Bryan ISD dropping the masks next year

10,025 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by RafterAg223
George Costanza
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Because clearly a district of 1,300 kids based in a rural town of 100 people is the equivalent of a district of 13,000 kids in a transient university community of close to 300,000 when it comes to the potential spread of communicable diseases.
techno-ag
AG
George Costanza said:

Because clearly a district of 1,300 kids based in a rural town of 100 people is the equivalent of a district of 13,000 kids in a transient university community of close to 300,000 when it comes to the potential spread of communicable diseases.
Not sure your point. There's no mask mandate in the entire state.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Wicked Good Ag
I love how everyone piles on CSISD because they aren't first to say it. We are three months away from fall and still two months away from the effective date of Bryan ISD. THERE IS NO REASON TO BE FIRST just for the sake of it. Plenty of time to make a decision for the coming academic year.

Each school board does it on their timetable. Maybe just maybe then had a different agenda at their last meeting and have it scheduled for the next one who knows.
nthomas99
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

I love how everyone piles on CSISD because they aren't first to say it. We are three months away from fall and still two months away from the effective date of Bryan ISD. THERE IS NO REASON TO BE FIRST just for the sake of it. Plenty of time to make a decision for the coming academic year.

Each school board does it on their timetable. Maybe just maybe then had a different agenda at their last meeting and have it scheduled for the next one who knows.

There's a pattern of minimal communication and providing little reasoning for decisions as well as consistently deferring pandemic related policy announcements that goes back to early last year. It doesn't bug you, but it does bug many of us who aren't anti-mask but want a measured, thoughtful discussion of such decisions.

I'll again raise the example of when they initially announced that those below 10 years old wouldn't be required to wear masks and then 180'd on that decision with no justification. I can simultaneously ascribe the best of intentions to the the CSISD school board and yet still demand more timely and thorough communication about issues that affect my children and the expenditure of my tax dollars.

I received requests to register my three children for the fall in CSISD today. Their decision on masks informs whether I will do this or pursue alternative education options for them in the fall. Young children have never been at any heightened risk for contracting nor transmitting coronavirus. And without being dramatic and saying it's "torture", I can still reasonably be concerned about the unmeasured educational and early socialization effects on young children.

I would like to know how to proceed now instead of in the middle of the summer. Sorry, it's time to plan rollbacks of mask requirements now (or provide detailed justification for delaying), at the very least for those in the lower grades. Step up CSISD.

EDIT: And I'll add, my friends who work in the school district have told me the guidance they've received for over a month now is the expectation is that things will return to close to normal next fall (including rescinding mask requirement). So why not just go ahead and tell the public?
BQ_90
AG
[Please remain respectful on this forum by not using trolling phrases from other forums. Thank you. -Staff]
Bryanisbest
AG
Bryanisbest said:

txgardengirl said:

The CSISD school board leans a little more mask-heavy at this point, I imagine it will be taken up at the next school board meeting I'm super pro-College Station, but all decisions need to be watched more closely before our city shifts somewhere I lot of us didn't notice it going

Historically, College Station has always leaned toward more govt controls in every way. Bryan always less so. Masks are just one more way to control.

Much heavier controls over development. Stricter govt controls in zoning. Bryan did not even zoning prior to about 20 years ago. Impact feel to build homes.
Love Gun
Great post. I wish I had more to offer, but maybe the ISD is trying to delay as much as possible due to the thoughts of the mayor and city council.

As soon as Abbott lifted the mandate, they made sure to go public and address it by injecting their personal feelings (especially Crompton) about why they disagreed with Abbott's order, and "encouraged" everyone to keep wearing masks. I don't remember hearing anything from Bryan.
dubi
AG
Quote:

And without being dramatic and saying it's "torture", I can still reasonably be concerned about the unmeasured educational and early socialization effects on young children.
I actually was not being dramatic when I said our kids were being tortured.

Early on in the Covid pandemic, there was no data to support who needed masks and who didn't. But once data showed kids at school were not spreading Covid, they should have dropped the requirement.

-----

As to the comment somewhere above that mentioned "what do you do with an entire class that has been exposed"? I'd suggest we let them attend school and just stay in their classroom. Bring in lunch and library books. Let them have a run around the playground away from the other kids. IMHO, no reason to keep the entire class home.

100 percent my own thoughts and I have stayed at a Holiday Inn.
MTTANK
AG
CS has a new Super, so that might be part of the hesitation we have seen in decision making. From what I have heard, he is good people and does a good job. We don't have the terrible school board anymore, those people have been worked or voted out for the most part. I think CSISD is being leaned on by the city council and mayor. Our mayor is hot garbage, as well as the majority of the city council.
Jinx
Please look up the definition of torture and understand why stating that wearing a mask is torture is, in fact, disrespectful and slightly dramatic.

Thank you for your time.

