Bryan-College Station BBQ

22,414 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgsWin2011
mjschiller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are some excellent Bryan , College Station BBQ restaurants? Thanks
ChampsAg
Fargo

Lexington:
Snow's

Rockdale:
Brett's

Brenham:
LJ's
Truth
Broncos
The only excellent one in B/CS is 1775.
halibut sinclair
Fargo's ain't what it used to be.
We like Cooper's and All the King's Men.
Playtuagain
AG
1775 is always good.

All the King's Men can be good, but its pricey and I've had some mediocre brisket there before.

Fargo's is decent and the sides are great.

C&J's in Bryan is good. The one on Welborn is not. Can't speak to the one on East Harvey almost to 30.

Cooper's is a chain. It's okay, but not great. Rudy's is better in my opinion.

Martin's Place is good, and it's legit old, classic BBQ joint.

Snook BBQ company on 60 west of the TAMU Farm is great as well.

Unfortunately Good Bull closed down, not sure why. They had some of the best BBQ with decent consistency.
trouble
AG
Go to ATKM for sides and sandwiches. I've not been overly impressed with their meat.

1775 is amazing.

I still love Martin's and will all my life.

Fargo's is good, some days it's great.

C&J on Texas is consistently good. It's never going to knock your socks off. The greens are amazing.

I haven't eaten at the coopers here because their rub is entirely too salty for me. I don't want to have to have my meat dipped in sauce in order to tolerate it.

histag10
AG
Anyone tried Lamar & Niki's? They are supposed to be incredibly good. They were just listed as one of the top 100 places to eat in Texas by Yelp.

Coopers is probably my least favorite in BCS. The meat is dry, and the sauce is atrocious. It is closely followed by Boomtown BBQ
kddub
1775 is the only excellent joint around in my opinion. There are others that are really good, but not excellent.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
My fav in the area is Brett's Backyard in Rockdale. I have not been to Snow's in a long time so maybe they could be better but it would be hard. The thing I liked most about Snow's on previous trips was the moisture contained in their lean cuts of brisket. I'm not a fan of "fatty brisket" so making the lean side juicy and tender is what I look for.

NOTE: None of this may matter to your tastes and that is fine.
I despise the "what is the best ....." threads because the metrics people look for and weigh are all different. There is no one size fits all perfectly --- and that is Wonderful.
trouble
AG
I've never had their bbq but everything else there is amazing
histag10
AG
trouble said:

I've never had their bbq but everything else there is amazing

I have been meaning to try them, particularly their bbq. My husband hates trying bbq places though because he always ends up saying "I could have done better and saved us money"
halibut sinclair
What's tha Deal is very good - they are a food truck in North Bryan.

1775 may be orgasm inducing, but I don't like places that sell out at 11am and close. Buy some more stinking meat!
histag10
AG
halibut sinclair said:

1775 may be orgasm inducing, but I don't like places that sell out at 11am and close. Buy some more stinking meat!

Dont know if this is the reason (probably not), but there is a nationwide meat shortage
ChampsAg
Brad has consistently added since getting the new pit last year. I picked up an order this morning at 11:15 and they were already sold out of pulled pork

They sell out for a reason. Daniel Vaughn (BBQ snob on Twitter and works for Texas Monthly) said be careful being early to some bbq places because you are getting yesterday's leftovers. That doesn't happen when you sell out.

I like ATKM burnt ends but that's about it. And as stated they are expensive.

Never liked anything except the pork chop at Coopers. Only side I liked were the beans.

I'll go to C&J when I want a chopped brisket sandwich. I love their beans though.
MGAggie
If you are okay driving, Pinkerton's in Houston is an amazing choice!
Bunk Moreland
1775 is the best locally, no match.

Fargo's is great and convenient and awesome people.

The rest? a scattering of bad, to average, to pretty good depending on meat/item at each but nothing I'd go out of my way to tell people they had to go to.

Was at 1775 this past Saturday. Got there at 10:45, ate at 11:15...people who got there after opening all probably waited 45m-1h from back of line to eating food and from what we could tell nothing had run out.
letterman72
AG
1775 is the best BBQ in the area and maybe in the state. No bandwagon jumper here. Doesn't take any longer to "drive out to the river" than it does to Downtown Bryan.
Spyderman
AG
Dad and I did LJ's in Brenham last Sat. Fantastic brisket, potato salad and mac n cheese. EVERY bit as good as Snows and Truth.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
halibut sinclair
letterman72 said:

1775 is the best BBQ in the area and maybe in the state. No bandwagon jumper here. Doesn't take any longer to "drive out to the river" than it does to Downtown Bryan.

