Bryan ISD dropping the masks next year

9,869 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by RafterAg223
JaxDad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I also want to touch on the plan for next year.
  • Masks will become optional in Bryan ISD beginning July 1, 2021, as long as the conditions with COVID-19 continue to improve. We will always work with and follow guidance from our local health authority, the Department of State Health Services and the Texas Education Agency. But, as of now, the goal is for masks to become optional across Bryan ISD on July 1.
  • After July 1, PPE, such as sneeze guards, hand sanitizer, etc., will continue to be available on Bryan ISD campuses for Summer Power Camps and the 2021-2022 school year.
I know comfortability with being in public right now varies, and that is one of the reasons why Bryan ISD is exploring opening a virtual academy next school year. This academy would be for students in grades 5-12 who meet the following criteria:

Will CS ISD do the same?
Aggie
AG
Not expecting CSISD to drop mandate .. hope I'm wrong

brhuggs
I sure hope you're wrong, too! The Governor has lifted the mandate; Covid numbers are continuing to decrease; everyone that wants the vaccine has had a chance to receive it by now. Enough with forcing these kids to wear masks all day and especially during athletics It's time to make masks optional in school!
Jinx
Didnt gripe about masks at any point during all of this, just tried to do my part for those around me. I realize having family members in ICU and a death in the family colors my opinion, only bringing all that up to say I also believe it is time. I have a kid in BISD, and I was happy to see the email.
cavscout96
AG
JaxDad said:

• Masks will become optional in Bryan ISD beginning July 1, 2021, as long as the conditions with COVID-19 continue to improve. We will always work with and follow guidance from our local health authority, the Department of State Health Services and the Texas Education Agency. But, as of now, the goal is for masks to become optional across Bryan ISD on July 1.
  • After July 1, PPE, such as sneeze guards, hand sanitizer, etc., will continue to be available on Bryan ISD campuses for Summer Power Camps and the 2021-2022 school year.
I know comfortability with being in public right now varies, and that is one of the reasons why Bryan ISD is exploring opening a virtual academy next school year. This academy would be for students in grades 5-12 who meet the following criteria:

Will CS ISD do the same?
??
MarineBQ04
AG
Look at the positive of wearing masks. It makes it harder for facial recognition to work...
Stupe
S
Aggie said:

Not expecting CSISD to drop mandate .. hope I'm wrong

Emails need to be sent by parents.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
CSISD always seems to be several steps behind BISD lately. They wait for Bryan to do something, wait a few weeks and then follow.

They'll wait to see if there's a backlash and if not, will announce they are doing it as well.
dubi
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

CSISD always seems to be several steps behind BISD lately. They wait for Bryan to do something, wait a few weeks and then follow.

They'll wait to see if there's a backlash and if not, will announce they are doing it as well.
Pathetic leadership strategy.
Love Gun
dubi said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

They'll figure out a way to make it an incentive for a property tax increase. "Wear your mask everywhere, get a tax exemption".
techno-ag
AG
This is really most excellent news and a milestone for a return to normalcy. Young people are among the least vulnerable and teachers can get inoculated. It's a win-win.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
txgardengirl
The CSISD school board leans a little more mask-heavy at this point, I imagine it will be taken up at the next school board meeting I'm super pro-College Station, but all decisions need to be watched more closely before our city shifts somewhere I lot of us didn't notice it going
dubi
AG
txgardengirl said:

The CSISD school board leans a little more mask-heavy at this point

They would like to continue to unnecessarily torture those kids? The evidence is there no to discontinue mask wearing in K-12 and have 100% in person instruction with vaccinated teachers.

Folks who continue to be scared or have a health condition should voluntarily wear a mask.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
dubi said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Agreed.

I have never really voted in local elections before, despite living here for over 25 years. That will not be the case in the next election. I will be voting against every incumbent in City Council and the school board. Our city needs a complete overhaul of it's elected officials. Throw out every single one of them and start fresh. There need to be consequences for this local fiasco and it needs to happen now.
Tailgate88
AG
I heard from someone who works in the front office of a CSISD school that rumors are things should be back to normal next year. I suppose you'll have a few kids that still wear the mask for whatever reason but it's not supposed to be a requirement at least that's what they said. Of course virtual option will likely never go away.
dubi
AG
Quote:

Of course virtual option will likely never go away.
It should go away for the sake of the teachers!

If a teacher is in the classroom with kids they should not have to cope with remote learners at the same time. It is too hard and the remote learners are failing at too high a rate.
Tailgate88
AG
I completely agree and hope I am wrong. But once the horse is out of the barn it's hard to get it back in.
George Costanza
The fact BISD meets the 3rd Monday of each month and typically has a workshop two weeks prior while CSISD meets for both meetings the 3rd Tuesday of each month might just have a little to do with that ... you know; open meetings laws and all.
jeffk
AG
Will CSISD have a virtual academy option like BISD in the fall?
coopers hawk
Here's the thing about dropping the masks at school: if lil' Jane exposes her class to Covid, And they're unmasked, they're all having to quarantine for two weeks. If they're wearing masks, It doesn't count as an exposure and only Jane stays home. We may need to retain masking in schools to keep kids in class, unless factors triggering quarantine change.

I hope we won't need masks in the fall, but I can understand keeping them until vaccines are available for kids.
Love Gun
coopers hawk said:

Here's the thing about dropping the masks at school: if lil' Jane exposes her class to Covid, And they're unmasked, they're all having to quarantine for two weeks. If they're wearing masks, It doesn't count as an exposure and only Jane stays home. We may need to retain masking in schools to keep kids in class, unless factors triggering quarantine change.

I hope we won't need masks in the fall, but I can understand keeping them until vaccines are available for kids.

