Moving back to BCS from Overseas - Excited and Anxious at the same time...

1,585 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aggiegal99
jfsalazar@gmail.com
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ag's. Ag couple here - Me '97, Wife '98.

After 7 years living in the mountains of South America (Colombia to be specific), we are moving back to BCS as we believe it to be the best place for the next phase of our family. Older 2 kids will be going to Consolidated. Youngest will be in Middle School. We have invested in resent years in various parts of BCS, and would like to hear opinions/inputs/suggestions about any of the topics below:

1) Opinions about living in Traditions subdivision (long term)?

2) Opinions about living around Thomas park (long term)?

3) Any programs or groups recommended for teens outside of school district?

4) any contacts to cycling teams (My 16 year old is focused to be a professional rider)

5) Any groups to meet people in town?

Thanks in advance for the input. Open to listening any additional suggestions
Juan Felipe Salazar
BAMA '97
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Are you living in Traditions after your kids leave the CSISD system?
jfsalazar@gmail.com
AG
We have homes in both B and CS, so we decided to put them in CSISD as we always liked consolidated. Traditions we only have a lot for now, but plan to build when time is right (maybe 1-2 years)...or sooner if it makes sense
Juan Felipe Salazar
BAMA '97
bushytailed
AG
The Thomas Park area is mostly college students and there are A LOT of Ag Shacks.

For adult groups, do you and/or your wife run or cycle? I can give you info for local running groups and a tri group.

Also OP, not trying to tell you what to do but you might want to consider adjusting your username so that it isn't your email address.
VetSurg
AG
As you know, there aren't many places more beautiful than the mountains of Columbia, and that includes BCS.

BCS is a great place to raise a family. There are always things to do (sports, Opus, outdoor activities, Bush Library events, etc.). Generally speaking, it is very safe and people are friendly.

Big enough to have everything you need but not so big that you're overwhelmed. Our "horrible traffic" means it takes 15 minutes longer, not an hour.

Though I occasionally gripe about the students (traffic, crowded stores and restaurants), I miss them when they are gone for holidays or when semesters end. The students remain the lifeblood of BCS.

There is nowhere I'd rather be.
techno-ag
AG
Traditions is a great place to live. As a property owner, as you know, property taxes are killer. You're probably looking at least an additional $1000 on top of your mortgage payment there.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
gus1390
AG
as for groups to meet new people, I would suggest attending one of the many Chamber of Commerce "after hours" or deluxe ribbon cutting events.
befitter
Welcome back.

brazoscyclist.org
halibut sinclair
Church is always a good place for kids and adults to meet people and get involved.
Oogway
jfsalazar@gmail.com said:

Howdy Ag's. Ag couple here - Me '97, Wife '98.

After 7 years living in the mountains of South America (Colombia to be specific), we are moving back to BCS as we believe it to be the best place for the next phase of our family. Older 2 kids will be going to Consolidated. Youngest will be in Middle School. We have invested in resent years in various parts of BCS, and would like to hear opinions/inputs/suggestions about any of the topics below:

1) Opinions about living in Traditions subdivision (long term)?

2) Opinions about living around Thomas park (long term)?

3) Any programs or groups recommended for teens outside of school district?

4) any contacts to cycling teams (My 16 year old is focused to be a professional rider)

5) Any groups to meet people in town?

Thanks in advance for the input. Open to listening any additional suggestions
1. Traditions is nice. Amenities, etc. We decided to age in place where we are, but we were tempted for sure.

2. Thomas Park is also nice; albeit as others have noted--where you live makes a difference as there have been some tear downs that are rebuilt with students in mind. The pool was removed so we don't visit that neighborhood as often.

3. Programs for teens will depend upon their interests. Here are a few:
For sports, there are 'travel' teams for futbol, baseball, basketball. The local ice rink has both figure skating and hockey. The parks department has summer swim team, if they prefer year round there is the Aggie Swim Club. The various CC have tennis and golf among other things. I know one of my son's friends was in a cycling group, but I can't remember the name of it.

Non sports there are so many activities. The library has a program for youth, the George Bush Library has (or did) a docent program as well. There are gaming groups, coding groups, and other STEM activities--some of those are through clubs at school, others through A&M and aimed at high school. There are scouting activities, dance groups, art...I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a bit. Some of them take a little legwork but if you post on this forum or if you do social media and ask around, you can find most anything.

A lot of what our children did was through the schools. In addition to sports, there were/are a lot of club activities at Consol. They've done UIL academics, Skills USA, and other areas they found of interest.

COVID has changed things a little, but things are getting back to the usual for the most part. Whew!

4. See above. I'll try and remember to ask my son the name of the group for cycling. Consol has a Cross country team and they had a mountain biking club for awhile, but I don't know if they still do.

5. This varies a lot. We met people in our neighborhood, church, and schools as well as people with whom we worked and then shared interests. We didn't use the Chamber/business type groups so I can't speak to those. I met one of my best friends through a parks and rec activity that our sons were doing! They had just moved to town too so we commiserated on how much fun it is (not really) to move when it is 97 degrees and humid.

Lastly, welcome back! We live in a neighborhood a little south of 2818 and love living in the middle of town. Close to everything we need and then some.
cajunken
The Brazos Valley Mountain Bike Association is very active, with trails at Lake Bryan and in Millican. https://bvmba.net/
JeepWaveEarl
AG
This is silly but I would recommend changing your texags username. If the bots crawling the internet find it you're going to get spammed out the @ss.....

Welcome to BCS!
aggiegal99
Welcome home! There is a high school mountain bike team in College Station with riders coming from both schools (any kid 6th grade or older can join). They practice December-May and compete around the state. See texasmtb.org for league information, and click on "teams" to find contact info for our team.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.