Depends on where you live, doesn't it. We're 5 minutes away from downtown.
Mathguy64
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Serious question- what EXACTLY is so great about 1775 other than the fact that everyone on here has decided it's the holy grail for some reason? Specifics please as to each type of meat and sides.

Prime brisket and they do a good job at it. Not everyone does. Is it Snows or Franklins? No. But it's easily the best in the area and on par with Louis Mueller or Killens.

Ribs are Duroc heritage ribs. It's a great meat. I think Fargos is a better rib but I think Alan has just about the best rib in the state. Or did before his last move.

Sausage was Ed's Meat Market I thought. Not sure now.

Portions are huge. If you order a half pound you will not get cheated. If a sammy is your thing you won't finish it.

Sides are solid Craft BBQ sides. If you are choosing a BBQ place based on sides you are doing it wrong.

They are the best in the city. Truth is better in Brenham and Brett's is pretty close to the same in Rockdale.

I've eaten at Snows, Franklins, Bodacious in Longview Killens in Pearland, Tejas chocolate in Tomball, corkscrew in Spring, Feige's in Houston, Brett's in Rockdale (left it out!), Putska's in Hutto and Louie Mueller in Taylor. 1775 isnt top 10 in the state but 11-25 is a decent spot for them. It's a 15 minute drive.
histag10
AG
halibut sinclair said:

letterman72 said:

Im north of Bryan. I pretty much have to drive through downtown to get to 1775
halibut sinclair
[We will ban you when you are not respectful on this forum and they are going to get longer each time. Thank you to the posters that used the voting function. -Staff]
halibut sinclair
histag10 said:

halibut sinclair said:

letterman72 said:

Im north of Bryan. I pretty much have to drive through downtown to get to 1775

And?
Mathguy64
AG
You asked for information on what they serve and why it's worth it. I told you and you get sarcastic and defensive. Nice.
jja79
AG
Don't go there for BBQ. Everything else is excellent.
jja79
AG
mjschiller said:

What are some excellent Bryan , College Station BBQ restaurants? Thanks

The original question was about excellent BBQ and 1775 is the only excellent BBQ. Given you original question this should have been a very short thread.
trouble
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Serious question- what EXACTLY is so great about 1775 other than the fact that everyone on here has decided it's the holy grail for some reason? Specifics please as to each type of meat and sides.

For me, it's the turkey. It's perfectly seasoned and moist.
mjschiller
AG
Thanks, everyone. My daughter and family are flying in from Utah and will spend 2 days in Bryan & College Station. I miss Texas BBQ. Fair BBQ in Utah.
milner79
mjschiller said:

Thanks, everyone. My daughter and family are flying in from Utah and will spend 2 days in Bryan & College Station. I miss Texas BBQ. Fair BBQ in Utah.
Any BBQ joints you would recommend (or avoid) in St. George, Hurricane or Springdale? Headed to the North Rim in a few weeks.
ChampsAg
Ribs are my fave. Turkey is great. Pulled pork and chicken superb

The sides are homemade and top it all off. And when Miss Belinda makes dessert it's even better
91_Aggie
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Hey, if the owner makes enough money to live comfortably and can be done working by 11am, that is a pretty good gig
La Fours
AG
I've eaten there but it wasn't bbq. I had pork steak with gravy, rice and green beans. It was delicious.
trouble
AG
They only have bbq on Friday and Saturday
Anubus
I understand why people would complain about The Republic using Choice steaks. I do not understand why people complain about cost of BBQ at 1775 that uses Prime Meat and Duroc Pork.
FlyRod
If we're going to get misty-eyed about reopenings, I'd say Randy Sims over Tom's, and it wouldn't even be close. Pops wasbad.

BBQ is by its nature inconsistent, so pinning down "best" is a matter of letting the subjective do a lot of heavy lifting. My own fave is Fargo's and in full disclosure I have yet to make it out to 1775.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.