Midtown Water Tower

16,252 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bullpen Chias
wareagle044
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What's the final product supposed to look like? What's with the bowl shape ?
nought
AG
I believe that's the bottom of the tank that will be on top. They are building it on the bottom and will raise it later.

The Infomaniacs on WTAW called it the "collar of shame" the other day. I just about spit out my coffee in the truck!
Post removed:
by user
Rapier108
wareagle044 said:

What's the final product supposed to look like? What's with the bowl shape ?
IIRC, they said it is supposed to be similar to the one at Holleman & Texas.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
TexAg1987
AggiePhil
AG
Progress hasn't stalled at all. I see them working on it every day.
BQ_90
AG
Hey when you live in the Aggiedome you gotta build big funnels to catch the water
wareagle044
TexAg1987 said:

Learn something new every day.
happyinBCS
Looks like they are waiting on the painters the build crew has been gone for about a week
meezermom
What are the odds we can get them to paint it to look like the sky so it blends in a bit, kind of like the ones in Katy?! Or maybe we could have some kind of contest to come up with an interesting paint job.
waterchick
I'll pass that along meezermom! That ship may have sailed, though.

Edit: here is a link to a short, informative video about water towers. https://vimeopro.com/texasawwa/watergeek/video/260155331
happyinBCS
back in the day when the dirty sock was thriving just think what they could have painted on it
Tim Weaver
Looks like Bezos' rocket upside down.
war hymn aggie
AG
I am beginning to feel that it's just gonna be an above the ground "stock pond" that only collects the rain water that seeps in from the Aggie Dome.
happyinBCS
So where are the painters ? I assume you are in the know
meezermom
waterchick said:

I'll pass that along meezermom! That ship may have sailed, though.

Edit: here is a link to a short, informative video about water towers. https://vimeopro.com/texasawwa/watergeek/video/260155331
Thanks, Waterchick - considering the fact that my pool deck has a beautiful view of the thing, I'd love for it to be as ... pretty ... as possible!
waterchick
I'm not entirely in the know so I don't have exact details on schedule. Somewhat delayed due to rain this summer (though the spigot seems to have turned off...) but painting soon.

Meezermom - perhaps you could host a watch party when the bowl is being raised. I'm told it takes a LONG time for the bowl-raising to be complete which is why the time-lapse videos are popular.

I don't remember this much interest when the Park Place tower went up, but then again social media didn't exist and that one is sort of tucked away vs. being on a major highway.
taxpreparer
AG
A&M painted their tower off University sky blue and I always thought cloud Grey would have been a better camouflage.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Vulcan
Wonder if it will have a Cougar paw for CSHS? Tower by Holleman has a tiger paw
curry97
AG
Since it is on the East side of 6, it will have to be a Tiger paw. Lol
Smeghead4761
If you're not someone who studies big cats for a living, can you even tell a cougar paw from a tiger paw (or in this case, a super scaled up house cat paw)?

The Cougar paw would be on the Tower Point, uh, tower, most appropriately.
chickencoupe16
AG
Langenator said:

If you're not someone who studies big cats for a living, can you even tell a cougar paw from a tiger paw (or in this case, a super scaled up house cat paw)?

The Cougar paw would be on the Tower Point, uh, tower, most appropriately.

Tigers are maroon and cougars are purple. Duh.
wareagle044
Vulcan said:

Wonder if it will have a Cougar paw for CSHS? Tower by Holleman has a tiger paw

I wonder why the one in Tower Point doesnt have a cougar paw....how long before they build a high school on the east side of the bypass? Or will be see one in Wellborn before that? Pebble Creek to Consol is probably not a fun commute.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Should be a Tiger Paw, it's EAST SIDE yo. Plus we run this town anyway, wink.
techno-ag
AG
curry97 said:

Since it is on the East side of 6, it will have to be a Tiger paw. Lol
Until the next school zone change.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Vulcan
Would also need to add a Timberwolf paw for College View HS
waterchick
Funny story...when AMCHS was changing its logo to the tiger head I seem to recall discussions of changing the paw to the tiger head the next time the tower was repainted (maybe it was both towers, I'm drawing on memories from well over 10 years ago). When the details of the tiger head (whiskers, fur, contrasting colors, etc.) and the amount of time it would take to get it looking right were considered, it was decided that the paw would work just fine after all.

If we keep paws on the water towers then continuing generations of kids can excitedly point out "it's a clue! it's a clue!"
waterchick
Great question. The one in Tower Point doesn't have a cougar paw because it predates College Station High School by a long time. Water Services identifies it as "Greens Prairie Elevated Storage Tank" because "back in the day" that stretch of road was called Greens Prairie before it was renamed to William D. Fitch Parkway.

Another trivia point: the "bowl" portion at the top of that tower holds two million gallons of water when full. There isn't any water in the column portion. The bowl of the Park Place tower (behind the Texas Avenue HEB) holds three million gallons when full.
91_Aggie
AG
waterchick said:

Funny story...when AMCHS was changing its logo to the tiger head I seem to recall discussions of changing the paw to the tiger head the next time the tower was repainted (maybe it was both towers, I'm drawing on memories from well over 10 years ago). When the details of the tiger head (whiskers, fur, contrasting colors, etc.) and the amount of time it would take to get it looking right were considered, it was decided that the paw would work just fine after all.

If we keep paws on the water towers then continuing generations of kids can excitedly point out "it's a clue! it's a clue!"
Is blue's clues even still on TV?
it was in its heyday when my kids were the age it targeted. But today's kids may not know what it is.
aggiepaintrain
AG
We used to call it the "Clue tower" when my son was little. It was/is blue
Tailgate88
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

We used to call it the "Clue tower" when my son was little. It was/is blue

YES! Whenever we drove down Texas my daughter would say "Daddy - a clue a clue!"
trouble
AG
I think it's Blue's Room now
AggiePhil
AG
How many gallons will this one hold?
waterchick
Great question! 3 million gallons.

https://blog.cstx.gov/2020/12/09/whats-the-tall-candy-cane-thing-on-highway-6/
happyinBCS
I remember well when the first one was built, I am always happy to see continued growth, maybe you could paint my call sign on it happyinbcs
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.