Local electrician to install Tesla wall charger

3,721 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CN
CN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The electricians Tesla recommend are not local but I've seen enough Teslas in the area where I'm sure some have used local electricians. Anybody have any experience getting a wall charger installed?
tfunk02
AG
It's a pretty basic thing for an electrician. Here's a video that shows how they install it.

I have had good luck with Elite Electric (they post here).
CN
I figured any electrician could do it but I wanted one with experience who could make suggestions on location and future expansion in case we want to add another one (or some other EV) later. My breaker box in the garage is full so they'd have to wire to the one outside and the best location for the charger is on the opposite wall of a fairly wide garage.
Donny Hall
Gen 3 Wall Connector costs $500, then you need 220 - so its similar to adding hot tub or wiring for heavy machinery

When I added a hot tub I had 80ft of wire, external wire and a new 220 breaker added and it cost around $1200 through daily electric

any electrician should be able to handle this
techno-ag
AG
This is something to consider for new construction as well. I had the builders put in an extra 220 in our garage just in case.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
75AG
AG
We used Elite Electric to install our RV plug. Really pleased and price was fair.
KidDoc
AG
I used Tommy with Aggieland Electric a bit over 5 years ago.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CN
Thanks everyone, I'll get a couple of quotes.
texasaggie04
AG
I can't remember who installed mine, it was a couple years ago. But it was real simple, they were done pretty quick.

Congrats, by the way. Best car you'll ever own.
CN
I called Dailey Electric and they were here the next day and gave me a quote shortly after their visit. I also setup an appointment for a quote with one of the electricians mentioned above and they never showed up. Spoke to their office and they said they'd look into it. That was hours ago.
CN
I got the wall connector installed by Dailey Electric. They were $500 below the other company I called, showed up on time and finished in 3 hours (indoor panel was full so they had to wire to outdoor panel). Would highly recommend.
tfunk02
AG
Good to hear. I went back through my records and found that Dailey was the one company that even answered the phone on 4th of July weekend 2019 when my main breaker broke. They were out within hours and had me back up that day. Nobody else even tried.
texasaggie04
AG
CN said:

I got the wall connector installed by Dailey Electric. They were $500 below the other company I called, showed up on time and finished in 3 hours (indoor panel was full so they had to wire to outdoor panel). Would highly recommend.

Sounds like you purchased the Wall Connector? Out of curiosity, any particular reason why? I just had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed and boom, done. I couldn't think of any advantages to also buying the Wall Connector.
SM
Recently purchased a Tesla and needed a wall charger installed. The electrical company we have used in the past told me that they were too busy doing "new construction" that they didn't perform any service work. Called another electrician that was recommended by a friend and they never returned my call. After reading these posts I called Dailey. They came out immediately and installed unit (had to rearrange a few other calls) so that I would have the charger by the time I took delivery of the vehicle. I had them out a second time to run an electrical line out to my greenhouse for the heater. Both times they were very responsive, polite and performed excellent work. They had great communications and I knew what to expect for each job. I now have a new "go to" electrician--highly recommend these folks.
CN
texasaggie04 said:

CN said:

Sounds like you purchased the Wall Connector? Out of curiosity, any particular reason why? I just had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed and boom, done. I couldn't think of any advantages to also buying the Wall Connector.
Sorry, never noticed your question. I got it because I wanted faster charging over the NEMA 14-50 outlet and the ability to share power if I ever have multiple Teslas and wall connectors. If I ever get a different EV, I could use an adapter and still charge with the Tesla wall connector. I know the difference in charging speed is small and is negligible when charging overnight but I also wanted something that looked nice.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.