Dog Parks

1,781 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jinx
BCSMom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone had any issues with their dog getting sick after visiting a local dog park? My daughter's dog developed what we think is kennel cough and the only place he's been is the dog park in CS. He's an indoor dog and he is current on his vaccinations.
CS78
It definitely happens. Between that and worrying about a possible aggressive dog attack, I can't imagine ever going to one.
Love Gun
It's coming. Just wait.

BCSMom
Able to get him seen today and diagnosed with kennel cough and prescribed meds. No more dog park.
chickencoupe16
AG
BCSMom said:

Able to get him seen today and diagnosed with kennel cough and prescribed meds. No more dog park.

You could just vaccinate him for kennel cough instead of swearing off of dog parks.

ETA: I'm assuming that he's not already as it's a common vaccine to skip if not boarding.
bushytailed
AG
I learned the hard way not to let a dog drink from the pond on the small dog side.

Long-haired dog + wagging tail + whatever bug he picked up = the poop literally hitting the fan
BCSMom
He was vaccinated a few months ago but read they can still catch it even with the vaccine.
Tibbers
Some of the dog parks here in Cs are really just drainage ditches with grass around. It's really not safe to be honest. There are good parks to the doggos however so I'll just stick to that.
reineraggie09
AG
As a vet, I strongly urge my clients to stay away from dog parks, especially if they have a puppy. Parvo can live in the soil for years and even vaccinated dogs can get it if exposed at a high enough rate. Kennel cough is about the mildest thing they could get but usually that is a boarding facility thing. Just don't go.
reineraggie09
AG
That vaccine has to be updated every few months, doesn't last a year. Lots of much worse things dogs can get a dog parks besides kennel cough.
MiMi
S
As a veterinarian and dog owner, I avoid all dog parks. I also avoid the 'poop islands' in front of PetSmart and other 'pet-friendly' businesses and, when traveling, avoid them in the periphery of Buc-ee's and similar destinations and pit stops. I worry about parvovirus and other contagious viruses my dog could be exposed to more than my exposure to coronavirus in public spaces.
Jinx
Yep, avoid dog parks. They sound fantastic but the risk of injury, other animals out of control, and illness is just not worth it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.