[Be respectful when posting on this forum. -Staff]
RafterAg223
AG
MTTANK said:

CS has a new Super, so that might be part of the hesitation we have seen in decision making. From what I have heard, he is good people and does a good job. We don't have the terrible school board anymore, those people have been worked or voted out for the most part. I think CSISD is being leaned on by the city council and mayor. Our mayor is hot garbage, as well as the majority of the city council.
This......This city needs to wake up and get these clowns out of office. They are spending money like drunken sailors, writing letters to the president on our behalf and without our input, calling the cops on unmasked college girls at a rush party, giving sweetheart deals to their pet project retailers that they simply do not give to anyone else, crying about being powerless against Abbott's lifting of restrictions, etc... It's pathetic. Total clown show
nthomas99
AG
George Costanza said:

The fact BISD meets the 3rd Monday of each month and typically has a workshop two weeks prior while CSISD meets for both meetings the 3rd Tuesday of each month might just have a little to do with that ... you know; open meetings laws and all.
Honest question with regards to open meeting laws, etc... What exactly does it allow/disallow them from doing prior to the meeting?

I ask because I called the CSISD central office this morning and simply said I had a question about the mask policy as it applies to informing decisions for fall reregistration. I was forwarded to the communications office where a nice gentlemen (honestly - he deserves a raise, I can only imagine...) said that the decision would be announced at the May18th meeting and that I would "very pleased with what you hear".

So if the issue has been discussed, and (admittedly pending vote) consensus has been attained, why not go ahead and announced what policy will be voted on? Are they not allowed to? Is it to come across as though input at the meeting from the public will affect the decision?

To those who say be patient, I hear you and would do that if this was a one-off delay in decision and/or communication. But again, from my perspective, this is a recurring issue.
Tailgate88
AG
nthomas99 said:

George Costanza said:

The fact BISD meets the 3rd Monday of each month and typically has a workshop two weeks prior while CSISD meets for both meetings the 3rd Tuesday of each month might just have a little to do with that ... you know; open meetings laws and all.
Honest question with regards to open meeting laws, etc... What exactly does it allow/disallow them from doing prior to the meeting?

I ask because I called the CSISD central office this morning and simply said I had a question about the mask policy as it applies to informing decisions for fall reregistration. I was forwarded to the communications office where a nice gentlemen (honestly - he deserves a raise, I can only imagine...) said that the decision would be announced at the May18th meeting and that I would "very pleased with what you hear".

So if the issue has been discussed, and (admittedly pending vote) consensus has been attained, why not go ahead and announced what policy will be voted on? Are they not allowed to? Is it to come across as though input at the meeting from the public will affect the decision?

To those who say be patient, I hear you and would do that if this was a one-off delay in decision and/or communication. But again, from my perspective, this is a recurring issue.
Chuck does deserve a raise, he does a great job.

And I'm confident what he told you will be true about May 18.
SARATOGA
Except how would you know that little Jane has it ? Kids are basically immune/asymptomatic. Unless there is a regular testing protocol for kids that is compulsory, you wouldn't know it until a vulnerable parent or grandparent experienced symptoms and was tested.

We should be able to know which teachers/administrators are vaccinated (since we clearly aren't doing HIPAA anymore) Mandate teacher and administrator vaccination and let's be done with the mandatory masks for kids. The whole point of masks, social distancing, quarantine was to protect the vulnerable older populations - and they are for the majority vaccinated now.

Saratoga for School Board: "Kids first - Period"
SARATOGA
Not TEA requirements. TEA reports to the Governor.

Somehow the Health District got a massive power grab in all this and therefore (again not sure how) everyone is operating under guidance from the Brazos County Health District, schools too
dubi
AG
A visual of why masks mandates need to go!

Jbob04
AG
That is heartbreaking to see. Poor kids
Wicked Good Ag
nthomas99 said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

EDIT: And I'll add, my friends who work in the school district have told me the guidance they've received for over a month now is the expectation is that things will return to close to normal next fall (including rescinding mask requirement). So why not just go ahead and tell the public?
that is the expectation but not a certainty at this time....since it isnt what tell the public until you know?
nthomas99
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

nthomas99 said:

that is the expectation but not a certainty at this time....since it isnt what tell the public until you know?

Because parents need to plan and there's no greater certainty on the immediate horizon from a scientific perspective (really, speak up if there's some data we're waiting on).

I get that the unexpected may happen (a new super strain arise this summer that laughs at the vaccines), but for the highly likely scenario (cases and deaths continue to decline rapidly as vaccinations continue -- look at Israel), all the scientific data is known. Young children aren't at risk and are unlikely to transmit. Teachers will have had plenty of time to vaccinate. Again, there's no new data inbound so it's time to buckle up and announce a decision.

