People assaulting police officers

10,575 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by b0ridi
cslifer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It has been 2 days, how can anyone say the DA isn't doing anything? Also keep in mind his office will only deal with a couple of these folks. Most were arrested for ordinance violations which are handled in municipal court.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I read about this story on Facebook. Sedria Fielder committed a senseless and despicable attack that wounded a Bryan police officer, but even worse, the bystanders just laughed and kept encouraging it. This is the epitome of people showing extreme disregard for not only the police officers, but also towards humankind. I really hope Brazos County District attorney Jarvis Parsons pushes for the maximum sentence for all 10 individuals that were arrested.
michellecan
Parsons is a good Christian man. He will do what's right.
Wvpd0707
AG
Email sent to DA's office. Not sure if it will do any good but at least I expressed my concerns.
dallasiteinsa02
LSCSN said:

Lol, Parsons ain't doing squat.
Today is the first day that the courts are open since the arrests.
MaroonBloodedAg2010
dallasiteinsa02 said:

LSCSN said:

Lol, Parsons ain't doing squat.
Today is the first day that the courts are open since the arrests.

On top of that, it can take some time before the arrest report is fully reviewed and processed, then it gets sent to the prosecutor. Most likely the DAs office knows as much about the case as we do right now.
EliteElectric
michellecan said:

Jarvis is a good man and will take the appropriate action, I have full confidence in the man.
Donny Hall
I know and help a family in that area on Dale st and it's a block from some habitat homes I helped with in the past.

I strongly commend the officers for showing great restraint and bravery. So thankful for your service.

I think a lot of concern is tone deaf to some of the greater socio-economic challenges in that area. The majority of families and folks are good people trying to do a lot with very little. There are some bad eggs. From what I have seen there isn't some grand agenda of anti-police behavior. I think social media has a greater play into what causes this behavior, and how its rolled into that sentiment. It's bad decisions being made by people with nothing to lose. They don't have a future worth preserving with good decisions.

We have to condemn their actions but also show accountability as a community. We cant solve poverty or lack of opportunities, but you can make a difference in the lives of some.

Some days after school, I take my kids to pick up trash along city streets. When my six year old son asks "why do we have to pick up trash that isn't ours?" I tell him we do it because we love our neighbors, and it makes the neighborhood better.

We are good at saying "that's not my problem", we are good at saying "what can I do to help" we are bad at putting ourselves on the line to make a difference for others.

In my years of trying to make a difference with volunteering, fostering, mentoring, and financially supporting those in need - its been heart breaking. I fail 3/4 of the time trying to help a kid or family.

One of the most organic ways you can be involved to help this specific community is volunteer to become a BIG to help with mentorship. You can visit churches in that neighborhood and get an understanding of how to support good families that are making a difference. You can support Boys and Girls club. You can support our local law enforcement. You can support habitat to help buy land to give kids a home were they feel SAFE.

You can help with foster care or respite care, there are over 3,000 kids in need.

I'm open to any ideas of what more I can do to help.

I just wanted to leave you with this video I recorded of this hood a few years back: community: https://www.facebook.com/556752806/videos/10157734210912807/

Dont let the bad actions of a few let you give up on a community. There are some folks there making great strides for the future. Anways love all yall.
Muzzleblast
Nobody mentions that this this the result of a failed welfare state that began under Lyndon Johnson's Great Society.

We've subsidized illegitimacy and this is where it brings us.

Until we address the root cause nothing will change the trajectory of our society.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Donny Hall said:

I think a lot of concern is tone deaf
to some of the greater socio-economic challenges in that area. The majority of families and folks are good people trying to do a lot with very little. There are some bad eggs. From what I have seen there isn't some grand agenda of anti-police behavior. I think social media has a greater play into what causes this behavior, and how its rolled into that sentiment. It's bad decisions being made by people with nothing to lose. They don't have a future worth preserving with good decisions.

We have to condemn their actions but also show accountability as a community. We cant solve poverty or lack of opportunities, but you can make a difference in the lives of some.

Thanks, Donny. Great post and agree with most of it, and certainly appreciate your efforts to improve others' lives.

That said, all of the good eggs in the immediate surrounding area are the ones who need to step up and stand against the few bad eggs you referenced.

