What's This All About?

5,414 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by southerner
duffelpud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://wtaw.com/a-college-station-city-council-member-asks-the-city-attorney-to-research-standards-of-conduct-by-council-appointees/
"What's this button do?"
BCSWguru
someone's feelings probably got hurt
cajunken
Dissention will not be tolerated.
EliteElectric
CS "leadership" is such a dumpster fire right now it would be funny if it didn't directly affect us. Instead it's just shameful and pitiful.
Post removed:
by user
Stupe
S
Where are you getting that it's about social media posts?
EliteElectric
You Talking about these social media experts?

happyinBCS
halibut sinclair
[The duration of your bans about going to double each time. - Staff]
VetSurg
AG
Stupe said:

Where are you getting that it's about social media posts?
Harvell said her question to the city attorney "was are there guidelines for those who are appointed to serve on committees to be respectful while they're representing the city. The people who have asked me have seen various comments on social media and that's pretty much how this entire thought process got started."
southerner
AG
There was an op-ed in The Eagle a week or two ago opposing the council's desire to move elections to odd numbered years, when turnout is significantly lower. The piece was written by a Planning & Zoning Commissioner. My guess is that Council-member Harvell took offense to the column as she seems to take offense often.

The bigger issue to me is the fact that Council is moving forward with several charter amendments that will decrease voter turnout and make it harder for business people to run for council.
Stupe
S
So it was about members criticizing the city council? I was reading that as they should represent themselves in a certain way when posting on social media.
trouble
AG
Stupe said:

So it was about members criticizing the city council? I was reading that as they should represent themselves in a certain way when posting on social media.

That's how I read it as well.
Post removed:
by user
momlaw
AG
Sounds like some Council members and the city attorney are unaware of First Amendment Rights.

Our little flea circus makes it difficult to make fun of certain other power tripping city councils.

------------
Edited 2nd time to add:
I am forcing myself to listen to the recording for primary source confirmation.
My understanding from a few individuals who were at the Council Meeting was that both social media and an op-ed in The Eagle were Ms. Harvell's sources of ire and desire to silence.
As told to me, a community leader was singled out to be chastised who in fact had not made any public statements on the matter.
Will report back after the torture sessions, I mean due diligence.
momlaw
hopeandrealchange
Ms. Harvell must not understand that respect must be earned.
Post removed:
by user
momlaw
AG
Because the Council member in question's remarks were primarily related to the discussion about the Charter Amendment to move CoCS elections exclusively to odd years, that is the portion to which I listened. This is a topic best served by a separate thread.

CoCS 7.8.21 Council meeting, approximately 1:02 through 1:45 - then 2:03:30 when when noted Council member spoke again prior to adjournment, as in OP's link.

During this discussion there was no direct reference to social media remarks. She may have in the first hour of the meeting, please spare me.

This member did name a Republican community leader as having made a statement regarding odd and even year voting and chastised his having and sharing an opinion. I know this individual and am familiar with his non-involvement with this CS issue. He did not make any related public statement. Full disclosure, I have made such statements over the years on multiple venues and will continue to do so each time the topic is dragged to the forefront.

Just prior to adjournment this member asked that the next meeting's agenda include appropriate ethics code verbiage to keep appointees from criticizing the city council or staff or to make appointees be positive. Thus many of the prior comments were on the mark or close.

As noted by a poster above, on that day The Eagle published an op-ed regarding the Charter Amendment by a member of CS Planning and Zoning Commission. Several people close to the matter suspect he was her target due to proximate time and being easily identifiable.

It will be interesting to see if CS staff has a better understanding of the First Amendment than this council member. Surely some will realize it is disparate thought, opinion, and input that helps us craft stronger solutions.
momlaw
dallasiteinsa02
southerner said:

There was an op-ed in The Eagle a week or two ago opposing the council's desire to move elections to even numbered years, when turnout is significantly lower. The piece was written by a Planning & Zoning Commissioner. My guess is that Council-member Harvell took offense to the column as she seems to take offense often.

