Worst Aggieland Traffic Habits, IMHO...

5,360 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by theNetSmith
Post removed:
by user
gus1390
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yep, all those are true. The one that really gets me is the recent (last couple of years) habit of people taking exits off of Rudder crossing from the left lane
KidDoc
AG
Solid list. I would add the turn right onto Texas Ave from 2818-- again you have your own lane.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rapier108
Right turn off the Highway 6 feeder road onto University Drive West.

Protected right and people still sit there and wait forever.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Kbeauty63
AG
Rapier108 said:

why - because they want to turn left on Glenhaven!
Look Out Below
AG
8. People running red lights
9. People running stop signs
10. People who drive at night with their headlights off (see it EVERY night...wtf?)
GTdad
Heading east on University after work:

1) The folks who block traffic in the middle lane, trying to force their way at the last minute into the long line in the right lane to turn onto Hwy 6.

2) The folks on East University Drive who have no clue that the speed limit is 60, not 45.
bobinator
AG
The running red lights is definitely a problem. I've started doing a full "look left and right" after the light turns green, especially now that I have a little one in the car a lot.

That stretch on southbound Texas from 2818 to Hwy 6 is brutal. Even when people do realize they have their own lane they're trying to speed up and get to the left while Wal Mart traffic is trying to slow down and get to the right and people are trying to swoop the whole line at Deacon and sneak back in to get on 6.

It's like Fury Road on there.
doubledog
Look Out Below said:

10. People who drive at night with their headlights off (see it EVERY night...wtf?)
11. People driving across three lanes of traffic at Texas Ave and Park Place to enter the left turn lane at Texas and Holeman, just to make a U turn at Holeman and head north on Texas Ave.
12. Any U turn on Texas Avenue.
13. The light at Brothers Blvd. and Texas Avenue. It is never timed right and Traffic backs up on Texas Ave.
histag10
AG
GTdad said:

Heading east on University after work:

1) The folks who block traffic in the middle lane, trying to force their way at the last minute into the long line in the right lane to turn onto Hwy 6.

2) The folks on East University Drive who have no clue that the speed limit is 60, not 45.

People do this on 21 turning left onto 6 South. And I will straight up let you hit my car rather than let you in. I even see people get out of the left turn lane, and try to drive around most of it, and then get back in. Those are the worst...
FlyRod
Running red lights.
Tailgating (not the fun kind).
Careening across multiple lanes in a parking lot instead of following the traffic flow pattern (talking about you Wellborn Rd. HEB).
bobinator
AG
Wellborn H-E-B is bad but the Rock Prairie Kroger/UPS/etc is like The Purge.
bushytailed
AG
bobinator said:

Wellborn H-E-B is bad but the Rock Prairie Kroger/UPS/etc is like The Purge.

TBF, it's a horrible parking lot though. It's worse than the Kroger parking lot in Bryan.
rptsAg03
I have decided that the problem seems to be that we used to be taught to drive courteously, but now most people drive recklessly on the assumption that the courtesy of others will cover their rudeness. (pulling out anywhere when you don't have a window to come up to speed but trusting everyone will slam on their brakes for you like on welborn, or pulling out onto the feeder from tower point HEB)
ShinerBlonde
AG
People who u-turn across 3 lanes of traffic at Wellborn and Deacon to go to Dutch Bros and/or Dunkin.

People who stop turning right onto University from 6 feeder or right from University onto Texas when they have their own lane!

Drive thru lanes that back out onto major roads blocking a lane of traffic.
JP76
Rapier108 said:

I've seen more than one idiot driving west on university cross that so called protected solid white to rapidly turn right into Cheddars cutting the car turning right off the feeder
Post removed:
by user
Stupe
S
Look Out Below said:

That's not a B/CS thing. There is so much lighting on some roads that people don't realize that they don't have their lights on.

Most vehicles have auto-on lights so I don't see it as often as I used to.
dallasiteinsa02
Going northbound on Hwy 6 and then figuring out that only the left lane goes to Texas. They then try to jump across the left lane at 70 mph to make it usually with a car in the lane going straight.
BQ_90
AG
very minor, but it amazes me how people will line up to turn left off of Welborn to go to HEB on 2818, they will back up the turn lane all the way into the left lane on Welborn. Never understood why they just don't take 2818 east then enter HEB off of 2818
Post removed:
by user
BQ_90
AG
Quote:

3. People who exit Barron and try to turn on Graham (see above)
This is getting worse and worse. One of the things I hate about coming off from work in the evenings.

Esp those that not only floor it to get over, but then will squeeze between 2 vehicles to still make the turn.

That is one place they need to curb and put up barriers to keep you from doing that. It's not taking anymore time to exit RP and go thru the light.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
bobinator
AG
I've been trying to figure out some of the "no right on red" turns. The University ones make some sense because of the large number of pedestrians but there's also one on North and S. College?
D_Wag97
AG
EVERY on-ramp to Hwy 6 where drivers think it's the responsibility of existing drivers on the highway to get over in the next lane and let them on the highway without even slowing down or looking. It's up to you to merge into traffic.
theNetSmith
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

6. People who try to enter the freeway from the right lane from Texas Ave. at Deacon. Saw a doozy wreck here.
6a. those in the inner left turn lane at eb Rock Prairie and 6 who take a wide turn into the outer left turn lane in order to turn into Luigi's/Starbucks parking lot.
6b. those in the inner left turn lane at sb 6 feeder and Fitch who take a wide turn into the outer left turn lane.. OR.. those in the outer left turn lane turning into the inner left turn lane.

clueless
Post removed:
by user
bobinator
AG
To get philosophical for a minute, and this isn't exclusive to Aggieland, nor to driving really, but overall it's just a lot of people's general sense that the world around them will accommodate their dumbass decisions.

All you need as proof that any sort of idyllic utopian system of government could never work is just to drive somewhere for a few hours.

So many people in the world literally don't have a **** about how their actions impact other people.
Kbeauty63
AG
I agree 1000% with this - HOWEVER when you're TRYING to merge at speed - and they either slow down or speed up - and you have NO WHERE to go!
Karen Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional - and I opt NOT to grow up!
Donny Hall
i want to complain!

14. People that are weaving through traffic and speed past you to a red light.

15. Cars with crappy engines but loud exhaust.

16. Yee yee kids rolling coal onto people

17. drivers complaining about drivers on message boards while in traffic
Stupe
S
Donny Hall said:

i want to complain!

14. People that are weaving through traffic and speed past you to a red light.

15. Cars with crappy engines but loud exhaust.

16. Yee yee kids rolling coal onto people

17. drivers complaining about drivers on message boards while in traffic
Stop driving so slow and we won't get caught at the red lights.
91_Aggie
AG
D_Wag97 said:

EVERY on-ramp to Hwy 6 where drivers think it's the responsibility of existing drivers on the highway to get over in the next lane and let them on the highway without even slowing down or looking. It's up to you to merge into traffic.

Both sides need to be accommodating as much as they can to merge. If you are on the highway and you see a long line of cars trying to enter highway and you actively do your darndest to not change your speed to allow a merge, then you are also not helping. (This assumes normal traffic flow and not backed up for accident).

Too many drivers trying to "be right" and "I'll teach them a lesson" as opposed to "this only impacts me minimally to move over or slow down slightly. It does not make me a lesser person to show kindness/grace in this situation"

Think of this way: if you were trying to enter would you expect to have to come to a complete stop because some ahole on the highway was exerting their "hey, I am in the right and you just have to deal with it"?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.