Outsiders of these communities are received at arms length and can't effect change like their own neighbors can. We all have to police our own and hold each other accountable to cultural and community standards to make any lasting difference.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
EliteElectric said:

michellecan said:

Jarvis is a good man and will take the appropriate action, I have full confidence in the man.
This.
EliteElectric
Donny Hall said:

I know and help a family in that area on Dale st and it's a block from some habitat homes I helped with in the past.

I strongly commend the officers for showing great restraint and bravery. So thankful for your service.

I think a lot of concern is tone deaf to some of the greater socio-economic challenges in that area.....***snip***

---Product of 1980's inner city Los Angeles here.

I agree with you for the most part, my Rotary Club (Aggieland) delivers Thanksgiving baskets in this area every year. There are a lot of good people and families just trying to make it there. I think if more people got involved and volunteered and/or supported charity and causes, not welfare but actually got out there and did it themselves, there would at least be a better understanding of how things are and how people get here. It's easier to solve problems when you better understand them, and, when the other side of the problem knows that you are trying to help.

Like you I fail the majority of the time, and it's heartbreaking. The other day I saw a young man I coached in football and tried to mentor 15 years ago on the front page of the paper. "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step", we should all be willing to take that step.

I also agree with Muzzleblast that subsidizing the destruction of the family unit has not been a good thing. I could sit and talk for hours about this because it is something I am passionate about. Everyone that knows me in this community knows I am always on board to help kids in need. They didn't ask for nor deserve this life.

If you're a Christian, try to act more Christ-like, if Jesus were here today he would probably be somewhere like MLK and Candy Hill trying to make a difference.

-AP-
dubi
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

Donny Hall said:

to some of the greater socio-economic challenges in that area. The majority of families and folks are good people trying to do a lot with very little. There are some bad eggs. From what I have seen there isn't some grand agenda of anti-police behavior. I think social media has a greater play into what causes this behavior, and how its rolled into that sentiment. It's bad decisions being made by people with nothing to lose. They don't have a future worth preserving with good decisions.

Thanks, Donny. Great post and agree with most of it, and certainly appreciate your efforts to improve others' lives.

That said, all of the good eggs in the immediate surrounding area are the ones who need to step up and stand against the few bad eggs you referenced.

Outsiders of these communities are received at arms length and can't effect change like their own neighbors can. We all have to police our own and hold each other accountable to cultural and community standards to make any lasting difference.

Policing our own is correct. If this was my street, I would have been out there trying to stop the behavior of those youngsters "who have nothing to lose". I might have failed, but I definitely would have tried.
MaroonBloodedAg2010
I think it's a complete failure on society when we commend police for allowing themselves to be assaulted, harassed, and humiliated. We need our police to display a show of force and start locking up every single person involved in these kinds of events to show that behaving like animals won't be tolerated. Sure, they arrested 10 people, but from the videos it looks like a whole lot more should have gone to jail.
isitjustme
AG
MaroonBloodedAg2010 said:

I think it's a complete failure on society when we commend police for allowing themselves to be assaulted, harassed, and humiliated. We need our police to display a show of force and start locking up every single person involved in these kinds of events to show that behaving like animals won't be tolerated. Sure, they arrested 10 people, but from the videos it looks like a whole lot more should have gone to jail.
I'm not commending our officers for allowing themselves to be assaulted. I'm commending them for not beating the crap out of the perps or busting a cap or 2 in them. Though that was likely justified, it would have made things much worse. Instead people saw them do another part of their job - they arrested 10 of the punks. Good job BPD.
TChaney
Lead story KBTX at 6 - starts at 20sec in.
https://www.vuit.com/publishers/36/kbtx-news-3/vod#vod:19351869

This is the live feed posted to facebook by the person interviewed.
end of video shows someone lighting a large mortar type firework right in the street by a police vehicle. 7min mark

https://www.facebook.com/walkie.parnell/videos/920622088669666

I was listening to the police scanner on Independence Day evening. I know police were dispatched on numerous fireworks calls. I wonder how many of those other calls involved fireworks being thrown at officers and other people.