Where are people coming up with these stupid metrics? Two weeks. Six feet. Two masks. None of it has worked.

How about we let kids be kids and build their immunity by wiping snot on each other after picking their noses? No, I don't listen to the CDC or Fauci because they are both FOS and are bought and paid for.
JaxDad
AG
cavscout96 said:

JaxDad said:

Will CS ISD do the same?
??
The top part is a cut and paste of the official BISD announcement. The "will csisd do the same" is my question. Looks like they are the same font.
Jinx
dubi said:

txgardengirl said:

The CSISD school board leans a little more mask-heavy at this point

They would like to continue to unnecessarily torture those kids?

Good to know if my kid ever enlists and ends up being a POW, he will never give into his captors.

"You'll never find the juiceboxes! Never!!"

I've said to my kids that it is good practice for becoming a surgeon so they can take care of me in my old age. Or you could tell your kids it is torture. Whatever works for you.
threecatcorner
dubi said:

Quote:

If a teacher is in the classroom with kids they should not have to cope with remote learners at the same time. It is too hard and the remote learners are failing at too high a rate.

Not all of the virtual stuff is set up the same. The same teacher trying to teach to virtual kids and in-person kids at the same time is a bit much, but there are at least some classes (not sure if all grade levels or only certain ones) that have a virtual class separate from the other classes so there is a specific teacher assigned to just the virtual kids and is able to just teach to them and not simultaneously teach to kids in-person. A specific teacher for virtual and different teachers for in-person so the teacher can just concentrate on one or the other is better both for the kids and teachers.
Stupe
S
GiveEmHellBill said:

dubi said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Agreed.

I have never really voted in local elections before, despite living here for over 25 years. That will not be the case in the next election. I will be voting against every incumbent in City Council and the school board. Our city needs a complete overhaul of it's elected officials. Throw out every single one of them and start fresh. There need to be consequences for this local fiasco and it needs to happen now.
If that's actually your logic, then continue to not vote. Just because a person is an incumbent, it doesn't meant that they are doing a bad job and need to be automatically voted out.

Either do research, or stay at home. At least not voting won't do damage to the good ones.
jeffk
AG
threecatcorner said:

dubi said:

Quote:

Not all of the virtual stuff is set up the same. The same teacher trying to teach to virtual kids and in-person kids at the same time is a bit much, but there are at least some classes (not sure if all grade levels or only certain ones) that have a virtual class separate from the other classes so there is a specific teacher assigned to just the virtual kids and is able to just teach to them and not simultaneously teach to kids in-person. A specific teacher for virtual and different teachers for in-person so the teacher can just concentrate on one or the other is better both for the kids and teachers.

Having separate teachers for virtual and in-person students is indeed ideal. We haven't seen much of that this school year in most districts, but that seems to be the strategy a lot of districts are preparing to employ in the coming fall semester. Bryan and many other districts will have full-time virtual academies this fall as they welcome all students (who want to) back into in-person instruction.
Bryanisbest
AG
txgardengirl said:

The CSISD school board leans a little more mask-heavy at this point, I imagine it will be taken up at the next school board meeting I'm super pro-College Station, but all decisions need to be watched more closely before our city shifts somewhere I lot of us didn't notice it going

Historically, College Station has always leaned toward more govt controls in every way. Bryan always less so. Masks are just one more way to control.
Stupe
S
Specific examples?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Stupe said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

dubi said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Agreed.

If that's actually your logic, then continue to not vote. Just because a person is an incumbent, it doesn't meant that they are doing a bad job and need to be automatically voted out.

Either do research, or stay at home. At least not voting won't do damage to the good ones.
Thanks for the advice, but no. "Good ones"? Which one has spoken out AGAINST any of this insanity? Which one has spoken out that we need to return our schools to normal? Find me one and I'll change my mind. If they are not trying to be a part of the solution, then they are part of the problem, imo.
Jinx
"If they are not trying to be a part of the solution, then they are part of the problem, imo."

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.
Stupe
S
Quote:

Thanks for the advice, but no. "Good ones"? Which one has spoken out AGAINST any of this insanity? Which one has spoken out that we need to return our schools to normal? Find me one and I'll change my mind. If they are not trying to be a part of the solution, then they are part of the problem, imo.
Generic response of every lazy voter.

Why should someone else do the research for you? If you are going to vote, why aren't you going to put in the effort to find out who you agree with?
How do people not understand that by taking that attitude they may be shooting themselves in the foot?
Vote against somebody just because they are the incumbent. They may be on your side, but don't do research and vote against them because they are the incumbent.
Then vote for someone that is going to make a person angry just because they aren't an incumbent but no research was done.
But....everyone has been "thrown out and we are starting fresh."

Don't worry that two of the people "thrown out" were on my side and have been replaced with people that aren't. We are starting fresh.

It would be a laughable attitude if there weren't consequences.
George Costanza
Well ... CSISD opened in person school on the first possible date, ended virtual options for non-performing students at the first possible time and, to my understanding, kept the mask rules in place in order to avoid close contact problems per TEA requirements.

Considering hindsight is 20/20, what should they have done differently?
Stupe
S
Quote:

kept the mask rules in place in order to avoid close contact problems per TEA requirements.
And the UIL for kids in extracurricular activities. Wearing a mask kept them out of UIL mandated contact protocols which may have forced a student to miss competitions.

Both of those protocols were out of the hands of CSISD, but we can't little things like facts get in the way. Not when a rant can happen.

chickencoupe16
AG
Peaster ISD had no problem without masks.

Edit to add: https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/03/08/rural-peaster-isd-texas-masks-distancing-students-academically/
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.