Back to the office

11,709 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by dubi
TAMUgirl87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.kbtx.com/2021/05/06/texas-am-announces-employees-must-return-to-campus-june-1/
Nasreddin
This should be good.
Love Gun
New boss. New vision. Time to get back to normal.

Now about that fence around the statue.
althormoon
This is a surprise considering how adamant they originally were that June would be 75% and September 1st would be the full 100%. Now it's suddenly June for no apparent reason so a lot of staff/faculty are pissed. Also, it's completely disingenuous of them to cite New Student Conferences in the summer as a reason when those are almost all VIRTUAL and most staff have absolutely nothing to do with them.
MsDoubleD81
AG
My neighbor is p'd.
BCSWguru
I'm a little miffed, too. It's been nice working on campus with no co-workers present.
Stupe
S
althormoon said:

This is a surprise considering how adamant they originally were that June would be 75% and September 1st would be the full 100%. Now it's suddenly June for no apparent reason so a lot of staff/faculty are pissed. Also, it's completely disingenuous of them to cite New Student Conferences in the summer as a reason when those are almost all VIRTUAL and most staff have absolutely nothing to do with them.
New Student Conferences are not almost all virtual. They are in person with virtual options.

There was an announcement that they were going to be virtual and it was reversed almost immediately due to the negative backlash by freshman parents.

Thankfully the number of people willing to put up with this shut-in nonsense is quickly dwindling.

Justin2010
AG
Now if we can just get rid of the mask mandate in the office....
boredatwork08
AG
The powers-that-be can't fathom how work can get done unless they're looking over an employee's shoulder.

Edit: I get some jobs can't get done remotely but a good number can. Blanket policies like this hurt more than help.
Stupe
S
I really hope nobody falls for that troll attempt.
oldag00
AG
boredatwork08 said:

The powers-that-be can't fathom how work can get done unless they're looking over an employee's shoulder.

Edit: I get some jobs can't get done remotely but a good number can. Blanket policies like this hurt more than help.
User name checks out!
cavscout96
AG
boredatwork08 said:

i think there is probably a lot more that requires folks to be on-site than you might imagine,
Trucker 96
The right decision
FlyRod
Without mandatory vaccinations, a lot of instructors are going to be teaching in N95 masks this fall. T&P to students with hearing difficulties.
FlyRod
Quote:

OR

They could take the masks off and live their lives.

How exactly is wearing masks killing them? Do explain.
nthomas99
AG
FlyRod said:

Without mandatory vaccinations, a lot of instructors are going to be teaching in N95 masks this fall. T&P to students with hearing difficulties.

Honestly, what's the thinking here? Unless we see some strain come that overcomes the ridiculously high efficacy of all the vaccines available here in the U.S. (which I assume such people will have taken some time ago), why not take a deep breath and enjoy teaching in person again? And I ask this as the spouse of someone who has taught in person at TAMU throughout this whole thing (admittedly in a low risk category).
Eliminatus
AG
Justin2010 said:

Now if we can just get rid of the mask mandate in the office....

And the classrooms and labs...
hungryhippo
You could always just not wear one.
Stupe
S
Quote:

You could always just not wear one.

Do you not understand the meaning of the word "mandate"?
hungryhippo
I do indeed. But what are they going to do if you don't wear one? Serious question.
nthomas99
AG
They backed it with threat of termination.
FlyRod
Termination seems unlikely. I've been in a lot of TAMU buildings during the last year and lots...lots of staff are not wearing masks, or wearing them as earrings, chinstraps, di*knosing, etc. would be genuinely curious to know if anyone has been terminated for not wearing a mask.
Hammerheadjim
AG
I sense there is going to be a lot of cheese needed with all that whine...
Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
BCSWguru
[Post without being disrespectful or insulting on this forum or don't post on this forum. -Staff]
FlyRod
Quote:

One of our neighbors taught face to face last fall and said the turnout wasn't that good; I hope that picks up this fall.

I don't think students will have the remote option in the fall; initially a hybrid option was on the table but I think it was scrapped. I assume a version of said option exists for students who have special issues that put them at extra risk even if vaccinated, but haven't heard of it.
jeffk
AG
Always fun to take a very large, diverse group of people and project a reaction onto them to fit a preconceived notion.

"LOL. University staff and faculty have to go back to campus. They all must be apoplectic with dread!"

Are there some that will pitch a fit? Absolutely. The vast majority will handle it like grown ups and be just fine. And students will mostly all be back in person as they're eliminating the hybrid option that we've had in place the past year.
Justin2010
AG
FlyRod said:

Termination seems unlikely. I've been in a lot of TAMU buildings during the last year and lots...lots of staff are not wearing masks, or wearing them as earrings, chinstraps, di*knosing, etc. would be genuinely curious to know if anyone has been terminated for not wearing a mask.

Well I need my job, and I don't want to be the one walking down the hall breaking the rules and be seen by important people doing it - so yeah, I'll keep wearing the stupid thing at work.
Stupe
S
FlyRod said:

I know for a fact that people have had formal sit downs and told that if they violated the mask mandate again that their employment would be in jeopardy. In writing.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
Although it doesn't bother me going back 100% I can say it would have been nice to have more than 3 week's notice to find full-time childcare. Some of us did not keep it since we were home (and tbh paying for a year of childcare and not going doesn't make sense).....you can't really "get in" super quick sometimes there are waitlists.

Note: Staff just got the email this afternoon (like 30 min ago)... I would have preferred to find out when the media did on 5/5 although it would not have made much difference in preparation and coordination of going back 100% in 3 weeks.
Rex Racer
AG
AGGODDESS said:

Although it doesn't bother me going back 100% I can say it would have been nice to have more than 3 week's notice to find full-time childcare. Some of us did not keep it since we were home (and tbh paying for a year of childcare and not going doesn't make sense).....you can't really "get in" super quick sometimes there are waitlists.

Note: Staff just got the email this afternoon (like 30 min ago)... I would have preferred to find out when the media did on 5/5 although it would not have made much difference in preparation and coordination of going back 100% in 3 weeks.
I got the email Wednesday. They must have sent it out in small batches.
jeffk
AG
Got the first university email on 5/5, a clarifying email from my college today (basically, if you need to work from home apply through the proper channels and we'll approve anything the university approves), and then another university email regarding masking policy just a few minutes ago.
cavscout96
AG
This has been in the works for almost a month.

Anyone paying attention should have seen the writing on the wall when the virtual NSCs were immediately retracted.

If folks are surprised by this news, they have not been as connected as they should have been while "working" from home.
Rearview
AG
100% back to work June 1, must wear mask. lovely.
jeffk
AG
That's probably true to a certain extent, but the June 1st date does represent a meaningful acceleration of the timeframe for many people. For instance, our college was slated to return June 28th and apparently this announcement caught many even in dean's office by surprise.
BluHorseShu
AG
cavscout96 said:

This has been in the works for almost a month.

Anyone paying attention should have seen the writing on the wall when the virtual NSCs were immediately retracted.

If folks are surprised by this news, they have not been as connected as they should have been while "working" from home.
Actually, this is not correct. There were two different group's operating similarly but with some differences. TAMU HR was directing most of the campus return to work and TEES HR was directing all TEES, College of Engineering etc. All TEES faculty staff were told only a couple of weeks ago that it would be a transition back to the office with August 1st being the first date of 100% required to return. Based on this departments, computer labs etc planned accordingly. So, this was a huge surprise to many who are now having to adjust accordingly. It didn't affect me really since I have been working in the office 4 days a week since fall. And masks are required for all buildings throughout summer. I'll be happy to remind people if they enter our building without one.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.