Worst Aggieland Traffic Habits, IMHO...

5,409 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by theNetSmith
Post removed:
by user
IWannaGoFast1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rapier108 said:

Right turn off the Highway 6 feeder road onto University Drive West.

Protected right and people still sit there and wait forever.

I disagree with this one. Too many people coming across the overpass try to turn right immediately and don't yield to the protected lane.
birdman
Running red lights should be #1 on the list. Most of the things listed are inconveniences.
Post removed:
by user
D_Wag97
AG
Spoony Love
AG
I understand this scenario is well out of town, but there is a strange phenomenon that happens on 21 east to Madisonville. When it reduces from 4 divided lanes to two undivided lanes at the Nav River, everyone loses their speed. Granted there is a slight uphill once the lanes reduce, but for heaven's sake, they don't regain the speed limit for the next few miles.

Meanwhile, cars are stacked deep because they don't speed up over 60 again. I hope they feel stupid when they get to NZ and see the 60mph speed limit sign.
BluHorseShu
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

Since COVID-19 has kept me mostly at home during the past year and a half, I had a lot of opportunity to drive the local highways and byways while doing all the errands the wife used to do before "these uncertain times". During this time, I came up with a few observations about traffic -

1. People who enter the freeway (Hwy 6) doing 40-45 MPH. Frustrating and dangerous.
2. People who take the turnaround at Fitch and want to go to Chick-fil-a.. (saw many near misses)
3. People who exit Barron and try to turn on Graham (see above)
4. People who slow down to 45-50 upon hitting the Barron overpass, to exit Fitch.
5. People who are turning from University onto Texas, and stop to do so.. (you have a lane)
6. People who try to enter the freeway from the right lane from Texas Ave. at Deacon. Saw a doozy wreck here.
7. People who don't yield taking a left off Rock Prairie West, causing issues with folks going straight... Saw a doozy wreck here as well.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I had at the top of my head.

So I have two peeves. People on their phone who miss the light turning greenand converselythose who stand on their horn the millisecond it turns green. A simple, quick, light bump of the horn suffices. The longer they stand on the horn, the longer I don't move
JP76
I thought they took the one on North away ?
histag10
AG
91_Aggie said:

D_Wag97 said:

EVERY on-ramp to Hwy 6 where drivers think it's the responsibility of existing drivers on the highway to get over in the next lane and let them on the highway without even slowing down or looking. It's up to you to merge into traffic.

Both sides need to be accommodating as much as they can to merge. If you are on the highway and you see a long line of cars trying to enter highway and you actively do your darndest to not change your speed to allow a merge, then you are also not helping. (This assumes normal traffic flow and not backed up for accident).

Too many drivers trying to "be right" and "I'll teach them a lesson" as opposed to "this only impacts me minimally to move over or slow down slightly. It does not make me a lesser person to show kindness/grace in this situation"

Think of this way: if you were trying to enter would you expect to have to come to a complete stop because some ahole on the highway was exerting their "hey, I am in the right and you just have to deal with it"?

Why would you have to come to a complete stop? Sounds like you dont know how to drive. If you see someone in the right lane as you are entering the highway, either speed up or slow down to merge. There is no need to come to a complete stop. If you have to come to a complete stop because you dont know how to merge, stay on the feeder road.
Smeghead4761
histag10 said:

GTdad said:

Heading east on University after work:

1) The folks who block traffic in the middle lane, trying to force their way at the last minute into the long line in the right lane to turn onto Hwy 6.

2) The folks on East University Drive who have no clue that the speed limit is 60, not 45.

People do this on 21 turning left onto 6 South. And I will straight up let you hit my car rather than let you in. I even see people get out of the left turn lane, and try to drive around most of it, and then get back in. Those are the worst...