There is a big difference playing "bottle rocket / roman candle wars" with willing participants and throwing a lit 3-4" aerial mortar at anyone in the area.

histag10
AG
Have yall seen the newest article with the resident saying the police handled it wrong and should have just let them have their fun, and why were they the only neighborhood targetted?!?!?

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/07/07/bryan-resident-says-police-response-fireworks-was-uncalled/
Broncos
Per the article on KBTX

"On July 4th, 2021, the Bryan Police Department received over 20 calls between 7:20 pm and 3:00 am in the area of East Martin Luther King Street and Military Drive regarding fireworks, gunfire, disturbances, criminal mischief, and threats. Many of these calls specifically stated that people were shooting fireworks at other people, vehicles passing by, and structures. While fireworks are illegal throughout the entire city, we did not receive any complaints about fireworks being shot at other people, or property, as we did in the area of East Martin Luther King Street. When the initial officers arrived in the area, they confirmed that fireworks were being shot at people, vehicles, and structures that created a dangerous situation and warranted a larger police response. While officers were investigating who was shooting the fireworks, the fireworks continued to be shot toward people, including the officers. Our response was based on complaints and calls to 911 from citizens who live in, or drove through, the area. It should be noted that the majority of the residents in the area were not engaged in the illegal use of fireworks.
The Bryan Police Department responded to over 120 other calls about fireworks in the city, all were handled without incident."
Chief Eric Buske
RGRAg1/75
AG
histag10 said:

Have yall seen the newest article with the resident saying the police handled it wrong and should have just let them have their fun, and why were they the only neighborhood targetted?!?!?

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/07/07/bryan-resident-says-police-response-fireworks-was-uncalled/

Selective publicity. KBTX (and most other media) are culpable. Why air THIS interview? Go get 5 others who condemn it and play all of those.

They wouldn't dare. Doesn't fit the narrative. Mostly garbage.
Rapier108
histag10 said:

No surprise that KBTX tries to stir the pot.

And of course there are people who see any action by the police to have some ulterior motive/agenda.
TAMU1990
AG
Just watched a KBTX report on this story and it's absolute BS. They interviewed a local woman who voiced fear about police - even though they responded to 911 calls about the disturbance and performed their jobs as required by law. I'm sorry, you don't have the right to shoot fireworks into a crowd and at police officers. These people must be lacking a few brain cells. It's not a racial issue.

KBTX is an embarrassment to the community. They DO NOT reflect the values of this community.
MaroonBloodedAg2010
Most of the Parnell family (person interviewed by fake news KBTX) all have lengthy criminal histories, so it's not surprising they don't like police. If you stop breaking the law, it's amazing how quick the police stop "harassing" you.
PS3D
dubi said:

RGRAg1/75 said:

Donny Hall said:

Policing our own is correct. If this was my street, I would have been out there trying to stop the behavior of those youngsters "who have nothing to lose". I might have failed, but I definitely would have tried.
Trying to de-escalate things through education and discussion, or going full Charles Bronson in the neighborhood?
dubi
AG
Quote:

Trying to de-escalate things through education and discussion, or going full Charles Bronson in the neighborhood
I'm pretty confident we are better armed and trained than our neighbors, so both options are open.
Corn Pop
histag10 said:

kbtx is such trash and rusty continues to be a hack "journalist", both the organization and that loser are bad reflections on the community. Don't break the law and you won't feel harassed.
scd88
AG
It's trash. What an unprofessional organization.
Rexter
Unsubstantiated rumor is [If proof of that rumor is provided we will let it be posted here but we are not going to allow unsubstantiated rumors to be posted on this forum. -Staff]
QuitTrippin
Careful let's not offend anyone
W
AG
folks need to stop using the word "few"

we are way beyond just a few bad apples.

the "few" have grown five-fold...ten-fold...twenty-fold in recent years
JP76
I'm really surprised no one on either end was hurt badly from the mortars that were being shot horizontal and thrown by hand. When you weaponize fireworks and attack others then you should have to answer for your actions.
Brandamne
It was mostly peaceful though.
dubi
AG
BrandonC said:

It was mostly peaceful though.
That is a Democrat term for violent.
Post removed:
by user
scd88
AG
What's the latest on this? Will the offenders be held accountable? If they are/were let off, time to raise our own hell. We will NOT become a banana republic.
b0ridi
Any update? Legalninja?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.