meadows Estates side I'd love to switch!
m3prsive
I was told equipment was back-ordered till mid September also. I got it 5 days later. I haven't tried bridging it to my Velop Mesh yet so don't know if that function works yet. Router does have 2 LAN ports on it so it shouldn't be an issue.
Chrundle the Great
AG
When I tested it, my understanding was the hardware had the capability but T-Mobile walled a lot if it's functionality out with their firmware. When I cancelled I said bridge mode was the reason and online they got a lot complaints so hopefully they fix it.
EBrazosAg
AG
BrazosWifi said:

mrm5932 said:

Hopefully so. I hate to promise something that may not happen but we are working that way.

I have Brazos WiFI and probably won't get their fiber to my house any time soon. But if everyone could have a company that is as responsive and customer friendly as they are they would probably sacrifice some speed for that advantage
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CN
I received it over the weekend but unfortunately, T-Mobile Home Internet is just too slow in Pebble Creek. I was getting only about 50 Mbps down and 10-20 up. Tried various places around the house but no luck. The connection status kept showing up as weak.
KidDoc
AG
I just checked in Pebble Creek and they only have 3M speeds with Frontier at the moment. I need/want much more than that will have to continue with Suddenlink and the almost nightly internet breaks they are so kind to give us.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tom Cardy
AG
Frontier just told me that they have up to 1gig fiber in my area (Foxfire/Wookcreek), currently using SL and debating making the switch. Anyone in the area already switched over and can confirm it's working and stable?
tfunk02
AG
Here are the T-Mobile towers near you. There's also a Sprint band 41 at Pebble Creek Cut Off and 6.
You may want to take it near those towers to see what the speeds are like. Maybe they don't have 5G? They are very close. If the speeds by the towers are MUCH better, you could consider adding external antennas to the system.

https://www.waveform.com/a/b/guides/hotspots/t-mobile-5g-gateway/

I have one of these on my roof connected to my hotspot, but I'm out in the boonies and 50 down is great for us. The antenna brings us from a 2 or 3 bar to a full 5 bar signal (-50 RSSI and lower).
https://www.streakwave.com/hp-5g-lte-mimo-4x4-5m

From Cellmapper the towers to the North and West are capable of getting 500 down. The one to the South has seen 250 down. I am surprised you have not see better speeds! Have you tried taking it outside? Do you have a radiant barrier roof? https://www.cellmapper.net/map
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.