Sick of Suddenlink

3,884 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Dad Jokes
MisterShipWreck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am so sick of Suddenlink. They do nothing but lie to customers. Make promises, and then stick it to ya in the end...

I moved at the end of April. I wanted to cancel my Suddenlink account because I was moving. I drove to the Suddenlink office and got there right when they opened (I took part of the morning off of work - in order to get this done). An employee was outside with a mask on. I was told to put the modem in the drop box outside. And, I'd have to call the toll free # to cancel. They do not do that at their office.

I was told I'd get an email by 4pm that day - verifying that the modem had been checked in as returned.

I figured I'd pay my bill online, which I did on my phone. And, then I called and cancelled. I cancelled my account that day at the end of April. But, there was like 22 or so days left in the billing cycle. The person who processed my cancelation told me that my billing cycle ended on the 19th. So, after 5-19, they'd prorate my bill, and refund me for the days after my cancellation... (since I paid the entire bill).

Well, I NEVER got my email about the modem return. I called the next day, and verified the modem had been checked in. And, I asked again about the refund, because I had a feeling it would not work out.

And, it didn't.

When I canceled and when called for the modem the very next day, I spoke with people who were actually in America. And, I was even told on that SECOND call that I'd get the refund in the mail...

My billing period ended on 5-19-21.

So, I called last week about my refund, as it had not arrived... This time, I got someone in another country - and they claimed that I was out of luck. They do not prorate bills, and I was basically stuck with paying the entire billing cycle.

I pointed out that TWO different employees told me differently. I asked to speak with a supervisor. I was told that the supervisor was on the other line, but they'd get back to me that day. And, I was told they would "escalate" things. They'd go back and listen to the taped recording from my 2 previous calls to verify what was said. If it was actually said, then there'd be a good chance the supervisor would give me the refund.

Guess what - NO call back. About 5 days later (THIS week), I called back. I got someone in another country again...

I gave a 20 second summary, and asked to speak with a supervisor immediately. Guy insisted he could help me himself. So, I spent 10 minutes talking to him. He then told me that I cancelled on the 19th of May. I had to explain that I actually cancelled in April. But, my billing cycle ended on 5-19-21. Apparently, they did not close things completely until 5-19-21. And, they would keep the entire payment.

I insisted to speak with a supervisor. I finally got one. We went back and forth for 10 more minutes... Now, 3 employees had lied to me... Two from when I cancelled my account, and then the 3rd one who told me that someone would go back and listen to the phone recordings. That supervisor told me it would not happen, and I was out of luck... Even though 3 employees lied to me....

That supervisor stated I would get no refund, and I was out of luck. I told them over and over that this wasn't right after what I was told.

But, too bad. She also refused to allow me to speak with her supervisor or anyone else on the matter.

That's just crappy. I KNEW I should have recorded the conversation myself....

NEVER will I use Suddenlink again.

I've seen similar stories about Comcast before. These companies just do not care about their customers...

EliteElectric
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Texags is just a support group for battered suddenlink customers. They suck and don't care that they suck. Come on in, sit down we're all in the same boat.
AFM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When I moved, I had to film myself dropping off the equipment (with the serial number shown) into the box outside of Suddenlink's office to protect myself. They also did not send me the $50 gift card for signing up as a new customer. I figured my time would worth more than $50 so I gave up trying.
iisanaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Start blasting them on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. My mom got a response and her problem fixed within 24 hours this way!

We got our issue fixed by Googling corporate employees and firing off emails to them. I don't think I will ever call their customer support anymore.
slider676
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fun fact. Not only will they not prorate your billing cycle.

They will also start a new customers billing cycle at the same address inside your window. Therefore double billing.

Very illegal with rent, but not sure for an ISP.

There are ways to **** them hard back, but you have to get battered enough to understand their ways.
b0ridi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
File an FCC complaint. Worked for me to get an actual resolution to a billing issue.
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I consider it a minor miracle that it only took them 8 days to fix my problem.
MisterShipWreck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
iisanaggie said:

Start blasting them on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. My mom got a response and her problem fixed within 24 hours this way!

We got our issue fixed by Googling corporate employees and firing off emails to them. I don't think I will ever call their customer support anymore.

Quote:

File an FCC complaint. Worked for me to get an actual resolution to a billing issue.

2 good ideas. I think I will do both. Thanks
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You are about 6 weeks early on expecting a refund but they will charge you for your equipment as I made the same mistake you did, after another hour on the phone they did finally take my word that I turned it in. Luckily I did turn in most of my equipment to the idiots inside the office and got a receipt. But my modem I just put in the drop box.

Once we have a viable alternative I am done with these guys.