People do this all the time at Briarcrest and 6, too - both directions. Mornings and evenings the turn lanes back up pretty good, and jackwards are too impatient to wait in line.
legalbird
park in middle of road and look at phone
histag10
AG
legalbird said:

People do this all the time on Dick Elliott. They pull off of OSR and literally put their vehicle in park in the middle of Dick Elliott. I mean, I get that it appears to be a small road, but it is actually heavily trafficked, and me having to sit behind your parked ass while OF traffic goes by is a jackass move. I just want to get home...
theNetSmith
AG

Quote:

those who stand on their horn the millisecond it turns green. A simple, quick, light bump of the horn suffices. The longer they stand on the horn, the longer I don't move
next time, I'm just going to push you through the intersection
BluHorseShu
AG
theNetSmith said:

Quote:

those who stand on their horn the millisecond it turns green. A simple, quick, light bump of the horn suffices. The longer they stand on the horn, the longer I don't move
next time, I'm just going to push you through the intersection
I'm sure that will work out well for you. Another option would be not to stand on the horn. I was being facetious to make the point about people who are quick to rage. Thanks
BQ_90
AG
legalbird said:

do a full, complete, 3 point turn, in the middle of Welborn, in 5 o'clock traffic, while looking at your phone.

crazy thing is it didn't even shock me.
FlyRod
Since no one mentioned it, people with their heads buried in their phones not noticing the light turning green.
theNetSmith
AG
I used to be that guy, but I've grown to appreciate not getting stressed out by the actions of others on the road. I also truly enjoy driving, and taking my time allows me to stretch that out. That I drive a vehicle I love helps considerably.
Bob2525
18. Don't forget driving through thick fog with no lights on. Daytime running lights don't help the semi coming up behind you.
19. Texas and 2818. If everyone began moving when the light turns green, more than 5 cars can make it through!
TAMC11
AG
Turning left (southbound) onto Arrington from Fitch (westbound). Red light always gets backed up and people try to weasel their way in at the last second. Like someone else said, I would let them hit me before I let them in.
Uncle Bug
AG
D_Wag97 said:

EVERY on-ramp to Hwy 6 where drivers think it's the responsibility of existing drivers on the highway to get over in the next lane and let them on the highway without even slowing down or looking. It's up to you to merge into traffic.
I have lived all over the country and have never run into this as bad as it is here. I'm not talking lots of traffic either. If I am on 6 in right lane with cruse control set at speed limit and someone is passing me on the left, I do not adjust speed for the merging dude on the on ramp. It's an acceleration on ramp man - figure it out. Do some relative motion math stuff or whatever you need. I swear this was in driver's ed and on the driving test back when. I see it just about EVERY dang day here.

I had a ding dong get road rage because I didn't yield to his rollin coal mobile while I was getting passed on the left. Got up in front and then slammed brakes on, then came along side for some old-timey gesture exchange.
Bob2525
Hear/say, but I've been told circle ramps (toilet bowl exits) are coming along Hwy6. I dislike circle ramps, but anything has got to be better than their latest science experiment they have for merging on and off the freeway.
localag88
Not really an annoyance but amusing nevertheless....

People headed south on 2818 just past University and sitting in the turn lane totally confused because there's not a southbound entrance to the offramp there anymore, and I'm guessing their un-updated guidance systems are telling it's right there, but it no longer is. Not a week goes by that I don't see someone just sitting there trying to figure out where the turn is.

And I'm sorry, but when you're first in line at a red light, you have a social contract responsibility to PUT YOUR DAMN PHONE DOWN AND BE READY TO GO
Tumble Weed
How did we get this deep in the conversation and nobody talks about the random unsecured mattress flying out of the truck in front of you?

Post removed:
by user
theNetSmith
AG
Tumble Weed said:

How did we get this deep in the conversation and nobody talks about the random unsecured mattress flying out of the truck in front of you?
maybe the percentage of people who both (a) regularly read/post to the Aggieland forum and (b) survive an encounter with a random unsecured mattress flying out of the truck in front of them is too near zero.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.