Storm Damage and root rot

1,603 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Builder93
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw a few huge oaks down this morning as I was driving to breakfast.
Two on lodgepole a few others scattered through Southwood valley.

A friend of mine told me it was root rot and heavy rain that did them in.

https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/library/landscaping/rapid-decline-of-post-oaks-in-texas/#:~:text=Root%20rots%2C%20such%20as%20Phytophthora,wood%2Dboring%20insects%20described%20above.
4lilmonkeys
That must have been what I heard around 2:00 AM. Laid awake for about 10 minutes wondering what the heck it was. Same house lost a 100 year old tree maybe six years ago...
maddiedou
AG
Post oaks are junk trees
maddiedou
Oogway
"Junk" is a harsh word to use for the native post oak. The species is well suited for the dry, hot conditions and poor soil that occur in this region.

However, in the typical suburban landscape, with soil disturbance and irrigated lawns, not so much.

In His wisdom, He creates beauty and perfection. In our haste, we occasionally forget to appreciate it.
maddiedou
AG
Oh and I agree pretty trees but
Rains to hard for extended periods. Dies
Drought like we had about 10 years back. Dies
Drive a truck close to one Dies
Dig a trench Dies
Pour a slab even though no where close to the esge of the canopy. Dies

And I hate to see some of the biggest post oaks die and it is very sad but. Post oaks are junk
maddiedou
techno-ag
AG
Plant more of them to replace the constantly dying ones.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Builder93
AG
Post Oaks are great trees. They grow well in our environment until the humans come and screw them up. Leave them alone and they are nice forest trees with great canopies. How would you do if I came into your house and poured excess salt in your food, put mold in your salad, and stomped on your feet?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.