Is there a nicer area to live in than Indian Lakes?

8,766 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Fisted Lamb
Post removed:
by user
isitjustme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, but it really all depends on what you like, what you think is nice, and so on. But Indian Lakes is very nice.
Sleepnumber
AG
Miramont
Post removed:
by user
bcstx06
There are many nice neighborhoods in this area, many are smaller and lesser known.
Miramont
Pebble Creek
Traditions

The 3 above are all golf committees. Traditions is my favorite over all, Indian Lakes is up there too. The terrain is part of what makes Traditions stand out from the others.
happyinBCS
Woodcreek is fantastic if you don't want to live in a golf course community
woodiewood1
I would probably move out to Millican Reserve if I wanted to get out of town. It will be years before it's in the City of CS. I look for Indian Lakes to be in the city within a decade.

I would consider out to King Oaks also as the homes are all nice and the area is quiet and the property taxes are considerable less.
CS78
[This is not the General Board and if you are not going to add to the conversation then you do not need to post. -Staff]
ukbb2003
woodiewood1 said:

I would probably move out to Millican Reserve if I wanted to get out of town. It will be years before it's in the City of CS. I look for Indian Lakes to be in the city within a decade.

I would consider out to King Oaks also as the homes are all nice and the area is quiet and the property taxes are considerable less.

You make up for the property taxes with the MUD tax.
AgProgrammer
AG
I didn't think King Oaks has MUD taxes. The real estate listings for houses for sale out there say no MUD.
ElephantRider
AG
Isn't most of Millican Reserve in Navasota ISD?
Post removed:
by user
75AG
AG
ElephantRider said:

Isn't most of Millican Reserve in Navasota ISD?
I believe 1/3 is.
woodiewood1
ukbb2003 said:

woodiewood1 said:

You make up for the property taxes with the MUD tax.
The utility district tax makes King Oaks a little higher than In Lakes. Total of 2.25% versus 1.75%.

Two things to also consider. One, King Oaks is never going to be annexed, Ind lakes will be and maybe soon than later. it's less than a half of a mile from the city boundary....our city fathers thirst for OPM will be a factor. King Oaks will never be. Two, the lot costs at Ind Lakes are from $150,000 to $200,000+ per acre whereas in King Oaks they are from $40,000 to $70,000 per acre. Put the difference in an investment and you can pay the extra utility tax.

To me King Oaks, Millican Reserve, or Ind Lakes area all fine locations to live. Ben****er, Peach Creek, or Duck Haven would also be nice to me.
maddiedou
AG
And that is crazy 150-200 an acre and they offer nothing more than a piece of land
woodiewood1
maddiedou said:

And that is crazy 150-200 an acre and they offer nothing more than a piece of land
Some IL solds for the past year.
Lot Size SF
Price
$72,750

$135,000

$239,500

$279,900

$385,000

maddiedou
AG
I think you are gonna have to print it out
doubledog
FAT SEXY said:

If I was more well off financially, this area would be my #1 place to build in around B/CS.

So damn nice out here.. big props to whoever developed it.
Not in B/CS, but I like my cabin up in the Rist Canyon just west of Fort Collins.
ukbb2003
AgProgrammer said:

I didn't think King Oaks has MUD taxes. The real estate listings for houses for sale out there say no MUD.

Yes, sorry. I missed the King Oaks part. Thought they were still talking about Millican Reserve.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
The new phase of Pebble Creek is nice but I don't know if any lots left. I think home builders have claimed em all.
mwm
Sure. Just ask my neighbors.
MemphisAg1
AG
woodiewood1 said:

maddiedou said:

Lot Size SF
Price
$72,750

$135,000

$239,500

$279,900

$385,000

The housing/land inflation is crazy. I bought a 1.43 acre lot in IL in 2014 for 63k/acre. Felt expensive then.
Rex Racer
AG
I love Greenbranch Ridge.
woodiewood1
MemphisAg1 said:

woodiewood1 said:

maddiedou said:

Lot Size SF
Price
$72,750

$135,000

$239,500

$279,900

$385,000

The housing/land inflation is crazy. I bought a 1.43 acre lot in IL in 2014 for 63k/acre. Felt expensive then.
About the best long term investment there is in good location land in College Station and area.

