Brazos CAD values posted

14,797 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aggiepaintrain
Carnwellag2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
YES - the best texas constitution amendment we could pass would be that a homeowner is ONLY taxed on their property at the value when they first purchase.

The assessed value can increase each year, but the tax value only resets when there is a SALE.

People get taxed out of their property and this isn't right.
Carnwellag2
jja79 said:

Whether you're selling or not is irrelevant. Each year is different. Markets go up and go down. Under your plan people buying in the current period would typically bear an inordinate percentage of the tax burden. You're free to protest your valuation in any year.

It would do three things:

1- much like the rational for freezing the taxes for 'over 65' it would allow people to plan their finances better.
2- It would treat all homeowners the same - those under 65 vs. those over 65
3- it would force the ELECTED politicians to have to make decisions on tax rate/ spending more frequently. Those are the people who should be making the decision because they are held accountable to the people.

Mathguy64
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

YES - the best texas constitution amendment we could pass would be that a homeowner is ONLY taxed on their property at the value when they first purchase.

The assessed value can increase each year, but the tax value only resets when there is a SALE.

So if I buy unimproved property or a beater I get taxed on the value as is? And if a year later build a Taj Majal there I continue to pay the taxes of the beater property?

Or what if I add a $100k pool or addition?

I get the current system isnt fair but this concept has a lot of loopholes.

What needs to happen is the legislature and elected bodies that want the tax money need to be required to ask for that increase. And if they don't get it tough.
91_Aggie
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Carnwellag2 said:

So if I buy unimproved property or a beater I get taxed on the value as is? And if a year later build a Taj Majal there I continue to pay the taxes of the beater property?

What needs to happen is the legislature and elected bodies that want the tax money need to be required to ask for that increase. And if they don't get it tough.

There is a middle ground where certain events could trigger re-evaluation like
Tearing down old house and building one
Major add-on like pool or extension to house

But for most people they do not do that type of thing
jja79
AG
If I bought a house in 2010 for $100K and you bought the same floor plan in essentially the same condition 4 doors down in 2020 for $225K you should be taxed more. Is that what you're saying?
pacecar02
Mathguy64 said:

yes

Tax revenues have to have doubled over the last 10 years...my pay has not

Of course the cities have expanded and are providing additional service to new areas and I assume there is ongoing maintenance to existing infrastructure, but the unfettered rise in tax revenues via appraised values is ridiculous.

edit: I looked it up

city of Bryan

https://docs.bryantx.gov/fiscal/City_of_Bryan_Adopted_FY10_Budget.pdf

2010 Tax revenues which include property tax, sales tax, and hotel occupancy tax
$41,844,514

https://docs.bryantx.gov/fiscal/FY2020AdoptedBudget.pdf

2020 Tax revenues which include property tax, sales tax, and hotel occupancy tax
$63,434,949

property tax revenue alone look like about 15 million to 25 million over 10 years
91_Aggie
AG
jja79 said:

If I bought a house in 2010 for $100K and you bought the same floor plan in essentially the same condition 4 doors down in 2020 for $225K you should be taxed more. Is that what you're saying?

Yes!
Tax value should be based a real value, not the potential value. My house has more than doubled in the 23 years since I bought it. I get no benefit from that at all except to pay more in taxes.
(And yeah, i guess a benefit would be i could go into debt with a home equity loan)

Imagine if in another 10 years the value drops back to original purchase price before i sell it... that means i paid higher taxes on it for all those years for a value i never was able to realize.

jja79
AG
Don't know that I've ever run into anyone who believes the tax burden shouldn't be equalized as much as possible but I guess there's always something new. Doesn't make any sense but ok.
Tibbers
Mine went up 13k. Just had it appraised at 15k lower. Crazy valuations.
dubi
AG
Tibbers said:

Mine went up 13k. Just had it appraised at 15k lower. Crazy valuations.

Just submit your appraisal and they will lower it.
kyledr04
AG
We shouldn't have property tax at all especially on your home. Having a pool or bigger house doesn't mean anything except you can afford to pay more until one day you can't.
Post removed:
by user
Ratsa
I took the tax revenue numbers you found and converted them to a per capita tax revenue to reflect the growth in Bryan's population. And of course they increased over a 10 year period, but on a annual basis, they didn't grow as much as it might seem.

2010 tax revenue: $41,844,514
2010 population: 76,201
2010 tax revenue per capita: $549

2020 tax revenue: $63,434,949
2020 population: 89,194
2020 tax revenue per capita: $711

The tax revenue per capita grew at an annual rate of 2.6% over that 10 year period.
cavscout96
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

Taxes have increased substantially over the past several years. Pay scales around here have not. The amount of overbuilt, grandiose civic buildings has gone up as well. The city and the county should have to live within a budget if we have to......

Gotta come up with the $2M they gave Costco somehow...
pacecar02
sure, but

2010 property tax revenue: $14,900,000
2010 tax revenue per capita: $195.53

2020 property tax revenue: $25,000,000
2020 tax revenue per capita: $280.28

this constittutes a 43 percent increase in property tax revenue over 10 years
EBrazosAg
AG
Ok. And not a fan of property taxes .... but a 4.3% non-compounded increase annually probably isn't excessive compared to actual values. Just saying.....I would think that's pretty close to actual increase.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I called the tax office and they dropped the increase by $25k

still a net increase of $10k in value but I'm satisfied for the amount of time I spent.

