Brazos CAD values posted

14,635 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aggiepaintrain
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It doesn't have to be for sale to have a change in value whether ot not it has been updated or improved.

Changing values only after a sale inordinately taxes those who most recently purchased.

What if you bought a house in this market and for some reason the market declined. Would you still favor your taxes being based on the higher market?
AgProgrammer
AG
If the market goes down, or you sell in the future for less than CAD had appraised it in a previous year, do they give you money back? No. That's my problem with them taxing on current year valuations "if" you sold. I'm not selling this year.
spike427
AG
Bought a house in 2010 and disputed the increase 8 times - was successful 7 times. It was consistently out of line with every other house on the street, even the same floor plan.

We sold it last year.

2021 value is LOWER. I don't even have words.

Happy with the new house value, though!
chigger
AG
+24000 here
scd88
AG
-2000 here. Estates of Creek Meadow.
b0ridi
+5,000
jja79
AG
Whether you're selling or not is irrelevant. Each year is different. Markets go up and go down. Under your plan people buying in the current period would typically bear an inordinate percentage of the tax burden. You're free to protest your valuation in any year.
ukbb2003
Up $26k this year. Since I bought it in 2015, it has gone up $100k. $90k of that is the structure on an early 90's home.
One Louder
AG
Ours went up $97,000!!! Wtf!!

Pebble Creek
Wotto
AG
I would get a realtor to run comps for you. Usually if you do your homework and overwhelm them with data you will get a reduction.

Saw on the web that Brazos County Appraisal review Board appeals were successful for 82% of the owners.
pacecar02
Is that a like a 3k jump in taxes owed?

Maybe they'll start mowing your lawn.
Bullpen Chias
AG
I went down a little the last two years after three years of steep increases. I'm near the midtown development. May be the proliferation of the starter homes nearby that's keeping the value down??
aggiegal99
Up $40,000 in Grimes county...in the last four years, our appraisal is up $100,000.
AgsWin2011
AG
scd88 said:

-2000 here. Estates of Creek Meadow.

I'm in the same neighborhood and up 20k. Did yours get built within the last year?
scd88
AG
No. 2016
jwhitlock3
Also in the Estates and ours is way over what it should be (20k over purchase last year). New build so we weren't appraised in 2020 so it should be easy enough to show HUD1 I suspect.
spike427
AG
Do you have a homestead exemption?
One Louder
AG
spike427 said:

Do you have a homestead exemption?

Yes. The $100k is the gross appraisal increase.
Turf96
Would be much nicer if we used all the city and county services on a cost basis. Need police pay x per man hour. Need fire y per man hour. Kids in school will cost you z. No need for kids in school police or fire well this is your flat tax for living here. Would be good but then we couldn't allow 10% of our population To live off me and you. Worse off is we need city county officials to have extreme budgets to pay for their friends a little side work. Life isn't fair and taxes sure aren't anymore. Have no issue paying for some things but think I should be in control of what I spend not slimes politicians that keep voting in more crap I don't use.
histag10
AG
Turf96 said:

Would be much nicer if we used all the city and county services on a cost basis. Need police pay x per man hour. Need fire y per man hour. Kids in school will cost you z. No need for kids in school police or fire well this is your flat tax for living here. Would be good but then we couldn't allow 10% of our population To live off me and you. Worse off is we need city county officials to have extreme budgets to pay for their friends a little side work. Life isn't fair and taxes sure aren't anymore. Have no issue paying for some things but think I should be in control of what I spend not slimes politicians that keep voting in more crap I don't use.

Easier to justify that for fire and ems than it is for police. A lot of the work police do indirectly affect/benefit everyone in the community.
KaneIsAble
AG
Me; $180/ft. Neighbor at entrance to street is $199. Neighbor that I share a property line with that is 800 sq ft more than mine and 18 months newer is $149! How can they be so off based with only 8 houses on the entire street?

Edit- no house is older than 3 years old.
textar4404
Overall valuation down $450. Very happy about that.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Mine doesn't show a homestead exemption.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
KaneIsAble said:

Me; $180/ft. Neighbor at entrance to street is $199. Neighbor that I share a property line with that is 800 sq ft more than mine and 18 months newer is $149! How can they be so off based with only 8 houses on the entire street?

What area or neighborhood?
MemphisAg1
AG
KaneIsAble said:

This. I don't understand how it jumps around so much every year. Five year old house. Initial/down/up/down/up, with swings of about +/- 10%. Can't argue with the latest "up." It's in line with what we paid to build plus very modest inflation. But the volatility is bizarre.
AgProgrammer
AG
Don't worry, they'll tell you that other house is just undervalued and they'll make a note to adjust it next year. Definitely not that yours is overvalued and needs to be adjusted down. At least, that's what I've been told three years in a row in Grimes County each time I show other similar properties at lower values. Low and behold, those other properties I've mentioned the previous year have all had substantial jumps the following year. It's a racket.
YellowPot_97
AG
My rental house went down 7K this year after rising by 63K since 2015.
House I live in went down a whole $150 dollars this year after the lot went up by 53K in 2019.
None of it makes any sense.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
Ours is up $120,000 in the last 3 years with ZERO improvements in Grimes County.

Neighbor needs a new paint job but house is 2,000 sf more, two structures, and 1 acre more and is $20,000 less in value. Makes zero damn sense.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Mine doesn't have a homestead exemption listed. How do I fix that?
trouble
AG
The form is on this page.
https://www.brazoscad.org/forms/
dubi
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Mine doesn't have a homestead exemption listed. How do I fix that?
Get "General Homestead Exemption Form" in right column.
Post removed:
by user
ShinerBlonde
AG
You can email the form in for faster processing or it should be postmarked by April 30th, if mailed, for this year's exemption although you can file up to 2 years after the delinquency date (usually Feb 1 of that year). You must have lived in the home on January 1 of the year you are applying for the exemption on that home.

Edit to say that should have been a response to Sweet Kitten Feet, I responded to the wrong person. Sorry!
cavscout96
AG
Have to pay for the city's new building somehow.

happyinBCS
I live in a patio home the one across the street about same size same year built etc they appraised mine at 146 per foot and the one across the street at 113 per foot I did an e file protest and asked them to give me the neighbors price per foot

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.