Anyone ever go to Waco, Temple, or Killeen to buy anything?

2,623 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
75AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I despise that the FCC has lumped us into that TV market. I can be in Houston in less time than Waco, yet with DirecTV I have to watch those crappy Waco ads.
Belton Ag
AG
I miss the old TV ads for The Parrot in Gatesville. It was literally a 2 1/2 hour drive to get there when those ads were on TV.
Stupe
S
All that you have to do is make your service address someplace in the Houston area.
75AG
AG
Stupe said:

All that you have to do is make your service address someplace in the Houston area.
I did that 4 years ago. But had to have service a few months ago. Had to switch back to this address very quickly. Just a major PITA.
Post removed:
by user
CS78
When did my elderly father join texags?
LOYAL AG
AG
I bought a bicycle in Waco in February but that was because the next closest version of that bike was in North Carolina. Does that count?
scd88
AG
I don't watch live TV with commercials anymore. Football season is near, though so I'll have to deal with that at that time. Oof.
Bucketrunner
Best part of moving to Grimes County. Houston is local TV on Dish, and we use an OTA to get KBTX and local news. Best of both worlds.

I wouldn't buy anything in Waco.
LOYAL AG
AG
Bucketrunner said:

Best part of moving to Grimes County. Houston is local TV on Dish, and we use an OTA to get KBTX and local news. Best of both worlds.

You would if you wanted a specific bicycle and the closest one in your size was in Waco with the next closest being in North Carolina.
cavscout96
AG
Bucketrunner said:

which OTA and where in Grimes?

looking at similar in Eastern Washington Co.
ClintW
I despise being stuck in the waco media market too. From my house in College Station, I can be in the Houston suburbs in 50 minutes (soon to be 45 minutes when the final section of 249 is completed). Do you know where I would be if I drive north for 50 minutes..... Neither do I, because it's the middle of freaking nowhere on the way to waco, which I avoid like the plague.

A few years ago, I asked a manager with a local TV station when Bryan/College Station would be its own media market (DMA) and was told "never gonna happen". The local TV stations (none are locally owned) are happy with the current setup. He explained that when you add College Station, they get to claim that waco is a top 100 market and top 100 markets get more national advertising dollars. With that logic, they should merge the Austin (market #38) and San Antonio (#31) DMAs to create a top 20 market. While I'm sure that the average Austinite spends more time in San Antonio than I spend in waco, I don't think they would be pleased being stuck in the San Antonio market just so San Antonio TV stations can generate more ad revenue.

Nielsen and the FCC need to fix this. I would take the 7 counties that make up the BVCoG and create a Brazos Valley DMA. We would have a greater population than 60 or so existing DMAs including such places as Victoria (#204) and San Angelo (#197).

75AG
AG
I agree. It's a game that needs to be fixed by by the FCC and/or Congress. But like you said, the owners don't care. So likely nothing will change.
ClintW
The map of DMAs is created by the Nielsen Company. The FCC uses that DMA map to define local television markets and it is not just TV advertising that uses the DMA map. Google desktop search uses it too, as does the desktop version of Open Table (that's just 2 examples, I'm sure the list is much longer). Mobile apps that use GPS data instead do a better job of giving results based on your actual location.

jello123
I called DISH and told them I am now residing in my travel trailer in a RV park in Tomball, they did ask for an address (which I googled RV park, Tomball). They switched my locals to Houston. I still receive KBTX via my outside antenna.
Post removed:
by user
Bucketrunner
When we moved in the house, Dish installed a wire and this flat plastic antenna that looks like a mouse pad. $99 one time expense.
75AG
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

jello123 said:

I called DISH and told them I am now residing in my travel trailer in a RV park in Tomball, they did ask for an address (which I googled RV park, Tomball). They switched my locals to Houston. I still receive KBTX via my outside antenna.

We did the same. Told directTV we lived at my father in laws business in Brenham.
I had my now-deceased stepfather's house in Huntsville as my service address for 4 years. Then the day came I really needed service from DTV and had to quickly change my service address back to CS. Otherwise they would have shown up and he wouldn't know WTF they were talking about.
Stupe
S
Learned that the hard way when we still had Direct.

They DID show up at the wrong house.
75AG
Harbor Bay
Give them a Navasota address and you will get the Houston AND Temple-Waco channels
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.