We purchased our home in 2010 for $168,000 and was appraised in Dec 2020 for $496,000. Crazy. My children love that!
b0ridi
woodiewood1 said:

MemphisAg1 said:

woodiewood1 said:

maddiedou said:

Lot Size SF
Price
$72,750

$135,000

$239,500

$279,900

$385,000

About the best long term investment there is in good location land in College Station and area.

We purchased our home in 2010 for $168,000 and was appraised in Dec 2020 for $496,000. Crazy. My children love that!
Rough calculation says $168,000 placed in the SP500 in January 2010 would be worth about $800k today.
https://www.slickcharts.com/sp500/returns
ElephantRider
AG
Rex Racer said:

I love Greenbranch Ridge.

I was just doing some work out there the other day. I really liked it
woodiewood1
b0ridi said:

woodiewood1 said:

MemphisAg1 said:

woodiewood1 said:

maddiedou said:

Lot Size SF
Price
$72,750

$135,000

$239,500

$279,900

$385,000

Rough calculation says $168,000 placed in the SP500 in January 2010 would be worth about $800k today.
https://www.slickcharts.com/sp500/returns

At what tax rate did you figure in your rough calculation?
maddiedou
AG
Well your 120,000 in taxes also brings that down

I have no clue what your taxes are that was just a guess for 11 years
woodiewood1
maddiedou said:

Well your 120,000 in taxes also brings that down

I have no clue what your taxes are that was just a guess for 11 years
That's true, but whether you own and pay property taxes or pay the landlord's property taxes in the rent, unless you live in a travel trailer and live in the city parks and various parking lots, can't get away from property taxes.

I probably have paid about $45,000 in property taxes over the 10 years, some of which is a tax deduction.

Both options are good investments.

Have a great Sunday!
KidDoc
AG
I've been very happy with Pebble Creek for the last 6 years. I am not a golfer and don't use the country club at all.

I did the 5 acre rural home thing back in 2005-2008 or so. I got tired of crappy wireless internet, worrying about well water, septic, and propane real quick. It was cool to have a few horses and such but the yard was a LOT of work. I decided not to do that again.

I know Indian Lakes has more infrastructure than I had then but still don't want more than 1/3 acre or so.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXCityGirl
Mission Ranch is a newer development west of Wellborn Road towards the river in College Station.
Tumble Weed
I didn't buy in Indian Lakes because I was concerned about the quality of the roads getting out there and my kids were about to start driving. I would imagine that the sprawl has increased the issues. I bought my house in 2011.

Now I wish that I would have bought anyway. Just need more space from my neighbors. Been looking at King Oaks since the kids are out of school now.
Donny Hall
I prefer older estate houses. College Park / Brison Park on historic southgate side. Also N Rosemary in Bryan are my favs.

I don't like having to drive faster than 40 or more than 5 minutes to anything - thats why I live on some acreage next to University preserve in the middle of town.
woodiewood1
Tumble Weed said:

I didn't buy in Indian Lakes because I was concerned about the quality of the roads getting out there and my kids were about to start driving. I would imagine that the sprawl has increased the issues. I bought my house in 2011.

Now I wish that I would have bought anyway. Just need more space from my neighbors. Been looking at King Oaks since the kids are out of school now.
Indian Lakes entry is from Hwy 6 and is as good a road as needed and no congestion on the feeder road now.. I suppose there will be commercial built in the future north and south of the entrance, but would not affect the homes in IL. Ind Lakes is very good but land is extremely expensive.
woodiewood1
Donny Hall said:

I prefer older estate houses. College Park / Brison Park on historic southgate side. Also N Rosemary in Bryan are my favs.

I don't like having to drive faster than 40 or more than 5 minutes to anything - thats why I live on some acreage next to University preserve in the middle of town.
That's what we did but in the Hysterical neighborhood. We are only one of two houses connected to Brison Park and within site of Kyle Field. We have five acres of woods in our east and south sides...we live 450 feet from campus and live in the woods! As you mentioned, I live being five minutes to most everything we go to and also able to walk to A&M sports.

We looked at a number of homes near you back in 2010.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.