Free coronavirus/Covid vaccine antibody testing

4,544 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by happyinBCS
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
The Texas Coronavirus Antibody REsponse Survey (CARES)

I signed up for this study in February and had my first antibody test at that time. In February, they were only testing for natural immunity from a past infection. I was a couple weeks out from my first Moderna vaccine, never had Covid, and tested negative. I had my 3-month antibody test last week. The test now detects both natural immunity and immunity due to the vaccine. I got my result back in 19 hours and was happy to see a positive result. My next (and last) test is in 3 months.

It's easy to sign up. You can choose any CPL lab in the state (and do not need to choose a location when you sign up, just leave it blank). I went to the CPL lab in the medical office building next to The Med on Rock Prairie. No appointment or proof of health insurance needed. Just your diver's license. I was in and out in about 10 minutes. They didn't even want to see the text message I received with the test reference number.

Bunk Moreland
Thanks MiMi. Just signed up.
ratfacemcdougal
Just had first blood draw
happyinBCS
I think I signed up but it never asked for my e mail or phone number
MiMi
S
Quote:

I think I signed up but it never asked for my e mail or phone number
I just did a 'mock' sign-up and it asked for my cell phone, email, and address.

You may want to contact them and see if you are in their system: TexasCARES@uth.tmc.edu or 713-500-9441.
happyinBCS
Thank you I was able to get to the part where they asked for my contact information and will go by tomorrow to have my blood drawn and the way I understand it they will contact me in 3 months for another one and at the 6 month point they will take another blood draw Is this correct
MiMi
S
Quote:

they will contact me in 3 months for another one and at the 6 month point they will take another blood draw Is this correct
Yes, I received a text message for the 3-month test reminder. It had a link for me to complete another survey. As soon as I completed the survey, I received another text with the lab reference number for the blood draw. Very simple and straight-forward. And test results are sent back to you via text message the next day.
DisneyFan5
I signed up and just did my first draw. Hardest part was figuring out where to go because google maps left me hanging in the middle of Rock Prairie Rd.
MiMi
S
Quote:

Hardest part was figuring out where to go
Agreed. The medical building is a maze too. The trick is to know to go into the West entrance. After 2nd test, I learned there is a closer entrance to the lab that is to the right of the main West entrance. It has a long handicapped ramp and in front of a row of handicapped parking spots.
happyinBCS
Just had my first draw, in and out in 10 minutes
ratfacemcdougal
"The test now detects both natural immunity and immunity due to the vaccine"

I got my POSITIVE result. That is good. I don't think I ever had covid, but I have had my two shots. So about your statement above, is there a break down of natural vs vaccine, or is it all just reported as Positive and you don't know if it is natural or vaccine. Thanks
MiMi
S
Quote:

...is there a break down of natural vs vaccine, or is it all just reported as Positive and you don't know if it is natural or vaccine.
From what I can tell, we are not told if the positive result is from natural antibodies or from the vaccine. For me, I'm pretty sure that my positive result was from the vaccine since my first blood draw, with a negative result, was taken shortly after my first vaccine dose. I've been looking around their Dashboard, and it doesn't look like they are reporting (yet?) what type of positive results they're getting.
ratfacemcdougal
Thanks. Sometimes I try to read too much into a statement. I never had any covid test, so I will say, at least for me, the vaccine is working.
DisneyFan5
I came here to ask the same question. I'm positive, but I had the vaccine.

I was hoping it would say if I was positive for both, just in case I had it without knowing.
VaultingChemist
AG
I signed up after catching Covid-19 in October. First test in February was positive. Second test was taken this week and was also positive.

I have not taken a vaccine and I have no desire to take one.
MiMi
S
I may send an email to the study investigators to see if they can look up this information in their database.
happyinBCS
Got my positive results this morning from what I have read it requires 2 tests so I would think they could document from what source the positive reading came from
happyinBCS
Will they notify me for my 2nd blood draw ? looking at the calendar I think I might be in Colorado camping I don't want to miss it because I think it is an important study
happyinBCS
any thoughts
MiMi
S
You will get a text when it is time for your next test. You can have it done at your convenience. Just like the first test, no appointment is needed.
ratfacemcdougal
Just got a text for my second draw. The text also said the new test detects both vaccine induced and natural antibody presence.
trouble
AG
Just had my first draw
MiMi
S
I had my thrid and last draw last week. I'm bummed that I can't follow it out any further.

When you are texted your test results, you'll only get the qualitative result (positive or negative) for the N or S tests. If you want to see your quantitative results, look at the info from the Coronavirus board post: https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3208844

Quote:

Register here to register with an email and password
https://cpl.luminatehealth.com/common/signup

Then when you login it will prob take you to a page that says your results will be uploaded in 48 hrs. But they prob won't, so call 512-339-1275 give them your name DOB and they will uplaod your full results within an hr. Then we will see who is higher

FlyRod
Thanks for posting this MiMi, this is really great!
happyinBCS
Still have not received a text for my 2nd and it is past 90 days
MiMi
S
From the Texas Cares Website:

Quote:

Who can I contact if I have questions?

Contact the Texas CARES team at TexasCARES@uth.tmc.edu or 713-500-9441.
happyinBCS
Just had my 2nd blood draw
happyinBCS
They send you the results fast
N- test Negative
S- test Positive

So after 6 months it is still in my system the question is what is the efficacy now vs when I got the 2nd dose.

Also it is nice to know I have never had it by the negative Natural reading
trouble
AG
My results have not been fast
DisneyFan5
happyinBCS said:

They send you the results fast
N- test Negative
S- test Positive

So after 6 months it is still in my system the question is what is the efficacy now vs when I got the 2nd dose.

Also it is nice to know I have never had it by the negative Natural reading
I just did my second draw and got the same results. Had the results the next day.
MiMi
S
Reposting what I posted a couple days ago for those that want more detailed results:

When you are texted your test results, you'll only get the qualitative result (positive or negative) for the N or S tests. If you want to see your quantitative results, look at the info from the Coronavirus board post: https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3208844
Quote:

Quote:
Register here to register with an email and password
[url=https://cpl.luminatehealth.com/common/signup][/url]https://cpl.luminatehealth.com/common/signup

Then when you login it will prob take you to a page that says your results will be uploaded in 48 hrs. But they prob won't, so call 512-339-1275 give them your name DOB and they will upload your full results within an hr. Then we will see who is higher
trouble
AG
Now they are saying up to 5 days for results
Nosmo
AG
Did "T1" draw yesterday (Friday) about 2 PM.

Got results notice in email that arrived at 5:30 AM today (Saturday).
trouble
AG
I'm gonna have to call and make sure they didn't lose mine.
ratfacemcdougal
I will need to go back and check on my second. Got the text, did the survey, got the confirmation, went to rock prairie 30 minutes later and they did not have my info. The still did the draw. This was on Wednesday the 11th and have not received any text results yet.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.