Is that a C-17 buzzing around?

2,485 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by snaglepuss
BaitShack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty cool.

Rapier108
Yep
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
BaitShack
AG
Nice to get a little unexpected air show today.
trouble
AG
Yes. I just talked to my C-17 pilot (no, that's not him out there). It's from one of the training bases.

We might see these a little more regularly for a bit. One of their outbases is having runway repairs done.
dubi
AG
Did it land?
trouble
AG
Just touch and goes, I think.
BQ_90
AG
crap, I could hear but was on stupid teams meeting and couldn't get outside to see it
FedexAggie
AG
Definitely a C-17.

More photos to follow but it was my fini flight from active duty. All Aggie pilots, 3 class of '09 and 1 class of '11.
FedexAggie
AG

trouble
AG
Congrats!
MiMi
S
Awesome! So glad I got to see it!
BaitShack
AG
I run outside and look skyward whenever I hear aircraft. My daughter drew this picture of me. See the plane? She's in college now.

chickencoupe16
AG
BaitShack said:

I run outside and look skyward whenever I hear aircraft. My daughter drew this picture of me. See the plane? She's a Senior at A&M now.

I do the same thing and live on the southern approach (also work really close to Easterwood but missed the C17 because I was running errands most of the day...). Now that she's approaching 1 year, I've been grabbing mine every time and trying to get her to look at them. She seems to track one about every third time.
BaitShack
AG
On a side note, single sided deafness has really put a dent in my aircraft viewing. I can't locate sound and have no idea which way to look.
trouble
AG
When I lived in Garden Acres, I grabbed my oldest (then only) and went outside for almost every plane we heard. He's a pilot now.

The little boys are fast becoming as airplane obsessed as he was.
BaitShack
AG
I soloed a Piper Tomahawk and ran out of money, so there's that.

Is Gary Gandy still around? Coyotes on the runway! Go around.
dubi
AG
Post here next time you are going to swing by CLL!
scd88
AG
Awesome. Thanks for sharing the pics.
EMY92
AG
BaitShack said:

I run outside and look skyward whenever I hear aircraft. My daughter drew this picture of me. See the plane? She's in college now.

Not bad for a college student. I'm well beyond college and I still can't draw that well.
labmansid
dubi said:

We should set up a text alert group on WhatsApp for unusual aircraft sightings. I am in a local group for rare birds, and this would just be for different kinds of birds.
dubi
AG
labmansid said:

dubi said:

We should set up a text alert group on WhatsApp for unusual aircraft sightings. I am in a local group for rare birds, and this would just be for different kinds of birds.
Would you do that for us poor working folks?
labmansid
dubi said:

labmansid said:

dubi said:

Would you do that for us poor working folks?
I knew I should have kept my mouth shut after I hit the post button!

I didn't set up the one I'm in already, so it might take some research. If someone else has done this, feel free to chime in!
Tailgate88
AG
I'd be interested in participating. I work from home and often keep ADSBexchnage open on a monitor to see who is flying around. It's fun to watch all the private jets and the Aggie Athletics charters come and go.

Caught this crazy thing flying by one day last month.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N941NA

I'm south of town and not near the airport so I miss a lot of the cool stuff (including the C17 yesterday).
dubi
AG
https://faq.whatsapp.com/android/chats/how-to-create-and-invite-into-a-group/?lang=en
dubi
AG
Tailgate88 said:

I'd be interested in participating. I work from home and often keep ADSBexchnage open on a monitor to see who is flying around. It's fun to watch all the private jets and the Aggie Athletics charters come and go.

I'm south of town and not near the airport so I miss a lot of the cool stuff (including the C17 yesterday).

The NASA guppy otherwise known as the "vomet comet"!
Rapier108
dubi said:

Tailgate88 said:

The NASA guppy otherwise known as the "vomet comet"!
The Super Gully isn't the vomit comet. It's an oversized cargo carrier, originally designed to carry parts for the Apollo program. It is based on the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser, itself based on the Boeing B-29 Superfortress. NASA's remaining one has been extensively upgraded and now uses turbine engines rather than the original pistons.

NASA retired their vomit comets, a KC-135 and a C-9B, and now use a Boeing 727 operated by Zero Gravity Corporation.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
dubi
AG
Thanks for the clarification!
Jackie Daytona
AG
snaglepuss
They can't publicize their mission beforehand.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.