Quick easy tax question

1,552 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by lockett93
java94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My special needs daughter, now 21, had a short part time job summer is 2019. I filed 2019 taxes for her. She did not have any income in 2020. Do I need to file a 2020 return for her?

Thanks!
MiMi
S
If she did not receive an income (or a W-2) in 2020, then she does not need to file a return. My 21-yr-old son is in the same situation. He has taught swim lessons every summer since he was 16, but last summer's program was canceled due to Covid. He is not filing a 2020 tax return.
java94
AG
That's how I understood it, thanks for confirming.
cavscout96
AG
Did they receive a stimulus? If no, a return is a place to follow up an request. If yes, moot, but it MIGHT affect the 2021 stimulus if they did NOT receive that one.

not advocating pro or con, just something to consider. We ran into this because me retired mother hasn't filed in several years, did not receive round 2, and was able to indicate such and receive it when she went ahead and filed 2020 taxes.
MiMi
S
My 21-yr-old son (college student) is not eligible for stimulus checks because he is still a dependent on my tax returns.
cavscout96
AG
I was under the impression that the last round, in '21, included dependents for exactly the type of scenario you described.

I'll have to look it up.
MiMi
S
Quote:

I was under the impression that the last round, in '21, included dependents for exactly the type of scenario you described.
I wasn't eligible for the 2nd or 3rd round of stimulus payments (income limits), which makes him ineligible.
cavscout96
AG
Ah...
lockett93
AG
MiMi said:

Quote:

I wasn't eligible for the 2nd or 3rd round of stimulus payments (income limits), which makes him ineligible.

If he's independent for 2021 he will be able to claim the $1400 at tax time next year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.