The bigger issue to me is the fact that Council is moving forward with several charter amendments that will decrease voter turnout and make it harder for business people to run for council.
They also don't want it while students are on campus.
momlaw
AG
One of the re-tread Council members speaks at 1:43:22.
The opinions expressed about citizens participating in elections are crystal clear.
That place will be on the ballot this fall.
momlaw
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Would the person who called our Councilperson Linda Harvell a name, please apologize?
hopeandrealchange
Joe Schillaci 48 said:

Would the person who called our Councilperson Linda Harvell a name, please apologize?

I would love to see more of our citizens calling out our officials.
bloom
New York Times vs. Sullivan

Citing an earlier court opinion Justice William Brennan Jr. said "that public discussion is a political duty, and that this should be a fundamental principle of the American government."[16] Such discussion, he added, must be "uninhibited, robust, and wide-open," and "may well include vehement, caustic, and sometimes unpleasantly sharp attacks on government and public officials."[16]
hopeandrealchange
bloom said:

New York Times vs. Sullivan

Citing an earlier court opinion Justice William Brennan Jr. said "that public discussion is a political duty, and that this should be a fundamental principle of the American government."[16] Such discussion, he added, must be "uninhibited, robust, and wide-open," and "may well include vehement, caustic, and sometimes unpleasantly sharp attacks on government and public officials."[16]

Hear Hear.
OceanStateAg
AG
The budget hearings are downright painful to listen to the members ask questions of city staff.

At one point yesterday, while discussing the budget for cost of living adjustments and merit raises, Councilman Crompton asked, with a straight face, why everyone doesn't get the same increase, as that would make it easier, and something along the lines of, spare anyone hurt feelings. Why do these folks keep getting elected?

Should be interesting this afternoon.
oklaunion
OceanStateAg said:

The budget hearings are downright painful to listen to the members ask questions of city staff.

At one point yesterday, while discussing the budget for cost of living adjustments and merit raises, Councilman Crompton asked, with a straight face, why everyone doesn't get the same increase, as that would make it easier, and something along the lines of, spare anyone hurt feelings. Why do these folks keep getting elected?

Should be interesting this afternoon.
Regarding this comment: true story.
When the council was discussing annexing Wellborn and Nancy went on her diatribe day after day about how Wellborn was the gateway to this community and CS couldn't tolerate allowing us (Wellbornites) to be as trashy as we are and giving visitors the impression the whole city was that way and that we needed to be whipped into shape by being annexed, I wrote the entire council individually with some questions about how coming under their rule would affect me.
Three council members answered me. Josh Fields called me and assured me he intended to vote against annexation.
The barista assured me she would check with the city manager as well as other staff and promised me she would get back with me the next day. Last I heard from her and she rolled off council and left town after she voted for annexation.
But the mayor's response was the best. She emailed us and said that all the questions I asked were "over her pay grade". She actually said that the city staff were the ones who wanted annexation and kept pushing for it. She was just their mouthpiece.
But to answer your question on 'why do these folks keep getting elected?', I have no idea.

Have you ever noticed if you are eastbound on 2818 and take the flyover onto Wellborn road that the exit is marked with an arrow indicating it is the exit for Millican? No mention of Wellborn or Wellborn road. Erased us.
FlyRod
Interesting how often the CS CC gets criticized here, and yet it's members regularly get re-elected.
duffelpud
AG
Interesting indeed. How many citizens are registered to vote? How many actually vote? How many of those voters does the majority of hive-minded council critters have to turn out every odd election day? Who are the major donors to those candidates?
"What's this button do?"
Smeghead4761
southerner said:

There was an op-ed in The Eagle a week or two ago opposing the council's desire to move elections to even numbered years, when turnout is significantly lower. The piece was written by a Planning & Zoning Commissioner. My guess is that Council-member Harvell took offense to the column as she seems to take offense often.

I'm confused by this statement. Historically, turnout is higher in the November elections in even numbered years, due to higher profile Congressional and state level races, and even more so in years divisible by 4, Presidential election years.

Living in the county outside of either city, I'll admit I don't pay a huge amount of attention to their municipal elections.
southerner
AG
oops. typo on my post. The elections in CS are currently in November of EVEN numbered years. Bryan also amended their charter to sync up the election calendar.

A majority of the CS Council is trying to move elections to ODD numbered years where there is much lower turnout.

They are also trying to prevent council members from voting on issues that affect their campaign contributors UNLESS the contributor supported more than 4 council members. SPOILER ALERT: CSAN supported more than 4 members of the current council.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.