I can't remember if they ended up prorating my bill, I wasn't calling them again.
MisterShipWreck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aggiepaintrain said:

You are about 6 weeks early on expecting a refund but they will charge you for your equipment as I made the same mistake you did,

Well, even in 6 weeks, there will be no refund. They made that clear.

Had they told me that they typically bill the entire cycle no matter what - I would have accepted that when I called to cancel. Sucks, but ok. But to have them lie multiple times, THAT is what bothers me. Then, later on - someone else claims that the employee made a mistake to tell me that...

I guess 3 separate employees made 3 separate mistake. And, they don't care enough to fix their mistake.

I will record any future calls with Suddenlink in the future.
Aggie_Boomin 21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yup sounds right, absolutely worthless company. Large ISPs in general are known for poor customer service and treatment, but Suddenlink is by far the worse I've seen, wasn't even competitive. With Xfinity (Comcast) now and have been pleased.
MisterShipWreck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No luck with Twitter and Facebook. Same guy on both. Just finished a Facebook chat for a while.

If they had just told me initially - we do not prorate. You pay for the entire cycle... Then fine. Sucks, but fine.

But 3 employees lie, and then nothing happened. Too bad.

I so wish I had recorded the call. In the future, I will start doing that with such company calls.

I have seen people posting calls with Comcast. The company gets so embarrassed that they eventually make it right.

The FCC complaint is my last option.
Esteban du Plantier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My bill this month was almost $130 for just internet 400.

What is everyone else paying Suddenlink for internet?
.
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
$90 top package
MisterShipWreck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
delete...
MisterShipWreck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seriously - I've spent several hours on this up to now. But, I have been polite, and it just isn't right. It is the principal of the thing. They can lie and screw you for just a few dollars. Even a store would fix this and make it right....
Gigem314
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

My bill this month was almost $130 for just internet 400.

What is everyone else paying Suddenlink for internet?
Up to $105 for the 200 package, which I'm questioning if I'm even getting that speed.

It's ridiculous.

I'll say that ours rarely goes out, but I provided my own modem. I refuse to take their equipment because I question the quality and I don't want to deal with the headache of returning it.

Complained last year to have my bill reduced a few bucks, but then they raised it even higher in January.

As Bryan gets online with the new high-speed option, I hope they eventually end up in College Station and we can at least have reasonable pricing.
MisterShipWreck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, they get away with it because they know you do not really have other options...
LOYAL AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sudden link doesn't have customers. They are a monopoly which basically makes users hostages. There's no need to be good without competition. No different than the drivers license office. You'd be better off mentally if you thought of them as a branch of government.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Texasyankee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AFM said:

When I moved, I had to film myself dropping off the equipment (with the serial number shown) into the box outside of Suddenlink's office to protect myself. They also did not send me the $50 gift card for signing up as a new customer. I figured my time would worth more than $50 so I gave up trying.


I also filmed myself dropping off equipment, AND, I had to send it to them to confirm drop off.

Pro tip: They can't argue when your video has the serial number etc. included in it.
Eliminatus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Welp, whisper the name Suddenlink and you get a price increase out of nowhere.

Been at $83 a month for 400mB for almost a year. Just got billed $102. No reason. Same service. They do it because they can. Just like my jump from $61 to $83. I need internet and they are the only solution of wired broadband. Therefore, I have to pay and **** me.

Auto sales and Internet ISPs. I don't understand these business models and frankly, I don't want to. I just want to see them burn in hellfire.
althormoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very curious to know how you're so sure the people you were talking to on the phone were in another country
MisterShipWreck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
althormoon said:

Very curious to know how you're so sure the people you were talking to on the phone were in another country
They had a hard time speaking English, and you could hear others in the background with the same accent.

And, both the person I reached, and the supervisor I was eventually transferred to had the same accent.
MaximusDMeridius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
so internet access in BCS sucks?
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MaximusDMeridius said:

so internet access in BCS sucks?
Climate change is natural.
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
althormoon said:

Very curious to know how you're so sure the people you were talking to on the phone were in another country
We know how outsourcing works.
We can recognize accents.
We weren't born yesterday.
MisterShipWreck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I filed the complaint with the government. I doubt I will be successful, but I have to try. It irritates me when a company is dishonest.
bearkitten
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We were having problems the other day with our service and they wanted to charge us $5.00 just to online chat with them. They are the worst.
dstarr6442
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just had to sign up for them and did all my research I could to try to find something else with enough speed or get a price locked in to no avail. Your 4 solutions are:
  • Do nothing and continue to get upped with each successive year.
  • Call and threaten to leave in order to negotiate to get them back down.
  • Quit every year, hope they don't screw up the quitting process like other posters have mentioned, and have your spouse or roommate sign up to get whatever their new deal is. Rotate yearly.
  • Get Trim, which is a service that negotiates your bills on your behalf. It cost's you 33% of what they save for you, but a lot of people find it worthwhile.
Other thoughts: buy your own router and modem. That's a chunk you nix from your bill every month, and it's truly far better equipment anyways than the crap that they give you.
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
We bought a Nighthawk router. What is a better modem than the Suddenlink modem that is compatible?
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
this one works great
deh40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MisterShipWreck said:

I am so sick of Suddenlink. They do nothing but lie to customers. Make promises, and then stick it to ya in the end...