Ratsa
pacecar02 said:

sure, but

2010 property tax revenue: $14,900,000
2010 tax revenue per capita: $195.53

2020 property tax revenue: $25,000,000
2020 tax revenue per capita: $280.28

this constittutes a 43 percent increase in property tax revenue over 10 years
And that 43% increase over ten years equates to an annual increase of 3.7%. Of course that's higher than anyone wants, but it doesn't have the shock and awe effect when you look at an annual rate compared to a 10-year rate.
cavscout96
AG
Compare that to the salary growth rate annually. I'd hazard a guess it's higher.

Carnwellag2
91_A said:

Quote:

There is a middle ground where certain events could trigger re-evaluation like
Tearing down old house and building one
Major add-on like pool or extension to house

But for most people they do not do that type of thing
THIS
Carnwellag2
jja79 said:

CORRECT.

This allows when you buy a home to know your costs and not have the government decide to price you out (or tax you out of your home)
Carnwellag2
Quote:

Gotta come up with the $2M they gave Costco somehow...
that's not exactly how it works.....
pacecar02
the point is, I dont get a 3.5-5 percent raise every year

At some point this rate of appreciation is unsustainable
duffelpud
AG
Up 47.6% in CS.
"What's this button do?"
LOYAL AG
AG
91_Aggie said:

jja79 said:

Yes!
Tax value should be based a real value, not the potential value. My house has more than doubled in the 23 years since I bought it. I get no benefit from that at all except to pay more in taxes.
(And yeah, i guess a benefit would be i could go into debt with a home equity loan)

Imagine if in another 10 years the value drops back to original purchase price before i sell it... that means i paid higher taxes on it for all those years for a value i never was able to realize.

Your example is specifically why valuations change each year. Fact is that the dollar is worth half what it was when you bought your house. At 3% inflation money doubles every 24 years. If your tax value is fixed at the purchase price then you're effectively paying half of what you were when you purchased that house.

I get the frustration and I'm certainly not all in with the current system but given the length of time people own houses there's not really a better option. Real estate particularly in CS is becoming a strained commodity and prices are going to keep going up. It sucks sitting here knowing there's a lot of untapped value being taxes but that's still true. Those prices are going up because the community is growing and as it grows the cost of public services is going to go up as well.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
dubi
AG
duffelpud said:

Up 47.6% in CS.
Your home value?
Law361
AG
Why are all the brazosCAD numbers N/A right now? Anybody else seeing this? Worked fine for me a couple of days ago.
happyinBCS
N A is all I see
histag10
AG
They had posted that the numbers were all estimates/temporarily, and the final official numbers would he posted later. I assume they took down the temp and are uploading the final numbers.
philothea
91_Aggie said:

jja79 said:

Yes!

My house has more than doubled from purchase price in 6 years! I wish it would have taken 23 years. The reason they gave me was because it would cost more to replace my house and since I have a 10x12 storage addition (enclose porch with no air ducts) on the back and it isn't a regular square/rectangle they bumped me up from a RFP1 class to an RFP2 class. The reason why I was the only house on the block with such a huge jump.
dubi
AG
Quote:

My house has more than doubled from purchase price in 6 years! I wish it would have taken 23 years. The reason they gave me was because it would cost more to replace my house and since I have a 10x12 storage addition (enclose porch with no air ducts) on the back and it isn't a regular square/rectangle they bumped me up from a RFP1 class to an RFP2 class. The reason why I was the only house on the block with such a huge jump.
Space that is not air conditioned or heated should not cause you a big rate jump. That should be treated like a yard shed.
cavscout96
AG
So how does it work?
Expert Analysis
AG
if costco didn't build there would be no additional taxes coming in now or in the future. you offer a tax break now to guarantee tax income in the future. There are typically other stipulations tied to the deal as well such as build times and design requirements.

The current residential property tax system is to arbitrary and needs to be revised. There should not be dramatic swings in the house or land value year to year. They should relate pretty well to other homes in the area and in similar areas across the town.
Someone earlier mentioned their home in Pebble creek had a huge jump. The past couple years I have used comparable sin pebble creek to question my large increases because they were not getting similar increases. Damn guy said it didn't matter that they hadn't increased, I chose to live where I live and it is desirable. I showed him current sale prices were on par with each other... The people in the tax office are pretty much snakes trying to milk out whatever they can from homeowners with no repercussions. There is zero accountability. Abbot siad he was going to do something about it, nothing yet...
cavscout96
AG
I get that, but as stated previously, more folks require more services, which requires more money.

Sweetheart "economic incentives" kick the can down the road for projected future tax revenues. The site and access improvements will have to go in now, the growing population needs fires, police, EMS, water , sewer, gas , electricity now.

Homeowners are milked for the immediate need while corporate retailers get breaks and deferments.

Besides, will we actually see a sales tax gain from Costco? I mean,do they offer something, Sam's or Walmart don't? Wouldn't the retail sales there just occur somewhere else in CS anyway? Is it a gain or just a redistribution of sales.?

Serious question. I've never been in a Costco.
PS3D
cavscout96 said:

I get that, but as stated previously, more folks require more services, which requires more money.

Sweetheart "economic incentives" kick the can down the road for projected future tax revenues. The site and access improvements will have to go in now, the growing population needs fires, police, EMS, water , sewer, gas , electricity now.

Homeowners are milked for the immediate need while corporate retailers get breaks and deferments.

Besides, will we actually see a sales tax gain from Costco? I mean,do they offer something, Sam's or Walmart don't? Wouldn't the retail sales there just occur somewhere else in CS anyway? Is it a gain or just a redistribution of sales.?

Serious question. I've never been in a Costco.

I would say a Costco here (or other better retail) would prevent local dollars from being spent in Houston/Cypress. I don't think it would hurt other supermarkets all that much.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.