Local electrician or repair shop that will work on individual fixtures

1,221 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JP76
dr_boogs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've got an outdoor fixture (apparently called a sconce) on our entryway that has gone out. Voltage is good, lightbulb isn't the issue. Is there anyone locally that I could take the fixture to for repair? Would prefer to give this a try because I can't seem to find the fixture model for sale anymore. If we have to replace it, we'll have to replace the other one that matches it.

Thanks for any leads. Gig'em!
BCSMom
Try University Electric
(979) 820-1044
cavscout96
AG
post a pic,

rewiring is, generally, pretty easy.
EliteElectric
Do you have power to the lamp holder (socket) or are you checking voltage at the box behind the fixture?
dr_boogs
AG
Will do some more diagnostics this weekend when I take the fixture down. Will try and post some pics then. Thanks for the input so far everyone.
dr_boogs
AG
Ok here's the weekend update, appreciate any advice other than trying to find a replacement socket to swap out.

voltage tester reading voltage at the lightbulb socket in the fixture. Multiple lightbulbs changed, nothing. Took the fixture down. Here is a photo of the back plate.

And after a little disassembly this is the socket. All the connections looked good. Any thoughts appreciated, or where to find a replacement socket I can swap out.

EliteElectric
Lowes may sell them if not Crawford will have them.
JP76
Can you post a picture of the inside of the socket where the bulb goes ?
dr_boogs
AG
Here you go

JP76
What voltage are you seeing at the socket when you test it ?

Have you tried bending the metal tab up to make better contact with the bottom of the light bulb ?

dr_boogs
AG
I don't have a voltage meter, just a basic voltage tester w a range of 12-1000. One of little pencil looking testers.

No, will give that a try. Thanks.
JP76
Turn the breaker off the that circuit before working on it

https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/repair-a-light-fixture/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.