I moved at the end of April. I wanted to cancel my Suddenlink account because I was moving. I drove to the Suddenlink office and got there right when they opened (I took part of the morning off of work - in order to get this done). An employee was outside with a mask on. I was told to put the modem in the drop box outside. And, I'd have to call the toll free # to cancel. They do not do that at their office.

I was told I'd get an email by 4pm that day - verifying that the modem had been checked in as returned.

I figured I'd pay my bill online, which I did on my phone. And, then I called and cancelled. I cancelled my account that day at the end of April. But, there was like 22 or so days left in the billing cycle. The person who processed my cancelation told me that my billing cycle ended on the 19th. So, after 5-19, they'd prorate my bill, and refund me for the days after my cancellation... (since I paid the entire bill).

Well, I NEVER got my email about the modem return. I called the next day, and verified the modem had been checked in. And, I asked again about the refund, because I had a feeling it would not work out.

And, it didn't.

When I canceled and when called for the modem the very next day, I spoke with people who were actually in America. And, I was even told on that SECOND call that I'd get the refund in the mail...

My billing period ended on 5-19-21.

So, I called last week about my refund, as it had not arrived... This time, I got someone in another country - and they claimed that I was out of luck. They do not prorate bills, and I was basically stuck with paying the entire billing cycle.

I pointed out that TWO different employees told me differently. I asked to speak with a supervisor. I was told that the supervisor was on the other line, but they'd get back to me that day. And, I was told they would "escalate" things. They'd go back and listen to the taped recording from my 2 previous calls to verify what was said. If it was actually said, then there'd be a good chance the supervisor would give me the refund.

Guess what - NO call back. About 5 days later (THIS week), I called back. I got someone in another country again...

I gave a 20 second summary, and asked to speak with a supervisor immediately. Guy insisted he could help me himself. So, I spent 10 minutes talking to him. He then told me that I cancelled on the 19th of May. I had to explain that I actually cancelled in April. But, my billing cycle ended on 5-19-21. Apparently, they did not close things completely until 5-19-21. And, they would keep the entire payment.

I insisted to speak with a supervisor. I finally got one. We went back and forth for 10 more minutes... Now, 3 employees had lied to me... Two from when I cancelled my account, and then the 3rd one who told me that someone would go back and listen to the phone recordings. That supervisor told me it would not happen, and I was out of luck... Even though 3 employees lied to me....

That supervisor stated I would get no refund, and I was out of luck. I told them over and over that this wasn't right after what I was told.

But, too bad. She also refused to allow me to speak with her supervisor or anyone else on the matter.

That's just crappy. I KNEW I should have recorded the conversation myself....

NEVER will I use Suddenlink again.

I've seen similar stories about Comcast before. These companies just do not care about their customers...


Going through similar stuff with Directv right now.
dstarr6442
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stupe said:

We bought a Nighthawk router. What is a better modem than the Suddenlink modem that is compatible?
If you want to future proof it a bit if you think you might upgrade to 1 GBPS speed at some point, get anything that runs DOCSIS 3.1; otherwise there a lot of them that run docsis 3.0. A good 3.0 will run you $75-$100 new. A refurbed 3.1 will be $120-$130, new $150-$160.
Esteban du Plantier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dstarr6442 said:

I just had to sign up for them and did all my research I could to try to find something else with enough speed or get a price locked in to no avail. Your 4 solutions are:
  • Do nothing and continue to get upped with each successive year.
  • Call and threaten to leave in order to negotiate to get them back down.
  • Quit every year, hope they don't screw up the quitting process like other posters have mentioned, and have your spouse or roommate sign up to get whatever their new deal is. Rotate yearly.
  • Get Trim, which is a service that negotiates your bills on your behalf. It cost's you 33% of what they save for you, but a lot of people find it worthwhile.
Other thoughts: buy your own router and modem. That's a chunk you nix from your bill every month, and it's truly far better equipment anyways than the crap that they give you.


I can threaten to drop cable, but they know there's no other option for internet. They have zero incentive to work with me on the pricing.
.
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Ok.

If I am reading that correctly, a 3.0 will not run at 1GPS?

If that is the case....I'll go with a 3.1.

This one is on sale at Best Buy for 149.00 (169.00)

Netgear 3.1
Page 1 of 2
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.