If the decision isn't being made yet for social / political issues, well then, it's time to own up to this too. I get that it's a polarizing issue, but lead out and let parents decide how they'll navigate, push back, or make alternative plans about for their children in the fall.

Again, my interactions with those who work in the district and direct communication with the district yesterday makes it likely the decision has been made. Put the plan out there already.
Tailgate88
AG
nthomas99 said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

nthomas99 said:

Because parents need to plan and there's no greater certainty on the immediate horizon from a scientific perspective (really, speak up if there's some data we're waiting on).

I get that the unexpected may happen (a new super strain arise this summer that laughs at the vaccines), but for the highly likely scenario (cases and deaths continue to decline rapidly as vaccinations continue -- look at Israel), all the scientific data is known. Young children aren't at risk and are unlikely to transmit. Teachers will have had plenty of time to vaccinate. Again, there's no new data inbound so it's time to buckle up and announce a decision.

If the decision isn't being made yet for social / political issues, well then, it's time to own up to this too. I get that it's a polarizing issue, but lead out and let parents decide how they'll navigate, push back, or make alternative plans about for their children in the fall.

Again, my interactions with those who work in the district and direct communication with the district yesterday makes it likely the decision has been made. Put the plan out there already.
Presumably, as soon as the board votes to approve it, they will. And the next opportunity for that to happen is at the May 18th meeting.
SARATOGA
There is also a lot of people who utilize Kids Klub for summer care. So it isn't a "next fall is a long ways away" issue.

School is over at the end of May. Everyone wanted to "make it thru" the school year. Ok. Well, June 1st summer care programming starts. What is the deal with that ?
histag10
AG
Im thrilled BISD is going mask optional. We, however, hope we wont be in BISD going forward (waiting to hear back on transfer application).
Creekisrising
MTTANK
I always like your insight on these topics. I hope you are right about he current board. I know there is a holdover from when they crippled Consol through rezoning. I hear he is doing all he can to push through a "purple" bond. Hope you are right.
Tailgate88
AG
Hendo said:

MTTANK
I always like your insight on these topics. I hope you are right about he current board. I know there is a holdover from when they crippled Consol through rezoning. I hear he is doing all he can to push through a "purple" bond. Hope you are right.

What is a "purple" bond?
Stupe
S
Tailgate88 said:

Hendo said:

MTTANK

What is a "purple" bond?
What is any of that?

"crippled Consol"?
MTTANK
AG
Stupe said:

Tailgate88 said:

Hendo said:

MTTANK

What is a "purple" bond?
What is any of that?

"crippled Consol"?

Gotta be honest, I'm at a loss as well. I don't think the board is heavy either school or one neighborhood like it used to be. Think it is mostly about the kids now, which is how it's supposed to be. As far as the crooked and embarrassing rezoning that occurred, we will be dealing with it for years as a community.
JaxDad
AG
It looks like Abbott has made the call

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-issues-executive-order-prohibiting-government-entities-from-mandating-masks

dubi
AG
JaxDad said:

It looks like Abbott has made the call

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-issues-executive-order-prohibiting-government-entities-from-mandating-masks

Great news!
chickencoupe16
dubi
AG
No masks for TAMU effective tomorrow!

threecatcorner
Abbott should not be making this call. Local communities should be able to decide based on virus levels in their area. To not allow judges or school districts or even public health authorities to make the call is dumb. What if some area is hit with a huge wave of some super contagious variant? Why can't at least the public health authority make public health decisions for their own community? What authority does he have to take away their authority? For those who thought he was overstepping by putting in a mask mandate in the first place, I think Abbott is now way overcorrecting in the opposite direction and doing at least as much of an abuse of powers as he was before.

Edited to fix typos
BCStalk
I stopped reading as soon as I saw the words wave and variant. Enough is enough. It's time to get back to normal. If you or anyone is still scared or worried, I suggest getting the vaccine and continue wearing 3 masks as the CDC would like. The rest of us are tired of the government overreach.
CS Iron 25
What if the virus has a 99.6 survival rate and it's time to move on?
RafterAg223
AG
threecatcorner said:

Abbott should not be making this call. Local communities should be able to decide based on virus levels in their area. To not allow judges or school districts or even public health authorities to make the call is dumb. What if some area is hit with a huge wave of some super contagious variant? Why can't at least the public health authority make public health decisions for their own community? What authority does he have to take away their authority? For those who thought he was overstepping by putting in a mask mandate in the first place, I think Abbott is now way overcorrecting in the opposite direction and doing at least as much of an abuse of powers as he was before.

Edited to fix typos

WOW, let's all keep living in total fear of a virus that literally has a 99.96% survival rate for the healthy population in this country.
techno-ag
AG
Abbott had to make this call because of magical thinking by some locals that goes against current science and CDC guidelines.

But no one is preventing anyone from wearing a mask. You do you.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.